How many bikes do you own?

Options
All my friends and family think I am ridiculous for owning 4 bikes. I try to explain to them that each bike serves a different purpose AND I personally don't think 4 is enough. How many rigs do all of you have???

My bikes:

Ibis Mojo SLR, my most used trailbike
Velocite Helios Aeros, my speedy little road bike
Trek 6700WSD, my winter commuter
Specialized Big Hit FSR2, my trusty downhill steed

Replies

• verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    2 for myself, my husband has 2, my son has one, and one for each of the girls. Liable to change at any time as my husband's hobby is to buy and deal used bikes. We are mostly road bikes at this time.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have three: A touring bike, a road bike and a beater bike that I use when it's raining or snowing. My boyfriend teases me about my little stable of bikes, but he has four guitars so his point is invalid.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    DH bike, 6" trail bike, XC bike, rigid singlespeed, road bike. And I'd agree that I think there are still several other bikes I could find a use for. I'd like a CX bike for sure, and could use a utility type bike with baskets and whatnot for going shopping.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I refer to my garage as "my toy cupboard". Two motorbikes and four cycles.

Main bike is a Boardman hybrid, older Merida hybrid is now my general run-around bike, Giant SCR road bike (going to sell this one as I rarely use it) and a skanky MTB which I use for my daily commute to the train station.
  • Spudnut72
    Spudnut72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Three at the moment, plus a few extra in the garage that belong to the kids. About to retire a six year old Giant TCR running Ultegra and looking at a 2014 Cannondale CAAD10.
    Just remember the perfect formula for the number of bikes any keen cyclist should own is:
    N + 1 - with 'N' being the current number owned
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I will never have enough bikes.

I have a heavy.as.hell.37lb.MTB for day to day stuff
    16lb vitus framed custom made TT bike
    2 x 531 road frames with a view to building a road bike and fixie.

And my wife has got a new job, so next April should be able to afford a new one.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    One...just a Giant Rincon mountain bike. I use it a lot around town, on mtb trails, and paved trails, but would like to get a road bike in the near future when I do the longer routes.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have an ever-changing selection :)

Basso - 1980 Italian resto-mod project bike
    Steel frame Single Speed - also a project
    Aluminum HT 26Er mountain bike - Full XT, barely used
    Aluminum Rigid 26ER Mountain Bike - converted to Shopper Bike
    Rigid Single Speed 29ER Mountain
    Alloy Framed Fixie - recent purchase, in pieces

Plus two more vintage frames that may become single speeds or restomods.

Oh and a Alloy frame pursuit bike that was given to me recently

(and I have a 2007 Speed Triple and a 1962 Triumph Tiger that is in many parts)
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Three at the moment, plus a few extra in the garage that belong to the kids. About to retire a six year old Giant TCR running Ultegra and looking at a 2014 Cannondale CAAD10.
    Just remember the perfect formula for the number of bikes any keen cyclist should own is:
    N + 1 - with 'N' being the current number owned

My stable contains
    Hybrid - Ridgeback Nemesis (with internal hub gearing), this one is going next year as it takes forever to change a tyre)
    MTB - Specialized Rockhopper (for taking the dog in the woods and when the weather on the commute gets really bad)
    CX - Pinnacle Arkose 3 - used as a road bike but a bit more sturdy for my 16 stone frame

Planning to get a proper roady next year, strictly for weekends though.

Spudnut - I'm also a fan of the N+1 formula, but always thought that N was the number of bikes your significant other is prepared for you to own :bigsmile:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I think that formula is d-1 (where d=no. of bikes that will result in a divorce)

At the moment i've 3 Bikes

The Dolan - Carbon/Ultegra fast roadbike
    The Planet-X - Aluminium / Ultegra (9 speed old skool!) winter roadbike
    The Inbred 456 - Heavy, Overbuilt Steel Framed XT Geared Hardtail MTB

Then I've 2 others on "long term loan" to a mate...

The Bob Jackson - 531 Custom Frame, Campag record 7 speed Roadbike
    The Dynatech - Hardtail Bonded steel MTB with Pace Elastomer forks and 7 speed XT

And there's lots of "half a bikes" or bare framesets in the loft...

The Dynatech 2070 Frameset
    The Raleigh SPD (Special products division - the section that built the Ti Raleigh Team Framesets)
    The Dawes Super Galaxy 531 Touring Frame
    The Raleigh "Funnybike" TT frame (with it's Campag Ghibli disk wheel and pretzel'ed 24" front)
    and a couple of others...
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    3 Here...

2010 Boardman Team Carbon Road Bike
    2012 Boardman Team CX (Cyclocross)
    1990 Raleigh 'Pioneer' 18 speed Commuter (heavy heap of crap!)
  • pryme57
    pryme57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Two. A Trek Madone 3.1 Road bike and a Trek DS 8.3 Hybrid for light trails and to pull the kids around in their chariot.
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I currently own 5 bikes. I am a true believer in N+1

1-Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 which serves as my primary bike
    2-Trek DS 8.4 trail bike
    3-Motobecane Vent Noir mounted in a trainer and used on horrible weather days.
    4-Serengeti mtn bike
    -Lastly, my newest addition to serve my new area of riding (gravel grinding)
    5-Salsa Vaya 2.

I've put zero miles on the Serengeti this year so I'm giving to our local bicycle redistribution charity. So I'll be at 4 bikes very soon.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have two, Lemond Tourmalet racing bike and a Schwinn mountain bike (from about 20 years ago, when Schwinn was still good and sold only in bike shops)
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    2 "outies": A 2013 Specialize Amira C2 (wahoo!) and Trek Hybrid step thru for day to day. I also have an "innie"": a Sole Spinner bike tpo keep me going in the winter and too damn hot weather. Hubs has a Trek MTB A Wahoo. Oh and an ancient Specialized Rock Hopper.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Trek 7.5 FX hybrid
    Trek 2.1 roadie
    Sunny spin bike (I don't know if that counts)
    An old scrap ten speed Schwinn that I found in a dumpster
    I have some inside info that I might be getting a new single speed for Christmas and I'm also starting to look for a mtn bike. When the BF moves in next month he'll be bringing his mtn bike and his downhill. I'm wondering where will fit all of them.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Only 1 I am not embarrased to speak of.
    Marin Muir Woods 29r - commuter, gravel, dirt, trail(sort of), road and anything I find to ride bike.

There is a BSO (bike shaped object) sitting in my shed that is used when I don't care if it gets stolen (kind of like a bar bike). And a early 90's Specialized Rock Hopper in pieces that is my winter project bike.
  • zummerzet_lou
    zummerzet_lou Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I feel a little more "normal" now.

4 bikes for me:
    1 Giant road bike
    1 Bauer MTB
    1 Specialized sirrus commuting bike
    1 Redline BMX 24" race bike

The trouble is our garage also has to house:
    1 BMX bike,
    1 MTB bike for son

1 BMX bike,
    1 MTB bike for daughter

1 BMX stunt bike,
    2 BMX race bike
    1 MTB bike for husband

You could say we like our bikes! Sure beats Wii / playstation etc any day LOL
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    3 mountain bikes.
    2011 Specialized Epic
    2004 Trek 9700 (completely rebuild after I broke the frame)
    2010 Raleigh XIXX Single Speed

1 road bike
    2007 Specialized Allez

Here is the magic formula:
    B = D - 1

Where:
    B = Number of bikes you can own.
    D = Number of bikes that will cause a divorce.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've got 3 and looking for a 4th!

2009 Jamis Xenith T1- TT
    2012 Jamis Icon Elite- Road
    2010 Jamis Sputnik- SS

All serve their purpose! Hoping to pick up a MB soon and possibly upgrading the TT.