What to do after Insanity?

Options
I know some people have done Insanity here and I'm curious what they recommend for after it's completed. Tomorrow I start week 9 (and though I loved 90% of it, week 8 seemed like it was going to kill me!). A few weeks ago I was really gung-ho on just repeating Insanity, but having experienced the burnout I suffered this week, I'm thinking I might need to try something else. I have Asylum and Les Mills but I'm not sure what's best.

I LOVE the cardio endurance improvements I've gotten with insanity (in the beginning I spend half the time collapsed on my mat and wondering what sort of drugs the people in the video were on to move like that!) and I've seen great physical improvements as well. Muscles where there was just flab, clothes that are suddenly quite loose, a breakthrough of the plateau that tormented me most of the summer... these are the reasons I had initially wanted to repeat insanity. But like I said, week 8 nearly killed me for some reason, I felt like I was overdone and couldn't keep up with some of the workouts and absolutely didn't have any of my best performances (except maybe with today's max recovery, but I hate that workout with such a passion that I cannot even describe!).

I'm leaning towards Asylum, but I'm also fearing the burnout will follow me there because it's Shaun T and some of the same people in the videos. I'm fearing that Asylum or Insanity again are my only options for keeping the gains I've made in endurance, but I don't want to feel locked into the same workouts for the rest of time.

Any ideas? I'd love to hear some input!

Replies

• teamryan90
    teamryan90 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I would do Asylum next then Les Mills. There is really nothing out there than can compare to the intense Insanity workouts. Asylum is like Insanity on steroids. You will still get intense cardio with it, plus there is an athletic performance element to it.
    You will be breathing hard, sweating, and will wind up sore after it all.

Other programs to consider are Les Mills Combat, and Focus T25. Both of these have intense cardio elements, but mix in some good strength too.
  • alexsandstrom1982
    Options
    I would lean towards Asylum too. It is another great program that is normally done after Insanity since you are in top shape.

Les Mills Combat is another great cardio. I have yet to try Focus T25 but I hope to some day.

You are doing great. Keep up the great job.