Chlorine!!!

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Anyone have tips how to get smell off the skin? I find that it takes at least 3 showers and by then its time to swim again!!

Replies

• ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Stop trying and embrace it. It's who you are. On the upside, if your skin absorbs enough of it, your sweat will be chlorinated, and no bacteria which produce body odor will be able to grow. Just think of all the money you'll save on deodorant! (totally not serious about that part)
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    /\
    |

This

Enjoy the smell. There are many things worse. Most people will just think you smell clean. I don't know if there is any anti-bacterial properties to my sweat, but it does smell a bit like chlorine when it first starts.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    But smell aside even, it makes me itchy!
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Two words will help you combat the itchy: Cocoa Butter. It might help with the smell too.
  • SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Swim in the ocean and avoid Chlorine
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Dove shower soft soap works great.
    I don't even notice the chlorine smell anymore. I swim 2.5 miles a day minimum. More on weekends.
    I love the smell of chlorine in the morning. It smells like victory :bigsmile:
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    lotion. definitely lotion.
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    But smell aside even, it makes me itchy!

Yeah, I deal with that. I googled like mad and found little info. From what I've found, it can either be a reaction to the chlorine absorbed by the skin or it can be from bacteria that lives in the pool. If it gets worse right when you shower, that's more likely the chlorine because the water soaks in and takes the chlorine deeper.

On thing that I've found helpful is REALLY hot water when I shower.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I realize that something else I do is to suds my chlorine removal shampoo all over by body.

Or, you could try a chlorine removal soap like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Solutions-Soap-Bar/dp/B00021VCVS
  • logan_t
    logan_t Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Definitely get yourself some chlorine removal shampoo. Here's a 4-pack of what I use. I've only ever bought a bottle at a time... but I have significantly less hair on my head ;)

http://www.amazon.com/UltraSwim-Chlorine-Removal-Shampoo-7-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B001ET76OO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376407924&sr=8-1&keywords=ultraswim

They also make a conditioner, if you're into that. I use Dial bar soap for cleaning the smell off the rest of me.

Another thing that works is sweating it out with a non-pool workout the morning following your pool workout.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I use cephaphil soap and body lotion and that works for me. I use ION shampoo and conditioner in the blue bottle. It's the best for hair that I have ever used.

My big problem is that I swallow so much water swimming that my farts smell like chlorine!!:noway:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Emma, have you tried Boot's Sun Swim & Gym range of shampoo and conditioners? They also do a protection masque which you can apply to your hair before you swim, although I've never personally used that, so I can't say how effective it is.

Certainly I found that by using the shampoo and conditioner it reduced the smell of chlorine, although I also used a nice shower gel afterwards too.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Life is so much easier for guys. Short hair and we don't care as much about how we smell.
    Also seems that unless one has a skin condition, we are less prone to dry skin too.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    elbence is funny,
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Life is so much easier for guys. Short hair and we don't care as much about how we smell.
    Also seems that unless one has a skin condition, we are less prone to dry skin too.
    I don't know about that. I found as a side-effect of the chlorinated water the hair on my arms and chest shrunk and became more wiry - no matter how much conditioner or cocoa butter I lavished on it. It returned to normal after a couple of months out of the pool. :ohwell:
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Will have a look but think some of those products wont be available in New Zealand but hopefully there will be similar things. Thanks!
  • evilwatersprite
    Options
    I'm weird in that I like the smell of chlorine but I do try to counteract the itchy factor and its effects on my hair.

I like SwimSpray. It's a spray bottle of essentially water and vitamin c that neutralizes the chlorine. You rinse your hair and body and then spray it on both. Then proceed with your shower routine.

http://www.swimspray.com/

I also put conditioner on the ends of my hair before putting my cap on. And after I get out of the shower, I try to remember to put lotion on. Which one varies by season. In the dead of winter, my legs get so dry and itchy that I have to bust out the tub of Cetaphil.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I found that any kind of "clarifying" or "chleating" shampoo works well to get the chlorine out- without the expense of the special swimming versions. Suave has a cheap one for about $2.

For skin, I make my own body sugar scrub. Olive oil, brown sugar & honey. It keeps my skin from drying out and seems to get the smell of chlorine out too.
  • fishgutzy
    Options

I don't know about that. I found as a side-effect of the chlorinated water the hair on my arms and chest shrunk and became more wiry - no matter how much conditioner or cocoa butter I lavished on it. It returned to normal after a couple of months out of the pool. :ohwell:

Same here. My wife says my legs feel like I shaved.
    hair on my arms and legs has thinned a lot. But it is a price I'm will to pay for swimming 2.5 miles a day minimum. :bigsmile:
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    try showering before you swim