glucose tolerance test and PG

Options
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1108325-glucose-tolerance-and-low-carb-diet

Can you guys please read my post here and give your opinion. I not sure what to do abt the test , refuse or go through it :/

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If you fail the test, it means your child needs you to eat differently while you're growing him/her. I'm not sure why you would refuse the test?
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    well , this is baby 7 for me , ive never failed the test and I eat a diet that the nutritionist would have me on if I were to fail the gtt. I was hoping someone who can tell me the effect of eating low carb and taking the 50g of glucose. how would my body handle this if its not used to eating it ... anyone?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be best to discuss with a medical professional? I mean, we're just a bunch of goofs on the internet. It would be terrible if you followed advice given here, and something bad happened.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Since when did 200-300g qualify as low carb?

I doubt that 50g will make that much of a difference if you're eating that many carbs normally. And calorie-wise, 200 calories, in the grand scheme of things (especially when you're pregnant) isn't that much. Yeah, they're empty, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. If the 50g was your total limit, then you'd probably have cause for concern. But for how many carbs you eat now? I doubt it will have the effect you're fearing.

That said, I agree with the others - why not talk to your doctor about it? Explain how you feel about it and work with him/her to decide the best course of action.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When I had my GD test a few weeks back (this was the 3 hour one because it seems like I ALWAYS fail the first one...not sure what's up with that but whatever), I was required to have consumed AT LEAST 150g of carbs for three days before the test. I would ask what their requirements are and then go from there.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you think you'll fail the test.

It doesn't matter if you think you're currently eating the "answer diet" to the failed test.

You need to go take the test, as per your doctor's instructions, because it's about the child, not about you.

Sometimes it cannot be controlled with diet alone.

Go take the test.

Please.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Why would you skip the test in any case? It gives you information. You may fail it or you won't' who knows?!? The test itself doesn't do any harm. If you fail it, it is upto you what are you doing with that information.

Also it is very confusing the information you wrote regarding your carb intake. On the other thread you say you eat 200-300 carb. Do you eat 200-300 grams of carb a day? That is anything but low carb...
    Or do you eat 200-300 calories from carb a day? which translate to 50-75 grams a carb a day. There is a huge difference between these 2 types of diet. None of them necessary best during pregnancy though.

If you eat according to the primal lifestyle and follow Mark's recommendation, I would suggest to aim for the maintenance range carb level on Mark's carbohydrate curve . This is 100-150 g, which is plenty enough for the proper development of the fetus brain, but low enough to control gestation diabetes if you have it.
  • mommyblessed7
    Options
    Nope I dont eat 200-300 a day , I eat under 200 , but I was saying through this pg when I went to a party it got to (almost) 300. I eat around 175 on average since pg , before pg I was struggling for 75 carbs.

Yes I know you are a bunch of goofs on the net , Im not an idiot and I should hope anyone who was asking for personal experience stories would take it with a grain of salt as I do. I happen to be a nurse and also happen to know that the medical professionals dont know much about nutrition. I do however have a dietician friend I consult. I was looking for personal experience not judgement. But I can't say I didnt expect it!

Thanks all you goofs ;)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Nope I dont eat 200-300 a day , I eat under 200 , but I was saying through this pg when I went to a party it got to (almost) 300. I eat around 175 on average since pg
    If you eat 175 g a day that is almost exactly the recommendation they will give you if you fail the glucose test. My friend had PCOS and insulin resistance prior to pregnany and her dr was handling her as having GD from the moment she got pregnant. She constantly monitor her urine ketone, glucose at home sometimes fingerprick blood tests too and go for the glucose test once a month. She was doing low carb ( not paleo) prior pregnancy and her dr told to increase carb to 125g and later 150 g. She was still constantly had ketones at that level, so recently had to increased carb to 175 g around 30week gestation.

You already adjusted your carb to this level so that is good. The only annoying thing is they make you spread out carbs and calories for multiple small meals and stilly advice agains interminnent fasting with GD.
  • mommyblessed7
    Options
    Thank you redhead!
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would just take the test and not analyze the carbs you eat, the carbs you don't eat, etc. I'd take it and if you fail it, talk to your doctor.

I think if I was on Baby No. 7, I'd probably just be at the point where I'd skip the doctor and have a home birth ;-)

Congrats on the baby!
  • mommyblessed7
    Options
    kkeri! How I wish to be home for birth! lol I have 2 antibodies that only affect pregnancy so unfortunately Im high risk ! No midwife would have me :P Im blessed to have a good doc and can get as close to normal/natural as possible! Thanks for your post!