Headache equal weight gain?

papa369
papa369 Posts: 31 Member
I get Cluster Headaches. I have to take 4 separate shots plus 3 different types of pills every hour of these headaches. A few days ago I got a one and the next day I had gained 6 pounds and was extremely constipated. Does anyone else suffer from these? I had been tracking my weight daily then at the end of the week I would divide the total number by 7 and figure that was what my real weight loss for the week was. Right now I'm so bummed out I feel like throwing this whole T/2 diabetic diet out the window. I spent 2 whole weeks watching everything I ate only to have it all go away because of something I have no control over. I did not asked to be straddled with cluster headaches and the whole batch of injections and pills you have to take just to survive this form of a headache. I'm sorry I'm just venting out loud otherwise I'd go out and eat the biggest cheeseburger, fries and milkshakes I could find. I hate this diabetes things. Sorry, I'm new to Diabetes, have had the cluster headaches for many years. I'm on week 5 of my Doctor suggested diet. One serving of red meat (3 to 4 ounces) per week. 30 to 40 carbs per meal. I'm a newly retired long haul truck driver and I've always eaten most of my meal out. I usually eat in fast foods places or big truck stops. My wife also just retired and she is trying really hard to cook right but I feel like all I can eat is water and green vegetable which is one of my least favorite foods. Does anyone ever get used to eating like this or does anyone else suffer from this type of headache

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Sorry about your struggles. I don't suffer from cluster headaches, but I have a friend that does. It can be quite debilitating.

I remember the first few months after being diagnosed, the thought of overhauling our diet was intimidating. I live in the South, my diet was basically deep fried everything. We (me and my wife) took on the lifestyle change in small steps, making a small change here and a small change there. For example substituting sweet potato for white potato. Having fish more often. Cutting out the fast food. Over months the little changes added up to big changes. Eventually we added regular exercise to our weekly routine. Over the course of a year we changed our lifestyle entirely. A funny thing happened along the way - I actually enjoy the food I'm eating and I feel better than I have in years. Change happens.

TMI alert. I also suffered from some constipation when I changed my diet. More fiber and more water helped. I also think that more fat in the diet is also helpful for constipation and blood sugar control, but your doctor may not approve.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Don't despair over the weight gain. The only way you could possibly truly gain 6 lbs would be to have eaten 21,000 calories MORE than what you need to maintain your current weight. That's one heck of a lot of food. The weight is probably a result of the constipation and some water retention due to your medications. It should drop back off as your system returns to normal.

Also, not only will you get used to eating this way, but you'll probably even start to like it. :)