Great guide for ketogenic dieting

Options
2»

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    My reading has lead me to believe that we can possibly stay in ketosis with as much as 50 carbs a day. Don't know if that is true, but I was allowing myself to go that high from nuts and high fiber veggies because of subtracting the fiber. Then I read that the fiber really isn't as 'free' as I thought. :(

I read that too much protein can get in the way of ketosis. Yet for muscle gain, protein is good.

I also read that for carb cycling, on the days of high carbing, one should eat low fat that day.

It's all so complicated, isn't it?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    To induce gluconeogenesis (sugar being made from non-sugar like protein) you'd have to eat a LOT more protein than fats, and it's also a really slow process. Yeah, it would prevent ketosis, but you'd have to eat like 2lbs of lean beef in one sitting.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have definitely learned that I have to keep protein in check. I do this by following the tactic Golightly17 recommended -- i.e., having fat with every meal -- and I gave up having some kind of meat throughout the day. I usually do a bulletproof coffee for breakfast (which is almost all fat), then I'll have just a little bit of protein and lunch and save the bulk of my protein allowance for dinner in the form of a steak, bacon, fish, turkey, etc.

I don't worry on the days that I end up having a bit extra protein than intended (I think for me that's better than going over on carbs), but too much protein can have an impact.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    bump

great info links!
  • ksutte
    ksutte Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump thnx!
  • oliverlemon
    Options
    thx, i hv failed to hv lchf ..i cant control my mouth :(
  • clarekendall35
    Options
    I use this guide to calculate my macros, Just have to remember to recalculate every couple of weeks as the weight decreases.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • ohkatherinewheel
    ohkatherinewheel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great post!! :happy:
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options
    My reading has lead me to believe that we can possibly stay in ketosis with as much as 50 carbs a day. Don't know if that is true, but I was allowing myself to go that high from nuts and high fiber veggies because of subtracting the fiber. Then I read that the fiber really isn't as 'free' as I thought. :(

I read that too much protein can get in the way of ketosis. Yet for muscle gain, protein is good.

I also read that for carb cycling, on the days of high carbing, one should eat low fat that day.

It's all so complicated, isn't it?

No kidding! I don't know if the limits are different for different people or not - but I'll come out of ketosis sometimes right at 30g. My fat is set to 55% though, lower than most people(trying to stave off muscle loss since I'm working towards powerlifting competitions), so I can't say whether or not the higher protein is playing a role in that. I just know that I'm typically not in deep ketosis and if I so much as look at carbs - bam - I'm out.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can check the links.
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Tagging so I can find this again
  • elsapm
    elsapm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump to revisit this later! Thanks for sharing!