good article

Options
deksgrl
deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
I don't know if this person is part of this group, but I stumbled upon her blog post with an excellent article:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Momma_Grizz/view/menopausal-weight-gain-war-zone-576021

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love this!!!! I've been saying for months now that menopause is a form or causes a form of insulin resistance. people (even on mfp) look at me like I have two heads.
    Only my dear husband (a scientist) thinks I am spot on, though he doesn't know why. He just sees me eating "clean" as I have for ages. Eating a tad less and working out more and barely maintaining my weight. He suggested trying to eat a PCOS style diet. (which, in reality, isn't far from where I am eating now!)

Thanks for posting this! I think she is/was a member. The name is familiar.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! Bumping to read through again later.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have two heads also! This was a very nice reminder of what I have experienced myself. Having been carbo-sensitive before this it is even more important I watch my intake.
    Now, if I could just lift weights.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I love lifting weights. Even though I still have a belly on me, the rest of me is looking amazing, and I really like to be stronger. I can do so many things now that used to be a struggle. It feels good. And I despise cardio, I didn't realize how much until I started lifting.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Deksgrl, what a fantastic article! Will want to read this again and again during the menopausal journey. I especially noted that she is reducing her sugary fruits... my fruits send me soaring over daily sugar goals regularly!

Thanks so much for sharing this :).
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    thanks for some good info to try incorporating into my life! :-)
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading at home. Thanks so much. Excellent info!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights. Even though I still have a belly on me, the rest of me is looking amazing, and I really like to be stronger. I can do so many things now that used to be a struggle. It feels good.

Lifting makes me feel ten feet tall and bulletproof! It is an amazing feeling to enjoy feeling strong and healthy. I still do cardio (love working up a sweat and that endorphin rush), but nothing else provides that shot of confidence for me like lifting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I love lifting weights. Even though I still have a belly on me, the rest of me is looking amazing, and I really like to be stronger. I can do so many things now that used to be a struggle. It feels good.

Lifting makes me feel ten feet tall and bulletproof! It is an amazing feeling to enjoy feeling strong and healthy. I still do cardio (love working up a sweat and that endorphin rush), but nothing else provides that shot of confidence for me like lifting.
    Agree about lifting, and have recently discovered mat pilates makes me feel the same way. There's something about getting in the zone and accomplishing a ridiculously hard pose like side plank/thread the needle that makes me fee fabulous.
  • samedame
    Options
    I believe this article, mainly because I have been eating high protein and drastically reduced starches in my diet, ALSO gave up on strenuous exercise and doing just walking....all of the sudden the weight actually is starting to come off. My big problem now is gassy bloating and...passing gas. That is not too entertaining. And I am eating the salad with viniagrette and still gassy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I believe this article, mainly because I have been eating high protein and drastically reduced starches in my diet, ALSO gave up on strenuous exercise and doing just walking....all of the sudden the weight actually is starting to come off. My big problem now is gassy bloating and...passing gas. That is not too entertaining. And I am eating the salad with viniagrette and still gassy.
    Yup. Seems to make sense doesn't it?
  • stl_nana
    stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great article. Explains so much.

Thanks for sharing
  • deksgrl
    Options
    A friend of mine shared this article with me. I want to put it here to share with you all and also as a bookmark so I know where to find it again when I want to re-read it.

http://www.womentowomen.com/insulinresistance/whatisinsulinresistance.aspx
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    A friend of mine shared this article with me. I want to put it here to share with you all and also as a bookmark so I know where to find it again when I want to re-read it.

http://www.womentowomen.com/insulinresistance/whatisinsulinresistance.aspx
    Thanks for this. I swear I've been telling hubs for a while now that menopause can lead to insulin resistance.
    I just looked at my numbers. They didn't check insulin this time, but my fasting glucose was 92.

I like their dietary guidelines. Very similar to South Beach and other "slow carb" diets.
    Thanks again for posting!
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting the links to both of these articles. :smile:

Now, off to do some kettle bells!:angry: (my tough lifting weights work out face)