sweeteners

astartig
astartig Posts: 549 Member
so when it comes to the fake sugars, they have carbs. but from reading stuff here it looks like they are acceptable. how does that work with the carb count?

Replies

• Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    The powdered faux sugars have carbs because of the fillers they use. Liquid stevia, in my opinion, is best to use to avoid the fillers. By fake sugars are you also referring to things like maltitol and/or sugar alcohols? Technically sugar alcohols can be subtracted from gross carb count because of the negligible effect on blood sugar or insulin. Maltitol, which is in a lot of sugar free chocolates, is a sugar substitute I would personally avoid- it has a glycemic effect and can cause stalls.
  • astartig
    stevia and that eri---- something ma tol or however it's spelled are the ones I was thinking of.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Yeah that maltitol is the devil. It's always stalled me and made me puff up. There's a lot about it online. Not all sugar alcohols are bad though. If you're looking for a chocolate treat, Lilly's chocolate is pretty good and low carb without anything crazy in it.
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    i've found that splenda has alot of carbs compared to nativa & equal.
  • astartig
    Yeah that maltitol is the devil. It's always stalled me and made me puff up. There's a lot about it online. Not all sugar alcohols are bad though. If you're looking for a chocolate treat, Lilly's chocolate is pretty good and low carb without anything crazy in it.

yeah I bought a lilly's chocolate bar tonight. that was what made me comment actually, not sure how to log it. (haven't tried it yet) does the erith-whatever it is, that is called out on the carb count something you count as a straight carb or not? because it's actually higher in carbs if that is counted than normal dark chocolate.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    I enter Lily's as net carbs, with the fiber and erythritol removed. If its Lily's with almonds, you should be able to copy it from my diary for most days this week.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Where to you buy these Lily 's chocolates ? Sounds good to me as I sit, sipping my bulletproof coffee.....it's FRIDAY !!!!!
  • astartig
    I got my bar at whole foods.

the other thing that is really good that is somewhat low carb ( I usually eat a quarter of one with almond butter)

http://www.hailmerry.com/miracle-tarts

they are about 4 bucks at whole foods per tart (Their online price is super spendy)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    I get mine (Lily's Chocolate) at Wegmans, in their "Nature's Place" section (the organic, gluten free, specialty stuff). I think they are $4 each. I love, love, love them. They have Dark Chocolate with Almond; Dark Chocolate with Coconut; and a regular Dark Chocolate.

I did order from Amazon once. Mixed results. The chocolate had not been in a controlled environment - it looked like had melted at some point and it messed up the texture. That said, they did a great job crediting me what I paid when I reported the issue..

Lily's is sweetened with erythritol and stevia - my favorite sweetener combo!
  • emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    I'm **** scared of aspartame and co - it's just too controversial in my opinion, too much scaremongering and studies done, also I believe that it played a role in my mother's untimely death (she used artificial sweeteners daily for decades) - it's difficult as I miss sweet things but I think I'll stay away from it :(