Embracing Keto for Life, Can I Do it Veggie?

Options
Twylashea
Twylashea Posts: 42 Member
I have been a vegetarian for 10 years, and prior to that I never really enjoyed meat. It had to be smothered in some sort of sauce or condiment. Every little speck of fat had to be trimmed. Pieces like drumsticks and wings would totally gross me out with all the "parts". (Sorry...) I've always struggled with textures.

Anyway, I am for Keto for Life. Seriously. The last month physically and mentally has been one of the best I've had since childhood. I am certain it's all due to Keto because nothing else has changed, in fact some stressors have gotten a little worse.

But long term veggie-keto? As I said, I never really liked meat, and I've liked the fake meats even less. Tofu in itself is ok, if it's baked crispy but that's some work on a daily basis.

I am also struggling to meet my protein requirments on a daily basis. And the carbs in the few fake meats I like are eating up my available carbs for all the veggies I do love.

So I am seriously considering incorporating meat and fish back into my diet, but I have no idea where to start. I know my texture issues have not gone away, and I'd hate to ruin the whole thing by eating something that makes it all worse.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was a veggie for three years but went back to eating meat long before keto. Start with things that have flavor but won't have the texture, like bone broth is great. It's super healthy too. Then maybe move on to textures that wouldn't bother you, maybe ground meat or some kind of meat terrine where it is pureed. Do you eat eggs now? If not, those are pretty much the perfect food and can be prepared in so many ways. Keep in mind your tastes may have changed while doing keto. I used to be grossed out by fat on meat too, but now I eat it and enjoy it. And chicken skin (crispy) is awesome (though that's fat not protein. Good luck, I do think if you want to do keto long-term getting protein from animal sources will help you be successful.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    Try slow cooking some good quality chicken breast and shredding it. It takes on the flavor of whatever you season it with (can go simple with good salt, ground pepper, onion, garlic or maybe use taco seasoning and broth) and it doesn't resemble any of the "parts"... makes a good salad or melt some cheese on top or stuff it in peppers mixed with cream cheese. Super versatile.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You don't need a ton of protein for keto. You need fats. You could stay veggie, even, from what I read. You can eat your veggies with nice oils or mayo or cheese or cream sauce.

I try not to eat too much protein myself because too much protein turns to glycogen.
  • Twylashea
    Twylashea Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was thinking chicken or turkey may be good to start with. I wasn't thinking of sauces because I've been avoiding them but I'm sure I could figure something out. Maybe a butter/cheese sauce to make up for the lack of fats compared to pork and beef?

I'm just scared of loosing muscle and am trying to meet the min of 50-60g per day. This is hard with just cheese, butter and oils. I can meet it with a protein shake but would like to have all my nutrients be from real foods eventually.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
  • TPlenge
    TPlenge Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was a former vegetarian, but I added fish. I had difficulty getting my protein macro too, until I started adding a scoop of zero carb protein powder. You can reach your protein without using up your carb count in the process. When you reach your goal weight you can raise up your carbs to a higher level that still lets you maintain.

edit* Oh I see you are already wrote about using protein powder.