Your body fat percentage, your feelings about it.

Options

Replies

• missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    True story: I had a dexa scan that confirmed a very lean bodyfat level for a woman. It truly didn't make my life one bit better or solve any problems or make me feel better about myself. I was clearly very lean and now I had a number to put on it. Then I busted my *kitten* and overtime saw changes in my body that were noticed not only by me, but by family members, friends, perfect strangers.

I thought I should get another scan done over a year after the first...I wondered how much muscle I had gained. So I went, but I had to go to a different place because the place I got my original scan at was no more. I had it done and low and behold!! The numbers came out different and showed a slightly higher bf% (definitely within a margin of error) and a slightly lower lean mass!!! This is after over a year of progressive heavy lifting, veins all over my body, an increase in muscular definition that is noticeable by anyone looking. I couldn't help but feel a little disconcerted.

Once I had time to digest it, I came to the conclusion that the differences in my body over time are probably not going to be measurable, especially not by different machines with different calibrations- there is still a margin of error and these changes, while visually noticeable (I didn't start with much bodyfat to begin with), are just not easily measurable. The dexa operator did tell me that the numbers the scan puts out tend to be 5-7 percentage points higher than other methods like calipers.

So the moral to my story is, don't let numbers rule how you feel. And...when people throw out bodyfat percent numbers, they are often VERY underestimated and they are most definitely not very accurate.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I care, but only from a stats point of view. I don't take it to heart. For me, I was prepared for the number and ready to move forward. I've literally spent 6 years doing minimal physical activity until the past 4 months. I've got a long road and I'm thankful for this board. You're right, no reason to take it too seriously. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    True story: I had a dexa scan that confirmed a very lean bodyfat level for a woman. It truly didn't make my life one bit better or solve any problems or make me feel better about myself. I was clearly very lean and now I had a number to put on it. Then I busted my *kitten* and overtime saw changes in my body that were noticed not only by me, but by family members, friends, perfect strangers.

I thought I should get another scan done over a year after the first...I wondered how much muscle I had gained. So I went, but I had to go to a different place because the place I got my original scan at was no more. I had it done and low and behold!! The numbers came out different and showed a slightly higher bf% (definitely within a margin of error) and a slightly lower lean mass!!! This is after over a year of progressive heavy lifting, veins all over my body, an increase in muscular definition that is noticeable by anyone looking. I couldn't help but feel a little disconcerted.

Once I had time to digest it, I came to the conclusion that the differences in my body over time are probably not going to be measurable, especially not by different machines with different calibrations- there is still a margin of error and these changes, while visually noticeable (I didn't start with much bodyfat to begin with), are just not easily measurable. The dexa operator did tell me that the numbers the scan puts out tend to be 5-7 percentage points higher than other methods like calipers.

So the moral to my story is, don't let numbers rule how you feel. And...when people throw out bodyfat percent numbers, they are often VERY underestimated and they are most definitely not very accurate.

^^I had an issue with a DEXA scan I had done last year. It was obviously very wrong. It's hard not to take it to heart a bit. Nowadays, I rely on eyeballing BF%, measurements, scale and what I see in the mirror as well as progress I am making in the gym - they do not tell the whole story individually, but combine to get a good gauge as to what is going on. For example, I am 'about' the same BF% as I was before my bulk. My measurements are lower by a decent amount (proportionately) but the scale is only down by 1lb. What that means specifically - who knows. But it does mean that I am leaner. When you get down to a few percentage points and a few lbs here and there, it is just too close (and not very meaningful) to pinpoint a number.

Also, what does it change? Will (should) you change your routine? Will it make you happier/unhappier with what you see in the mirror? Will your strength change? Will your clothes fit differently?...no....so, while it is natural/human nature to tend to hang a lot of importance on the number (I do it myself), it's not really meaningful in the scheme of things.

Another point to make is that it tells you nothing about BF distribution (as Prof Rat mentioned). From a health perspective, fat distribution is as important in some cases as your BF%. So is it from an aesthetics perspective. Personally, if I was told that I had to stay at a certain bf% forever, and had a choice between someone at say 22% BF% with a less preferable distribution for my personal tastes v someone at say 26% with a BF distribution that was more in line with my tastes re aesthetics - I would pic the 26% BF one.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    While I would like the idea of being a certain BF%; I go mostly by the what the mirror shows.

Yes I still weigh myself and take measurements every now and then, but my clothes and the mirror are my true reflection of progress.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    This is why I ignore body fat%. I use skinfold measurements as a a metric of progress, but I couldn't give less of a **** about whether it means 20% or 18%. Measurements are hard numbers and the best way to gauge progress in my opinion.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I cried after I received my DEXA bf% estimate. I laugh about it now. I am choosing to blame my lady hormones. Stupid lady hormones...

While I think a bf% goal may be better than an arbitrary weight goal, I see this becoming problematic for people as well. What is considered a healthy bf% (one below the point where evidence suggests increased health risks) is way higher than what it seems most people think (particularly when adjusting for age AND/OR fat distribution). It is so easy to get too wrapped up in any kind of arbitrary goal.

So, not only is a more accurate estimate useful SO IS more information regarding healthy goals. Vanity goals are fine, but too often people will proclaim their arbitrary vanity goal as being "healthier" than another when there is no evidence to support the claim. I think there is a wider range of healthy body fat goals than most people realize and it is really helpful to keep things in perspective. In other words, no crying after you get your average bf% estimate and it falls within the very healthy range but isn't as low as the vanity goal arbitrarily set by those around you on MFP just because you've got a lot of "junk in your trunk" :wink: .

On my DEXA report (from my doctor) the following information is given. I'll bet many people will be shocked by these ranges.

"Health Standards represent the percentage of body fat that generally does not increase your risks for health problems."

Health Standards
    Men <40 8-22%
    Men >40 10-25%

Women <40 20-35%
    Women >40 25-38%

Fat distribution matters as well, so one would want to look at Android (trunk fat) Gynoid (lower body fat) ratio and not JUST average bf.

Slightly off topic, but does this mean a woman over 40 should not have a BF% under 25? That's news to me.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Love this post. It demonstrates how important mental well being and self esteem is in this process. If internally you think "you're not quite good enough" then numbers, whether scale or BF%, have more power over the way you see yourself.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a natural stats geek - so numbers and measurements always mean a lot to me!

Body fat percentage is important to me, so I know that when I add weight, it isn't just fat coming back. I cant rely on my estimates in the mirror - in my eyes I always look the same, no matter how I actually look. I went all the way from 78kg up to 100, and then back, without really looking any different in the mirror. (Of course, when I look at old photos I can see now - but I never noticed at the time!)

Maybe the actual precise percentage doesnt matter - and there is such a thing as too little fat too. But for me, its a really important guide (so your estimate made me happy!!)

The only bad thing about BF measurement is its so inaccurate - mine fluctuates from machine to machine (except the never changing caliper measurement)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a natural stats geek - so numbers and measurements always mean a lot to me!

Body fat percentage is important to me, so I know that when I add weight, it isn't just fat coming back. I cant rely on my estimates in the mirror - in my eyes I always look the same, no matter how I actually look.

Maybe the actual precise percentage doesnt matter - and there is such a thing as too little fat too. But for me, its a really important guide (so your estimate made me happy!!)

A confounding issue is that most body fat analysis methods have significant error in them.

I would argue that if you are doing things correctly (resistance training, appropriate caloric and macro intake, etc) then the scale can readily serve as a proxy for making progress in body fat reduction.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    How do I feel about it? I feel better this week about my bf% than I did last week, but not as good as I will feel about it next week. :bigsmile:

I'm confident I know mine within a +/-5% tolerance, but I have learned I just need to focus on doing the right thing consistently. I use the mirror, the tape measure and performance in the gym as more reliable measures, particularly while I am still >15%.

Funny how my standards of measure have changed actually. First I relied on the scale (for faaaaar too long!), then the holes on my belt, then the tape measure.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I cried after I received my DEXA bf% estimate. I laugh about it now. I am choosing to blame my lady hormones. Stupid lady hormones...

While I think a bf% goal may be better than an arbitrary weight goal, I see this becoming problematic for people as well. What is considered a healthy bf% (one below the point where evidence suggests increased health risks) is way higher than what it seems most people think (particularly when adjusting for age AND/OR fat distribution). It is so easy to get too wrapped up in any kind of arbitrary goal.

So, not only is a more accurate estimate useful SO IS more information regarding healthy goals. Vanity goals are fine, but too often people will proclaim their arbitrary vanity goal as being "healthier" than another when there is no evidence to support the claim. I think there is a wider range of healthy body fat goals than most people realize and it is really helpful to keep things in perspective. In other words, no crying after you get your average bf% estimate and it falls within the very healthy range but isn't as low as the vanity goal arbitrarily set by those around you on MFP just because you've got a lot of "junk in your trunk" :wink: .

On my DEXA report (from my doctor) the following information is given. I'll bet many people will be shocked by these ranges.

"Health Standards represent the percentage of body fat that generally does not increase your risks for health problems."

Health Standards
    Men <40 8-22%
    Men >40 10-25%

Women <40 20-35%
    Women >40 25-38%

Fat distribution matters as well, so one would want to look at Android (trunk fat) Gynoid (lower body fat) ratio and not JUST average bf.

Slightly off topic, but does this mean a woman over 40 should not have a BF% under 25? That's news to me.

No, I don't think it does. They suggested that lower could be achieved healthily by athletes and/or people who are involved in long term training of some kind. So, I would think someone who is lean with a good amount of muscle mass would easily not have any increased health risks at a lower body fat percentage than the "health standards" range suggests.
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this SS. While I still have a sneaky little bf% goal, I am trying to focus on strength goals instead.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, I am just that person who has moved on from weight to BF% goals. I'm 45 yrs with a supposed BF % of 23 (by scale) but I don't look like someone with that %. My issue with comparing pictures is that the ones that I've seen are of non-saggy, young people...when you get a bit older, doesn't general skin tone make a difference to the appearance BF%? For me I guess that as long as the number is going down though, it doesn't matter what the actual number is.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i recently had the dexa scan done for the first time. i expected to be 26-27% (based on the stupid omron handheld device and visual estimate of myself and from our wonderful moderators), the scan results turned out to be 33.6%.

obviously higher than i thought or would like to be, but after a brief moment of disappointment, i shrugged it off as another data point to plot in my excel spreadsheet for tracking.

it's actually served as a great motivator for me. i had gotten a little complacent after reaching a lot of my goals and let some of the weight creep back up (about 8lbs). this kind of gave me a wake up call that there's still work to be done.
  • SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I also recently had a dexa scan done, it was my second scan. I didn't know what to expect for my first one, so I just used that number as a baseline to track progress. At the time I wanted to find out my lean mass so I could set my macros more accurately. Knowing an 'accurate' number didn't make me feel differently about myself. BF% is just one of a number of things I use to motivate myself.

I did use my results from the second scan to get confirmation that I'm on the right track exercise-wise and diet-wise. Of the weight I lost, almost all of it was fat and I managed to retain almost all of my muscle mass. Even taking into account that there is a margin of error, I figured those to be good results.

Honestly the mirror and progressing in my exercise routines are enough to make me happy with myself, but I lurve my spreadsheets.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    SS, you have never estimated my bf%, but here is why I would be bummed: I have seen that picture that floats around, with women's bodies at various bf%. I think my body looks closest to the 30% lady, but I have this sneaking suspicion that my perception of my body is off -- that I am actually bigger in reality than I think I am. So if I found out my bf% were 5 or 10 or whatever percent higher than my personal best guess, then my suspicion would be confirmed that I am not as slim as I think I am. :sad:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    While I would like the idea of being a certain BF%; I go mostly by the what the mirror shows.

Yes I still weigh myself and take measurements every now and then, but my clothes and the mirror are my true reflection of progress.

I was trying to figure out exactly how to verbalize my feelings on the matter. Then I read the above. Yeah - that's me.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Nowadays, I rely on eyeballing BF%, measurements, scale and what I see in the mirror as well as progress I am making in the gym - they do not tell the whole story individually, but combine to get a good gauge as to what is going on.

This is exactly why I happily continue to weigh and measure myself without any guilt or anxiety. I use all the data I am able to collect to get a multifaceted picture of my fitness, health, and and appearance. The numbers help me to accurately see what is in the mirror, which can be difficult sometimes. Especially when changes to the body start happening more slowly, when you are at a generally healthy fitness level, having that hard data can also be fantastic motivation. For me, it is the delta between the measurements that matters.

I will admit though, if I had a scan and found out, for instance, that my lean body mass was incredibly low for my weight, it probably would change my program. I love both running and lifting, but I would probably put more of my exercise hours into lifting than I currently do to combat that low muscle mass issue.

Like someone else said, more information is almost never a bad thing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nowadays, I rely on eyeballing BF%, measurements, scale and what I see in the mirror as well as progress I am making in the gym - they do not tell the whole story individually, but combine to get a good gauge as to what is going on.

This is exactly why I happily continue to weigh and measure myself without any guilt or anxiety. I use all the data I am able to collect to get a multifaceted picture of my fitness, health, and and appearance. The numbers help me to accurately see what is in the mirror, which can be difficult sometimes. Especially when changes to the body start happening more slowly, when you are at a generally healthy fitness level, having that hard data can also be fantastic motivation. For me, it is the delta between the measurements that matters.

I will admit though, if I had a scan and found out, for instance, that my lean body mass was incredibly low for my weight, it probably would change my program. I love both running and lifting, but I would probably put more of my exercise hours into lifting than I currently do to combat that low muscle mass issue.

Like someone else said, more information is almost never a bad thing.

I think the issue is, is that it can be sometimes. Either because it is inaccurate, or because it makes you feel worse about yourself but there is nothing you can be doing that you are not already doing.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Hmm. For me personally I figured I was around 27-25%, the visual estimate was 30%. While that's kind of a downer, it's not exactly stressing me out. It's not like I magically become more fat because my perception was off; far as I can tell I'm the same weight I was before the estimate as I was after. I'm still just as sexy. :wink: Also still 'fat'.

Really all it means is that I'll need to lose maybe 5-10 more pounds than I thought to get where I want to be. I'm not entirely sure 5 pounds is worth shifting my entire self image/getting upset over.

Addendum: I suppose it did encourage me to get back on track and stop eating 300 calories over my goal every day, but I'm hardpressed to consider that a negative.

Further Edit: (I have a lot of feelings, okay?) I will say that hearing that I'm probably around 30% now gave me some real perspective into my goals. I wanted to A. Get into a healthy BMI so my doctor will stop talking crap and B. Maybe get to 20% body fat. But now I see that I am where I am, and I'm not unhappy with how I look (pretty pleased, actually), so perhaps 20% isn't the goal for me after all. Perhaps while I do think women around that BF are stunning for me, personally, I'm stunning at a higher percentage.

Tl;DR: I certainly wasn't upset or crushed, but it has made me thoughtful. Thoughtful is good.