Atkins bars..yes or no?

Options
I know they are all very low in net carbs (2-4g) but are they actually ok to do? Are they ok if youre doing Atkins but not strict keto? Whats everyones take on the?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    They are a YMMV item. A number of people experience stalls using them. They also use malitol as a sweetener. Malitol is a bad sugar alcohol. (Vs erythritol which is a much better sugar alcohol). Malitol still has a high glycemic index, and users usually still have an insulin response. Users also often have gastric issues with malitol.

Avoid malitol. Bad. Very bad. Unless you are severely constipated. And even then, be cautious.

For a snack I'd rather have almonds, sunflower seeds, cooked bacon, dark chocolate - if you are working out, check out Quest bars. good source of protein there.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I second the Quest Bars!! A little pricey but totally worth the money. You can find them on Quest.com or Amazon.com.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    I second the Quest Bars!! A little pricey but totally worth the money. You can find them on Quest.com or Amazon.com.
    And GNC
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    When I was doing low carb they always kicked me out of ketosis--must have been all the sugar alcohols.

I tried to find quest bars, they are at this site:
    http://www.questproteinbar.com/
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I remember having a few Atkins peanut caramel clusters bars in one go.. omg I was in so much pain I couldn't even move.. and then had soo much gas..
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I eat them and haven't had any problems...yet I guess after reading the other posts. I also drink the shakes.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I eat them whenever I need to bump up my calorie intake. I have not had any problems eating them.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I looked at these in Sam's Club the other day, but didn't get them.

I've been using Nature Valley protein chewy bars (I also get them at Sam's), peanut dark chocolate flavor. They are 9g net carbs, 12g fat and 10g protein. Cheaper than the Atkins bars too.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    And GNC

and The Vitamin Shop
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I like Atkins bars, especially when i am on the go and need a quick meal and dont have time/access to real food. They are quick and easy and filling but I have huge issues with portion control on some things and they are one of those things. I cant keep them in the house.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I have used them, and they were a lifesaver when I went to the office without eating breakfast at home. I was lucky that they didn't stall my weight loss or give me gas. For pure weight loss, I liked them. As previously mentioned, they're a YMMV family of items.

However, I'm back into heavy lifting and wanted more protein than the bars could provide, so I bought a case of Premier Protein chocolate shakes (30 grams protein / 160 calories) and I LOVE those. Those are a little cheaper than Atkins anything (available at Costco for $23), too.

I have one of those along with my morning eggs. My wife told me just this morning that she loves the results!

premiershakesbox.jpg

Just my humble opinion, but I would sooner buy ash from the devil than purchase anything from GNC. They elevate overcharging to an art form.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat them. I have had no issues with them. That being said, it would probably be better if I didn't eat them, but there are a couple reasons that I do. One reason is that I don't ever feel like I want to eat a real sugar filled treat because I can have those and still stay on plan since they fit in my macros and some are pretty good and taste just like a candy bar or cookie. The other reason I eat them is because of the convenience factor. They are just easy to grab in the morning for a quick breakfast fix (I usually eat nuts or something else too). I have had issues with other sugar alcohols though. The Hershey Sugar Free Caramel Filled Chocolates were bad news for me (when I ate two in one day - I didn't have problems prior to that when I just ate one), but they have a much larger amount of sugar alcohols. I can't remember the exact amount of sugar alcohols they have and though the amount is listed on their packaging it's not listed on the nutritional info on their webpage but I'm thinking it's around 20 and they are much smaller in size than Atkins bars.
  • southpaw3833
    Options
    I eat them like they are going out of style. I don't necessarily follow Atkins really, but pretty strict keto most of the time. I cram one of these for the extra calories at the end of the day, or if I need something quick. I don't have them everyday, but I go through them like you all the time overall. I have never been knocked out of ketosis on them, and they taste great and are surprisingly pretty filling. My favorite is the caramel brownie one. Also I just discovered the endulge ones last night. I love reese's and haven't had them in a VERY long time, so I saw the Atkins peanut butter sup things last night and got them. OUTSTANDING! Not exactly the same as a reese's but it definitely scratched that itch. But like others have said it's all person to person with these things.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My husband's diabetes educator said to count all sugar alcohols as half a sugar because they do affect your blood sugar. (10 grams sugar alcohol = 5 grams carbs)
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    My husband's diabetes educator said to count all sugar alcohols as half a sugar because they do affect your blood sugar. (10 grams sugar alcohol = 5 grams carbs)

it's probably a good conservative approach, but sugar alcohols is a broad category, and there's a lot of differences between the individual sugar alcohols. Erythritol, with a glycemic index of zero and little to no gastric upset, is not the same as malitol with a GI of 36, and know side effects of bloating, diarrhea and abdominal pain.

Good article - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-alcohols/#axzz2h5HLv4aU
  • nordakota
    nordakota Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't do the Atkins bars, but do the Atkins shakes on occasion. (Stashed at my desk for times I forget lunch.) I like the Premiere Shake suggestion! I'll have to try that :smile:
  • mrsz917
    mrsz917 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    They are soooo gross!
  • xerothermic
    Options
    If I'm in a tight spot and neeeeeed a power bar for the go, I get the Pure Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter bars. I've found they have a really nice balance and they're actually tasty.

http://www.pureprotein.net/pages/products.aspx?sku=045887

Serving Size: 1 Bar (78g)
    Calories 310,
    Total Fat 10g
    Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g,

Total Carbohydrate 25g*
    Dietary Fiber 2g
    Sugars 3g,
    Sugar Alcohol 9g,

Protein 31g

*I don't eat them anymore because that's pretty much my carbs for the day, though
  • sillyli234
    sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would suggest only having an atkins bar in your bag or car for an emergency food since becoming dependent on a meal supplement takes away from the benefits of natural, whole foods.
  • malou1985
    malou1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    BEFORE I FOUND THE ATKIN'S MEALS I HAD A FREE SAMPLE OF THE BARS, IT WAS 3 BARS DIFFERENT "FLAVORS". I USED THEM AS A LIFE LINE WHEN I WAS STARVING BUT NOT SURE WHEN I'D HAVE TIME TO ACTUALLY COOK OR MAKE MYSELF SOMETHING TO EAT