Intros

Options

Replies

• afreelandgti
    Options
    Hi I'm Antonio, 39 years old living in Houston, TX. I've played around with kettlebells for about a year, but got really serious when I cancelled my gym membership and started working out at home about 3 months ago. My bells, my bodyweight and my stationary bike are all I need. I LOVE my bells so much. On my Sunday off day I stare at them and daydream...hoping Monday comes sooner than later. *sigh*
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Jessica and stumbled upon this group after reading a comment Casey posted. I have been training with kettlbells for about 6 months. I learned technique from my trainer/powerlifting coach, who is Russian...go figure. I love KBs and they've really helped me with my endurance and overall strength, especially core and grip strength. Plus, they're fun and you look cool doing it. Glad to see some folks here who appreciate them, rather than viewing them as a fad. :drinker:
  • fredrjohns
    Options
    hello my name is Fred have been training with KB for about 5 years with some down times
    I loved the kettle bell gym i was attending but just got expensive so I built up my bells at
    home and now working out with mbodypro via internet love it ... i was so excited to see
    kbell group I could join .. enjoy and be healthy
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Just started. Got one on clearance (yup, clearance). I got the one that I didn't grunt when I picked it up or could pick and couldn't pick up with my pinky. So I have a 10 pounder for starters. I think some exercises I could use one size up or down for, but the 10 seems to have been a good middle ground choice for purchasing one.

I have played with it one day and did an actual routine for the first time today. I LOVED IT. I have one problem - knee pain. It's improved as my weight is going down, but the squatty stuff is too hard right now. I loved the around the world - felt that in my core more than I expected. Any recommendations for exercises/adaptions to avoid knee use (at least for now) are appreciated.

I'm a true beginner, but I think I'm in love!
  • grace4u2receive
    grace4u2receive Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group and kettlebells. My husband has been trying to get me to workout with Kb for years and I've finally done it this year. I only use it with videos, like Paul Katami, Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper.

I am excited to join this group and meet others who already enjoy working out with KBs!
  • grace4u2receive
    grace4u2receive Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hello I just posted an introduction to the group and then saw your post. I also got on on clearance but it is a 8 lb. and after workingout with need to see if I can buy a 10 lb. to make it more challenging. I don't know about your knee pain. I haven't got them with kettlebells. I did have knee pain when I was workingout and didn't have the right stance in lunges. I stopped workingout for a couple weeks until it got better.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hello I just posted an introduction to the group and then saw your post. I also got on on clearance but it is a 8 lb. and after workingout with need to see if I can buy a 10 lb. to make it more challenging. I don't know about your knee pain. I haven't got them with kettlebells. I did have knee pain when I was workingout and didn't have the right stance in lunges. I stopped workingout for a couple weeks until it got better.

Knee has trouble with lunges - even with strictly supervised good form (in the past). Hoping as weight goes down the pain improves.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Joe and I've been doing KBs for about 3 years now, but very seriously for the last year. I go to an RKC club 3 times a week (alternating days with my cardio workouts) and absolutely love working out with those hunks of iron. I'm closing in on losing 60 pounds since August of 2012, and the last time I had my body comp measured (via BodPod) I managed to gain a bunch of lean mass while losing fat. I credit the KB workouts for that.

I feel stronger, have better balance, and have kept losing some waist size (even though my weight loss has slowed to a crawl), and again, I think that's largely due to these workouts. They're interesting and plenty challenging; there's nothing like having a bunch of iron overhead while doing a getup to keep you focused!

Although I've been in MFP for over a year, I just found this group. Lots of interesting stuff here to read. I hope I can contribute some from time to time as well.
  • littleknownblogger
    Options
    Seventeen year military (eight in the Marine Corps, the rest in the Army National Guard; all as Military Police) and full-time correctional officer. Once (and hopefully again) concealed-carry and martial arts instructor.

I have a repeating and progressive thirteen-week workout program which combines powerlifting, kettlebells, progressive calisthenics and interval training (technically, it also includes military-style "calisthenics" and endurance running... but not because I think they are productive. Only because that's how my bosses determine fitness.)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I am still swinging though, but can't do much other than swings at home due to ceiling height/floor costs.

You can do a lot more at home than just swings...See if you can find Sarah Lurie's "Kettlebell Iron Core Warrior" dvd set on amazon - It is one into dvd and three others - I do it in the basement at home - and it is great full-body workouts with enough variety to keep me interested (and I get bored easily)
    Another one that can be done in a small space is Angie Miller's Kettlebell bootcamp - it's a lot more fun than doing just swings....
    I'm up to a 25lbs bell, and contemplating getting a heavier one soon....
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hey guys my name is Aaron I'm 29, I own a 20lb kettlebell and a 35lber. I use to use my 20lber a lot but haven't so much since getting the 35, which I'm looking to change and decided to join this group.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am still swinging though, but can't do much other than swings at home due to ceiling height/floor costs.

You can do a lot more at home than just swings...See if you can find Sarah Lurie's "Kettlebell Iron Core Warrior" dvd set on amazon - It is one into dvd and three others - I do it in the basement at home - and it is great full-body workouts with enough variety to keep me interested (and I get bored easily)
    Another one that can be done in a small space is Angie Miller's Kettlebell bootcamp - it's a lot more fun than doing just swings....
    I'm up to a 25lbs bell, and contemplating getting a heavier one soon....

Heh, i read that & thought "that sounds like something i'd say about ceiling/floor issues". Since i wrote that our kettlebell club started going full year around so i get lots of cleans, jerks, snatches, Turkish getups, etc in each week. My home workouts mostly consists now of barbells (with a powerrack with a lower height that fits in the cellar) rather than kettlebells. But thanks for the suggestions!
  • disneyfan707
    disneyfan707 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Ash and I joined this group back in March but was still not utilizing MFP that often and was fairly shy about making introductions at the time. I first learned about kettlebells about 5 years ago, but didn't have an opportunity to explore them more until the past year or so. I've had 2 times where I stuck with them for about 2 weeks, and one 5 week round then fallen off due to life/injury and not being ready to make big changes. The last one where I made it 5 weeks was devastating for me because I had seen HUGE gains in strength and easier weight loss. The toning from it was amazing, right up until the moment I wore new training shoes and my preexisting knee condition destroyed my life for about 6 weeks.
    All that being said, I've been dying to get back to a place where I could give my beloved KBs another whirl and get back to the raw feeling of satisfaction from them. I picked up a reputable set and some dvds and books to get a better introduction, but I won't lie- I'm still VERY much a beginner, even after my previous 5 week stint. I'm still working out the basics, but I figured coming out and introducing myself to other enthusiasts might be a great way to maintain motivation this time. I'm looking for new friends, new workouts, techniques, etc.
    :smile:
  • debrakhan
    debrakhan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 53 and lost 106lbs 2yrs ago, but the only exercise I was doing was aerobic, so as you can imagine, although I lost the weight, I am not toned at all, and am very unhappy with my appearance, just a smaller version of my fat self. After reading loads of messages and trolling through the internet, I have now learnt that I should have been doing strength training as well as aerobics. So hence the KB which I have now started, 2 weeks now trying for 3 times a week, I am hoping for some great results. I hope it is not too late for me though.
  • KHattley
    KHattley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi

My name's Katie and I have an addiction.....kettlebells!!! I have been doing two classes a week now for about 3 years and absolutely love it. I have never been able to stick to any sort of exercise and certainly never enjoyed it until now. The results speak for themselves.

Kettlebells are still relatively new in the UK and I often have to explain to people what they are but gradually they're becoming more and more popular. I've even got my other half going to classes now too!!
  • bigobelly
    bigobelly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, My Name is Ray and I started doing kettle bell routines just recently and I find them to be really challenging. The kettle bells target your core and force you to use you entire body as a whole not just isolating one particular muscle group.
    I have been doing the kettle bells last in my workouts, after a 3 mile cardio with the elliptical and a heavy weight routine, I have been finding it exhausting and typically can only do around 4-5 sets of a combination of swings and presses, i am struggling a bit with the correct hip thrust swings. I switch between the 35lb and the 45lb kettle. I highly recommend incorporating kettle bells in your workout routine.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi

Found the group today - I have been working with bells for several years now - a few weeks ago I was recruited onto a competition team and have my first event coming up

I love kettlebells for strength and conditioning
  • cynthia_h
    cynthia_h Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, new-ish to KB. Been with MFP for over a year now. Just bought a fitbit flex and started to exercise. I dabbled with KB last year and liked it. I'm trying to be serious about exercising now as I'm, frankly, middle aged now. I need to be fit to avoid all the unpleasant issues my family has, like high blood pressure, high blood sugar and general inflammation from being overweight. I am looking for good routines that are all around workouts.
  • underpsi01
    underpsi01 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to kettlebell . Just learning about form and weights that work for me. I'm really green so I want to hang out and watch. My desire is to be toned all over. Looking forward to learning about kettlebell workouts, form,best videos so on and so forth. ;):smile:
  • mattsams1
    mattsams1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to kettlebells in 2007/2008 by my brother, who had asked for a pair of 12kg bells as a gift, after using them while he was deployed in Afghanistan. After receiving multiple installments of the Dragon Door catalog, while using a more conventional weight lifting program, I decided to give kettlebells a try. I started with a 16kg bell, and Enter the Kettlbell. I used the Program Minimum and ROP to progress until I completed the ROP with the 32kg bell. I attended RKC cert in 2011, but unfortunately my conditioning was not up to par and did not pass the cert. I have used Kettlebell Burn and Return of the Kettlebell some success, but after taking some time off due to family medical issues, I have started back with the revamped program minimum:

I've worked through the 24kg and can hit 100 one hand swings in 5 minutes using 15 seconds on/ 15 seconds off. 5 get-ups / side w/ 24kg is doable, but i should probably spend some more time before soley using the 32kg bell. If I push it, I can get the 100 1 hand swings w/ 32 in under 10 minutes, depending on how I feel. Still seeking the 1/2 bodyweight press and 100 24 kg snatches in 5 minutes.