False Hypos

Options
JADEPH0EN1X
JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
Since August I have been watching my cals & carb intake with mfp , I have lost 10 kg and halved my bg ( 14 to 7 ) due to this reduction I have started having false hypos - which I've never heard of before ! I wpould like some advice on what do do if they happen . I really do feel that I need to sit down before I fall down & get something to eat - although I've just read that I shouldnt do this as it can send the sugars high again ! Confused & in need of help !

Replies

• jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience when I first went on insulin and got my BG under tight control. Your body became accustomed to high blood sugar so that when you reduce it to a normal range you start to feel symptoms hypoglycemia. This should go away as you maintain normal BG levels. It did for me and I no longer fell hypo unless my sugar goes under 65 mg/dl (I don't know what that corresponds to on your scale) which is as it should be
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    Bump to hear responses. My anecdotal story probably doesn't help.

When I was running higher BG, I used to feel weak and dizzy when I tested around 4.8 which should be normal. I would have some fruit or a couple of wine gums which normalized how I felt.

Since losing some weight which has reduced my BG to around 5.4 on average I no longer feel fake hypos even if I test at 4.3.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    It does go away as your body gets used to lower blood glucose. There's no need to treat it, but if you are truly feeling awful, you can treat it. the key to treating a hypo - real or false - is to eat only enough to bring glucose levels up slightly. Over-treating either sets you up for an ugly roller coaster ride with reactive hypos...not fun. A true hypo needs to be treating with sugar - a few hard candies, a couple of glucose tabs, 4 oz of soda or juice. A false hypo is better treated with a macro mix - a peanut butter cracker or two, a cheese stick, etc.. You feel like you're doing something, but what you're eating won't send blood glucose (which doesn't truly need to be higher) soaring.
  • booklvr81
    booklvr81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Like KDI said... and my doctor said when I asked her about mine, it goes away as your body gets used to lower blood sugar and there is no need to treat it.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone . I am glad to say they seem to have settled . I normally got them if I exercised ( even walking ) in the morning after breakfast & I know id had enough calories so shouldn't need food . I have started to take some nuts or gluten free oatcakes with me so I have something at hand but won't increase them too much .