Actor Tom Hanks has Type 2 Diabetes

Options
Hi. I just wanted share this with you. I find it interesting, and I feel that Tom Hanks has a good outlook on the rest of his life. Hope he can get it under control and keep it that way.

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/tom-hanks-reveals-type-2-diabetes-153620579.html

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    "My doctor said, 'If you can weigh what you weighed in high school, you'll essentially be healthy and not have Type 2 diabetes," Hanks explained

I do agree about his outlook but reading things like the above quote really irritates me.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    "My doctor said, 'If you can weigh what you weighed in high school, you'll essentially be healthy and not have Type 2 diabetes," Hanks explained

I do agree about his outlook but reading things like the above quote really irritates me.

I hate to hear that anyone is has this diagnoses. Its a horrible disease. But I guess that's why it is a disease.
    I feel the same way.
    Why does it irritate you? For me is how would a doctor who you didn't not know as a teenager say such things. Not everyone was a healthy weight or even fully grown in HS
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I certainly agree with you in that I hate seeing new members of the club no one wants to join! The article states that he had higher than normal numbers for years and that drives home the point that pre-diabetes is like being a little bit pregnant. I think Alec Baldwin did a bit better job of explaining pre-diabetes and what changes he'll have to make (for the rest of his life) in his interview with David Letterman. Not really faulting Hanks though - it's hard to wrap your head around that diagnosis immediately.

My irritation lies in a DOCTOR claiming that Hanks would no longer have diabetes if he lost weight. Much as I'd like it to be true, it isn't. Control might be easier as weight loss often decreases insulin resistance, but it's not the only factor. Tom Hanks is slightly overweight and it would have been nice to focus on the root causes of diabetes rather than blaming it on 15 pounds.

Diabetes just doesn't go away. It's controlled, not cured. These types of statements promote the stereotype that Type 2 diabetics are just fat and lazy. It's more complicated than that and it would be nice if that got more attention.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Here's the interview, it was actually part of a joke, I won't tell you the punchline, cause it was actually all in the delivery :laugh: skip to 0.35 sec to hear the joke. It was pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBhZoTN2bvM

However, I absolutely DO agree that I was a bit disappointed to hear the mis-information :ohwell:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Tom Hanks is slightly overweight and it would have been nice to focus on the root causes of diabetes rather than blaming it on 15 pounds.
    When I read the post title my first thought was that Tom Hanks isn't obese. I think the fact that he's not morbidly obese sends a message that under the right conditions anyone can end up with Type 2. Regarding the doctors comment about being "cured", yeah that was an unfortunate choice of words.

The link hookilau provided shows the real the dialogue. Tom even says in the interview, "it is controllable".