Ideas on WHEN to workout

Options
I am debating if I should workout in the morning or in the evening. I used to love working out in the morning but that was when I had the time and could eat some protein before hand. Now I would have to get up at 4:30am in order to workout, shower, get ready for work, get son ready for school, and then leave for work no later than 7am - all on an empty stomach. I struggle trying to wake up that early now.

The problem with doing it after work is I don't get home from work until 6pm, need to make dinner, help with homework, bedtime routine and wouldn't be able to start until after 8pm.

I don't want to make excuses, instead I want to find a solution that will work for me and my family. Does anyone else have this issue or had this issue? If so, how did you make it work for you?

Replies

• nordakota
    nordakota Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 a.m. It is a struggle some mornings, but unless I do it first thing, I never have the time or energy after work. I lay all our clothes and pack lunches for the kids and myself the night prior. I also feel that working out first thing gives me a much better attitude/energy boost for the day. If I worked out at night, it would have to be right after the kiddos are in bed, and then with that much stimulation so late, I can't seem to get to sleep. I also keep Atkins shakes at my desk for emergency breakfasts. If I hit the treadmill right away at 5 a.m., I still have time to shower quick before I wake the kids. :happy:
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Morning sounds like it might work out best. But, why don't you eat half a banana before working out or peanut butter and toast? You will be making your son breakfats anyway, you can make yourself something small. Also, if you make hardboiled eggs on the weekend you can have 1 or 2 before or after the workout. I personally like working out an empty stomach, but all of the suggested options are super quick and not too big/filling for you to work out right after eating them.you could also do a protein shake right after and then eat breakfast when you get to work.
  • EllieKish
    Options
    I am going to aim for a morning workout tomorrow! Clothes picked out for work, sons clothes picked out, backpack packed, and have everything ready to go. Wish me luck!!!! Thank you both so much for the ideas, it really is appreciated!
  • Tmsmith007
    Options
    It really sounds like after work, is going to leave you feeling guilty and sheepish. I get up pretty early too, 3:30 to get hubbie off and sometimes into a workout contingent on gym schedule, and he laughs all the time because it is just TOO early people. So there have been days when a fork did not make it too work or I forget our vitamins! Argh, I am officially sleep walking, I really don't know what people expect.
    When it is all said and done mornings are better, it just sets the rest of the day right.
  • astange83
    astange83 Posts: 105
    Options
    I like getting it over with in the morning, I don't have to get up as early as you, but by the time I get home from work I'm sluggish and dreading the basement. For me to do it in the evening would mean not eating til after 8 pm and I just don't like to eat anything heavy that late :-\

I've found if I try to eat before I work out I feel sick so I rather get up early and feel accomplished before work, than to end up working late and feeling like I need to skip my workout :(
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am going for the mornings. Evenings are getting way too busy at the gym. Up at 5.00, banana and water, gym for 5.30, 45 mins weights 15 mins cardio, home by 7.00, big brekkie, shower, make lunches, drop son at 8 and off to work. its a rush but it works and I get to work feeling wide awake and awesome :-)