Is this insulting?

Options

Replies

• ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say insulting, I'd just say ignorant. Although, the myfitnesspal boards have a myriad of know-it-alls who enjoy bashing others, so I wouldn't get my feelings hurt if I were you.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree, I used the wrong word saying insulting. Ignorant is more like it!
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think it is too simplistic to say it is all about calorie deficit....I would also look at the types of calories consumed. I know that my body functions better when I eat 100 calories of a fruit or vegetable versus 100 calories of candy. I tend not to respond to posts like that...it goes no where.
  • maracuya23
    Options
    I think the body is a much more biochemically complex system than we now know. Until good science is done to the point we have a complete understanding of how every hormone, nutrient, etc interacts with all others, I think it's fair to say that each individual will be slightly different from the next. I too ignore posts like that, since they're usually filled with those who have no hormonal fluctuations, and think it's therefore reasonable to dismiss anyone who does have non-average hormonal fluctuations.

That said, I do believe that weight loss is just calorie deficit. Establishing the right kind of deficit when one has thyroid issues is definitely a more intricate challenge than just "eat less." Making sure medicine is at the right dose, that you're getting all the right nutrients (so that medicine works as optimally as possible), not creating too big of a deficit (since that can further suppress thyroid function), finding the right balance of macros, making sure to rule out sensitivities that often go along with thyroid issues (soy, gluten, etc.). It's not simple to figure out the balance, and then rebalance again with significant changes in weight along the way.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ignorant, insulting, simplistic , yah all of the above. Not impossible. It just takes longer. I know my diet hasn't been stellar. But, I do believe it's taken longer than average to get here. And no, I'm not throwing in the towel:flowerforyou: ever.
  • mom2BandD
    mom2BandD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree its not insulting and this person is uneducated about thyroid conditions or else they would not say such things. And yes weightloss and caloric deficit do help BUT that is not it as you all know.