New to Paleo

Options
tammietifanie
tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
Hi i'm looking into Paleo, I have gluten intolerance and looking for a way to lose way, feel good and get gluten out of my body for good... Looking for people who are also eating gluten free and could share some recipes, tips and info on Paleo

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've found a lot of encouragement and good info here in this group. Welcome!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've found a lot of encouragement and good info here in this group. Welcome!

Yep. Also, don't forget to check out the stickies at the top of this forum. They have a lot of good information in them, and the Recommended Reading one has a number of cookbooks and sites with recipes in them.
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have several Paleo cook books

Well Fed-Meliss Joulwan (coming out with Well Fed 2)
    Everyday Paleo-Sara Fragoso
    Quick & Easy Paleo comfort foods
    Primal Blue Print
    Robb Wolfs Paleo Solution

I used to visit Marks Daily apple website, I learned a lot, but I got tired of the "I'm right, every one else is wrong" attitude from some on there. I don't find those types of posts helpful, but if you like drama its the place to be, lol. There are some very helpful people on there, sadly they don't post much anymore so I quit visiting.
    Robb Wolfs forum is not very busy
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you are up for a challenge, Whole30 is a great one! It's a very strict Paleo "diet" for 30 days that eliminates pretty much everything except for whole foods and good meats and fats. I didn't know a lot about Paleo before starting the challenge in April and I loved it! It really helped me understand how food affects the body and was a great intro into the Paleo world without being all science-y. Check out www.whole9.com. Their forums are great and lots of supportive people.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I have several Paleo cook books

Well Fed-Meliss Joulwan (coming out with Well Fed 2)
    Everyday Paleo-Sara Fragoso
    Quick & Easy Paleo comfort foods
    Primal Blue Print
    Robb Wolfs Paleo Solution

I used to visit Marks Daily apple website, I learned a lot, but I got tired of the "I'm right, every one else is wrong" attitude from some on there. I don't find those types of posts helpful, but if you like drama its the place to be, lol. There are some very helpful people on there, sadly they don't post much anymore so I quit visiting.
    Robb Wolfs forum is not very busy

Second Quick & Easy Paleo Comfort Foods. Awesome cookbook.

And re mda.com - that's any site with comment capability. Hell, look at the main forums. Just ignore the comments and enjoy the articles. :)
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    Thank you ! I will check into the recipes
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    What do your meals normally looks like??? I'm having a little trouble with what I should eat for Breakfast, lunch and dinner.. I'm a mom of 3 boys and i'm the only one in my family that needs to stay away from Gluten so I'm doing this while my family still eats Carbs :( I'm trying to make meals that my whole family will eat that way I don't have to cook 2 different meals at dinner time
  • tammietifanie
    Options
    I've heard of whole30, I will check into this !! Thank you
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    What do your meals normally looks like??? I'm having a little trouble with what I should eat for Breakfast, lunch and dinner.. I'm a mom of 3 boys and i'm the only one in my family that needs to stay away from Gluten so I'm doing this while my family still eats Carbs :( I'm trying to make meals that my whole family will eat that way I don't have to cook 2 different meals at dinner time

Carbs =/= gluten (or grains, for that matter). They can be paleo and still have carbs.

I generally have a Primal Egg Coffee for breakfast ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee ), or sometimes bacon and scrambled eggs (we've been toying with spices in the eggs, so it's included salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper and other things)

Lunch is leftovers. A good, insulated lunch box and ice pack are your friends.

Dinner is generally a meat and vegetable (we're simple people). We generally do something with hamburger, steak, pork chops, or chicken breast (still trying to find other stuff, since that's starting to get old, though, but it's a good start). The hamburger gets more variety and will end up hamburgers or meatloaf, meatloaf muffins, or zucchini noodle lasagna. Occasionally we'll break out the bulk sausage for use in sauce over spaghetti squash. Our veggies generally consist of carrots, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, asparagus (if we can get our hands on it), or sometimes green beans, but we've started playing around with the stuff we get from our co-op as it goes in and out of season.
  • cashartle
    cashartle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs. I will cook an egg bake (different varieties with sausage, ground beef and a variety of vegetables) so I have it for the week. Heats up easy in the microwave and can be used for any meal. I may cook a bunch of meat on the grill, then wrap and chill for the week. I also roast several large pans of a variety of vegetables. I use them on salads, heat them for dinner or put them in omelets. Breakfast is any left over fatty meat or a couple of strips of bacon. Lunch is generally salad with hard boiled egg or left over meat (unless I am eating super high fat). I also boil at least a dozen eggs each Sunday. A little planning and prep on Sunday sets you up for a week's worth of meals. Avocados make a great lunch also.