Introduction

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone....

My name is Rebecca, and from my photo you would think I was a runner most of my life being military. Nope. :laugh:
    I just got into running in January, I did C25K and completed my first 5K ever on March 23, with a time of 35:40. I am super proud of that considering I used to hate running. Running, suprisingly, is actually in my blood. My uncle (who is my father's twin) was a marathon runner, and so naturally my cousins are runners also and have taken those genes to a new level and are now ultra runners. Yes I think they are nuts, but after 3 months of running and having grown to love it I understand their obsession. It is all I think about now too...when can I get in that next run, or I find myself strategically planning my base mileage increase as if it were a matter of life and death.

My next goal is to increase my base to about 30 miles a week, mainly to work on speed. I am still a very slow runner at this point, only topping 5 - 5.5 at the most. I want to get my pace up to a 9:30 or 10 min mile (at least lol).
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

i'm Fábio,25, from Brazil.. I used to run a lot, only for obligation! I hated that! Last year i started to run just for fun listening some music, in my pace... so i became a runner indeed! Start to do some serious training to run 10k races in April 2012. I did some races, but i definetly find my race this year. It's the 5k race, i ran one with a friend and liked very much, did in 24minutes , so i want to improve and try to do the same race in 22 minutes this year. Isn't a easy work but i'm doing all than i can for that!
  • roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ok runners group, time to pick up the pace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :)

My name is Melissa and I have recently signed up to run a 1/2 Marathon in September. I have been casually running 5km distances for a little while now, but this will be my first event. I'm extremely excited for it, but also very nervous!!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    This group is active as I notice that this one rarely gets used, main reason I created my own.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13157-from-plodders-to-sprinters
  • tiawna
    tiawna Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am a 38 year old mother of 4 and just started running in March 2013. I started off doing the Couch to 5K program and after completing that I did my first 5k race, The Color Run in San Jose this past Saturday! I loved it! I ran the whole thing and completed it in 32 minutes. I was soooo proud of myself. Up until a few months ago I was literally one of those "I wish I exercised" dreamers. Dreaming but never doing. Now I love running and the sense of accomplishment from every run completed. I signed up for my 2nd 5k race for June 8th and would like to do a few more of these before moving up to try a 10k... Slowly but surely I want to keep pushing myself!
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jessica, I am 28 years old and am learning to love running. I started C25K this summer and from there have moved to half-marathon training. Although I am not a fast runner I am finding such freedom in the movement I have no compared to the beginning of the summer.
  • mustlovekale
    Options
    Hi all! I'm a 22-year old grad student and I'm a runner. I've been running for about 3 years now. I have two half marathons and a marathon this year. I'm super excited for the Marine Corps Marathon (my first marathon)! Please feel free to add me so we can cheer each other on. :)
  • Katja19
    Options
    Hi, I'm Katja and just found myfitnesspal. I've been a runner for the past few years and have done several 5K's but hurt my ankle while training for a 10K so I haven't run since September. I think I'm fully healed and have to get on track again. I signed up for the New Year's Day Commitment Run (free registration for Cleveland...bonus!)

I'm a mom of 3 teenaged boys and my hubby and I like to set an example to them of taking care of ourselves. Looking forward to meeting new people here :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Stan and about to turn 42. I currently reside near Huntsville, AL. I basically run dvery morning about 3 miles on the treadmill and Saturdays I do a long run of 6 miles outdoors on a trail. I use runtastic. I hope to do my first 5K this spring. I been an athlete for most my younger life and been on n off with weight training since I graduated college. I recently found a passion for running so I am kinda new with this running tho. Trying to get below a 9 minute mile pace.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm SJB, almost 40 and new to running but eager to progress. Always keen to find people to share tips and encouragement with - especially now it's getting cold and the tempation to stay on the couch is getting higher..

I have a small number of races behind me (3 half mara's and 1 10mile cross country) with a couple more lined up.
  • carewithay
    carewithay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My name is Carey and I live in Aberdeen, Scotland. I'm 26 years old.

I have always been quite active but only started running on a regular basis around 18 months ago, first on the treadmill at my gym and then I moved outdoors.

To begin with I had no intention of doing any racing and actually didn't really enjoy running at first. I used to run short distances with my husband who was a lot faster than me and I could always tell he didn't particularly like waiting around on me :) It always felt like a struggle. I now run by myself which I prefer, especially since I can blast some music and just switch off.

In May 2012 I completed my first 10k which was part of a charity run with my work. I had a blast and loved the feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

After my first 10k I continued to run but have did not race again until March this year when I completed my first half marathon. Although I was delighted with my time (1:52:53)I found the HM experience quite difficult but have learnt some valuable lessons regarding fueling, hydration etc and already cannot wait to do another so I can be more prepared and improve on my time.

I have been on MFP for a while now but haven't really used the community features, I'm more interested in discussing running than anything else hence why I joined this group. Feel free to add me! :) I am also happy to discuss diet and other areas of fitness too.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Shana, I am 58 and I live in So. California. I had never been a runner until about 2 1/2 years ago when I was encouraged by my trainer to up my cardio a bit when I was walking. I had always, always hated running, even when I was a little kid but amazingly I discovered that I love it and it works wonders when I am stressed at work. I work from home so I can head out whenever I have a break in my meetings. I often use conference calls as an opportunity to stretch pre or post run. :happy:
    I run 5-6 days a week, typically 4-5 miles a day with a longer 8-10 mile run on the weekend. I still workout with my trainer twice a week for strength training, toning and conditioning.

Oh and I have a 21mo Vizsla puppy who makes sure I get out the door to run with him pretty much every day - he is the best training partner ever! We even ran a 5k together :laugh:

I have run 3 half marathons and a few 5 and 10ks and my times have really been improving. My last half I ran in 2:16:30, my 10k time is 59:02, and 5k time is 29:27. I will be running a 15k this weekend in San Diego that has me worried as it is pretty hilly - I am not expecting a fast run...

I am looking forward to reading about everyone's training plans and running experiences!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm Eric and just recently got addicted to running. I'm up to 4.4miles a day now next week i will be upping it to 5.2miles. i want to run the San Diego rock and roll half marathon next year so I'm training for that. in the mean time I'm running one 5K a month my 4th will be this Sunday at Sea World San Diego.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I'm Eric and just recently got addicted to running. I'm up to 4.4miles a day now next week i will be upping it to 5.2miles. i want to run the San Diego rock and roll half marathon next year so I'm training for that. in the mean time I'm running one 5K a month my 4th will be this Sunday at Sea World San Diego.

Hi Eric - Check out the San Diego Safari Park Half Marathon and 10K the first weekend in May. You could definitely do the 10K and it is a lot of fun!
  • 1of4LittleSis
    Options
    Hell o everyone.
    I'm Kim, 3 weeks ago I joined a Beginner Running group with a bunch of ladies of all ages, shapes and sizes.. At 4&1/2 stn. overweight and the wrong side of 50 (only justish!) I thought I might have gone mad BUT I'm loving it.... Even if my calves aren't, they keep cramping up. I've been told to take magnesium and potassium supplements to help. I'm also hoping the more I do the better they will get.
    And they have to as I've agreed to do a 10K at the beginning of December!! It's good to set yourself a goal... Or so I'm told!!
    Any advise from you more experienced runners would be appreciated.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Jen!
    I started running about 2 1/2 years ago.... hurt my knee after a year and was out for a few months. I run at least 3 times a week. I used to run more often but I have started doing triathlons so my training varies a little more.

I worked myself up to a half marathon in February (Daytona Half) and experienced a ton of knee pain in that race. I took a month or so off from running so I (again) had to build back up. Now its summertime in Florida so my long runs are only 5 miles or so and my short runs are 3.5 miles. The only time I can run outside here are early in the morning or at night. Once this heat subsides, I am going to start distance training again, along with my triathlon training.

I love to run!
  • shanaber
    Options
    Hell o everyone.
    I'm Kim, 3 weeks ago I joined a Beginner Running group with a bunch of ladies of all ages, shapes and sizes.. At 4&1/2 stn. overweight and the wrong side of 50 (only justish!) I thought I might have gone mad BUT I'm loving it.... Even if my calves aren't, they keep cramping up. I've been told to take magnesium and potassium supplements to help. I'm also hoping the more I do the better they will get.
    And they have to as I've agreed to do a 10K at the beginning of December!! It's good to set yourself a goal... Or so I'm told!!
    Any advise from you more experienced runners would be appreciated.

I would make sure you are getting enough water especially if you sweat a lot while running or if it is really hot outside. Make sure you are drinking lots of water generally to keep your body hydrated and then water and a bit of protein after you run. I stretch before and after I run (or use a foam roller) and if my muscles are tight I may even stop and stretch in the middle. I also think being consistent with your routine helps - helps your muscles adjust and helps to make it easier to get out there every time at least at the beginning until it is a habit that you just can't stop :laugh:
  • mmferrer
    mmferrer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm Michelle. I've been running off and on since I was around 13 y/o. It wasn't until 2012 that I decided to up the distance and train for my first marathon (Oklahoma City, 2012 4:30). I have since run the Champagn/Urbana Marathon (4:06) and the Kansas City Waddell Reed 1/2 (not sure on the time). I've also done a handful of obstacle races. I like to continue to challenge myself to try new things, and I fell in love with the running community while training for my first marathon. I'm hoping to gain advise and motivation from others in this group.
  • Carried4
    Carried4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just joined this group for motivation and hope to encourage somebody else out there.

Have been running for the past three years more faithfully than years past. Currently training for a 10k in November.

Struggles I face is endurance for more than 3 miles, knee pain, flat feet and picking out running shoes that work for me.

I love to lift weights, but running has been a gradual love relationship! :laugh:

Recent month started running more, but the scales weren't budging. Adding the myfitnesspal into the mix is when I started seeing results within three weeks.

Keep going!!!!!