It Can Be Done!

Options
:happy: Six months ago (4 April 2013) I was diagnosed with T-2.....My A1C was (gulp) 12.9....Today, 2 days shy of exactly six months later my A1C is (drum roll please) 5.3!!!! I may be able to STOP my meds (I'm taking Kombiglyze XR 5/1000). I've lost 50 lbs and the only thing I'm not happy with is that I still have the neuropathy in my feet. But other than that I'm pretty doggone proud of myself! Now I wonder what I'm going to do now.....Do I still keep testing twice a day? Do I keep eating as if I'm T-2? What do I do if my sugars go up without the meds? So happy, but questions, questions, questons...

Replies

• Snowstorm18
    Snowstorm18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What did you eat? I am finding it hard to find things that I can eat and stay within 30-45 carbs a meal... ugh...
    you have given me hope but I need some help....
  • Snowstorm18
    Snowstorm18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are giving me hope!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Wow...I just found this post! You've really turned things around for yourself so a big congratulations. I'd love to have some details as well!
  • brendacshiver
    brendacshiver Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I replied to the private message you sent...Add me as a friend, and you can then see my food diary to know what I eat!!!
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Any suggestions for the rest of us?

My hubby's A1C went down to 5.7 and he was like- hey, I am not diabetic anymore.... and I was like, remember, it is down in part because of the medications you take. I would anticipate some rise in the levels without the meds- so take it slowly and with your doctor's advice.

Keep up the great work you are doing!!!!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Nice work! You may see the neuropathy symptoms decrease as you spend more time in the 5% Club.
    As far as what you do now...you keep on keepin' on. You have a chronic condition that needs to be managed (depressingly) for the rest of your life.

Yes, keep testing. If you don't test, how will you know if things are changing (for better or worse)?

Yes, keep eating as if you are Type 2...because you still are.

If you attempt to decrease meds and see a rise in blood sugar, evaluate your diet first. Can you reduce carbs further? Then ...Can you add in exercise/more exercise/a different exercise? And then finally...Can you move to another med? The magic formula for control is some combination of diet+exercise+meds. These questions can't be answered unless you continue to test and recognize that diabetes is controlled, not cured.

You've put the tiger in a cage and now you need to keep it there. :-)
  • mkmitch3
    mkmitch3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nice work! You may see the neuropathy symptoms decrease as you spend more time in the 5% Club.
    As far as what you do now...you keep on keepin' on. You have a chronic condition that needs to be managed (depressingly) for the rest of your life.

Yes, keep testing. If you don't test, how will you know if things are changing (for better or worse)?

If you attempt to decrease meds and see a rise in blood sugar, evaluate your diet first. Can you reduce carbs further? Then ...Can you add in exercise/more exercise/a different exercise? And then finally...Can you move to another med? The magic formula for control is some combination of diet+exercise+meds. These questions can't be answered unless you continue to test and recognize that diabetes is controlled, not cured.

THIS!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Very very good advice :drinker:
  • GoldwingGrandma
    GoldwingGrandma Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good job! I just came across your post. What an inspiration!
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It can be done by diet & exercise alone. I've been doing it for 2 years now.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Congratulations! What are the most important things you do every day that help you continue to manage blood sugar with lifestyle choices? I'm sure we can all learn from you. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • computercarl
    computercarl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, too bad that if she drank http://glucerna.com/diabetes-shakes that she wouldnt be in the 5% club, and wouldnt be close to getting off her drugs. 20g of carbs is a lot.

I just think that pushing carby "shakes" to a diabetic isn't the best available option. Something like some cheese or some almonds would be just as good for calories, protein, and overall blood sugar stability.

*I edited this to state that I don't want to come off as a jerk, this is jut my opinion. Want better numbers? Stop eating/drinking carbs.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Congrats welcome to the club. I was only on medication for the first 6 months after my Type 2 diagnoses (July 2012) and now control it through diet and exercise and haven't looked back. My A1C for the last 4 checkup have been 5.1.

Good luck on your journey and to be honest keep doing what is working for you. Everyone is very different:flowerforyou: .
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It can be done by diet & exercise alone. I've been doing it for 2 years now.

I did two key things. First I eliminate all prefab foods. So now I make everything from scratch. The second thing was to find a exercise that I enjoy doing & that would be easy to work into my daily life. Like swimming, gardening, wood working, & so on.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being in control of your BG.

I've been told to stop my meds now too. I actually eat 100 g of carbs daily, but have lost visceral fat. The Newcastle study points to fatty pancreas and liver as the cause of Type 2, though the BMI threshold at which an individual becomes Type 2 varies wildly depending on predisposition to store fat in pancreas and liver.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm