Are my numbers correct? PLEASE, I'M REALLY TRYING

Options
Hi everyone,

After a loooong time wondering if I should give it a try. I have decided to go for EMTWL way of life.
I'm scared to do it the wron way considering that a) I'm not a number person and b) english only is my second language.

So here's my story and what I'm planning on to do. I'd be very grateful for any insight. Thanks in advance.

I'm female, 32 years old. 5.3ft, I work a desk job.
Regarding weight I've been up to 198lbs, about a year ago. I was 187lbs in January.
I joined MFP july 22 at 169lbs. Lost those pounds without exercising in some kind of 1200 calories a day, more or less.
I wasn't feeling much improvement, health wise. 'Just' got thinner.

From July 22th to October 18th, I've lost 13.5lbs. On 1200 calories a day for 1 month, then 1250. Doing water aerobics for 30 minutes once a week and 40 minutes walks 2 or 3 times a week. I've been staling for 4 weeks, gaining and losing the same 3lbs. Feeling deprived and real hungry the ultimate week.
That trigered a binge on October 18th, at night. I decided that wasn't right.

So, from last saturday (october 19th), weighing in at 157.3lbs after the binge (gained 2lbs no surprise) I went up to 1400 calories a day. So far, I've lost the binge calories and more (almost 3lbs the following two days) and gained back almost 2lbs in the last two days. Sticking (granted, only for 5 days...) to the new 1400 calories a day and eating back 50% of burned calories.

My goal weight is about 125-127lbs. I'm small framed but curvy.
Scooby calculator gives me a BMR of 1475 and a TDEE of 1770 (desk job with little exercice)

I plan on walking 40 minutes a day to go to work and start strengh training (New Rules of Lifting For Women is on its way, thanks to Amazon).

Since I don't know how accurate my TDEE is, I feel more confortable with eating 1400 calories a day + about 50% of burned calories (MFP counter, I don't own an HRM). But I might be wrong. Should I eat BMR + calories burned? Part of it?

I'm really lost but really trying to do the right thing, the right way. I've given all the information I could think of. Any advice, insight would be very welcomed.

Does my plan seems right, to start with?
What should I change, now or after?

I try not to freak out about the weight gain and focus on doing better in the long run.

Thanks in advance for ANY answer

Vanessa

Replies

• zenyacleveland
    zenyacleveland Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am totally new to this as well.
    I upped my calories and I am doing the ChaLean Extreme workouts.
    I can honestly say that I am sure I am not perfect at this but I have lost some weight and I KNOW I am stronger.
    Continue to meditate on what you are learning and stay encouraged.
    I think you are good to go.

I am 33
    5'6
    started at 271
    currently 207.5 (as of this morning)....took a year. and I was eating at a deficit 1200......that I can never keep and would get mad at myself for what I thought was self sabotage. This is a sooooooo much better program.

I am bad at logging, but have an idea of what I eat and have been making better choices.
    My calorie intake is 2000.
    I workout 3 to 5 times a week.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thank you for you answer! This is all so confusing. I guess I'll just give it a try and see how it goes in a few weeks.
    I'm mainly afraid to screw it up and gain a lot at first. We'll see!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    BMR + exercise is wrong direction.

If you try to build going up, you get all the effects of suppressed metabolism because you are likely still there.

You must start high and go down.

Hence the TDEE Deficit method.

MFP calorie estimates are just fine, for walking 50% is fine, because walking is such a low calorie burn, about half those reported calories would have been burned resting at home anyway.
    Bigger activity though, that doesn't apply.

Almost 14 lbs in 4 months - sounds like you didn't really have the deficit in place you think you had. And that likely includes some desired water weight lost.

Slow is better when it's purposely done with knowledge - I think you accomplished slow because the body had no option but to slow down.

So 1200 or 1250 without most of your exercise calories, should have had a bigger deficit if metabolism burning bright.
    And then 4 weeks stall fluctuating, sounds like invalid weigh-in days along with mostly depleted glucose stores.

Might try the spreadsheet on by profile page, topic there if you want more info on BMR and TDEE.