Protein powder

Options
adiggs2777
adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
Howdy y'all,

As part of my nutrition counseling before surgery, the nutritionist is having us test out protein powders so we can make our own shakes post surgery since getting enough protein post surgery is super important. I totally do not want my hair to fall out! I got a small tub of Pure Protein Whey powder, but it has a high cholesterol amount. The taste is good though (I make it with the Aldi vanilla Soy Milk) Can any of you guys recommend a decent tasting relatively inexpensive Whey protein powder you like that has at least 15g of protein, and is low fat/low sugar?

Replies

• ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I drink Premier Protein pre-made protein shakes and they rock. They are only 160 calories, 3g of fat, and only 1g of sugar! The best part is that they have 30g of protein and taste good :)

On a side note--to help reduce hair loss after surgery, you should take Biotin :)

I hope that helps!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My surgeon and dietitian recommended Bariatric Advantage protein meal replacement powders/shakes. They have a variety of flavors and are VERY tasty. I understand they are probably not the cheapest choice, but my opinion is that they are the best because they are made specifically for weight loss surgery patients and address all of the nutritional needs we have. I was not even allowed to proceed with my surgery with their team until I purchased the protein meal replacement powder and my vitamins. I still use them and my son (who has not had weight loss surgery) used the protein powder meal replacement shakes for his weight loss plan and he has lost 110 lbs. I know other powders are great too, but I believe we need to find the actual "meal replacement" powders and not just protein powders. There is a big difference in the nutrients.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    My surgeon and dietitian recommended Bariatric Advantage protein meal replacement powders/shakes. They have a variety of flavors and are VERY tasty. I understand they are probably not the cheapest choice, but my opinion is that they are the best because they are made specifically for weight loss surgery patients and address all of the nutritional needs we have. I was not even allowed to proceed with my surgery with their team until I purchased the protein meal replacement powder and my vitamins. I still use them and my son (who has not had weight loss surgery) used the protein powder meal replacement shakes for his weight loss plan and he has lost 110 lbs. I know other powders are great too, but I believe we need to find the actual "meal replacement" powders and not just protein powders. There is a big difference in the nutrients.

I didn't know that about your son. Good for him! And you must feel good for helping him along too.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I also used bariatric advantage for the same reasons. Now I use Unjury as they have an auto ship program, a bit less expensive and I never run out. Recently went to a medical conference and the newest protein for bariatric sis BioPure. Totally tasteless in water, and blend very easily, and tasteless even in a glass of water
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I went with Syntrax Nectar Protein Powder based on the taste and the fact that for 100 calories I got 24 gm of protein. It runs about $35 per container, but I also wanted something that I could use long term and not hate drinking due to the taste and grittiness. It's a beautiful protein powder. That being said, Annwyatt69 is correct in that Bariatric Advantage is highly rated, as is Celebrate (which includes the daily vitamins that you would need in the powder), for their protein powders that are geared towards bariatric patients. Not all powders are created equal. Good luck finding one that works for you.
  • aspeed911
    Options
    syntrax nectar here also.
    works well in water, milk and warm liquids which is unusual for protein powder.
    I really like several of the flavors.

you can order a sample pack where you pick the flavors so that you are not stuck with a huge jug of something you don't like. Check out the sample pack at BJBariatrics.com
    try the samples then order larger container of you favorites.
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was also recommended doing bariatric adantage and Unjury. They exclusively told me it has to be 100% whey protein isolate. well That's a bit on the costly side, so I got some 100% whey protein from GNC. it wasn't good. However, after surgery my taste buds changed, and the stuff I did like, I now cannot stand. In fact I can't even do powdered protein, I prefer ready to drink.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I will store this for future use. It's always best to get advice from people who have been there!
  • Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I am a huge fan of Unjury protein ..they have chicken soup which is a huge break from the typical protein shake. They have a strawberry sorbet you can mix with lemonade Crystal light, the unflavored is great to add to anything and no taste but they do have an odor. I love love it and all have 20 grams of protein per serving.

oh they have other flavors--vanillar, chocolate,
  • gramsoffive
    Options
    I agree about the Unjury!! It is really great. I currently have both the chicken broth and the unflavored. They are both really good.

I am currently on a clear liquid + protein...so I mix the unflavored with any flavor of crystal lite. Good drink!

Can't wait to progress to yogurts, etc So that I can try it with them as well.
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    I'm trying different ones too and recently bought the Nature's Way Hemp protein and fiber.....mostly because it was buy one, get one free. I've got to say, I'm not crazy about it. I mixed it with cottage cheese yesterday and that wasn't a good mix. It was flat out ugly to look at and the taste was not great. This morning, I put it in a smoothie with berries and almond milk and it was ok. It's got 14g fiber and 11g protein for 130 calories. I'll use up what I bought but unless I find a way to make it taste wonderful, I'doubt I'll buy it again.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Isopure zero carb protein drink. Not a powder, clear protein in various flavors. 20oz bottle, 40 grams protein, zero carbs, 160 calories. I am 5 weeks post Sleeve and drink 1 per day. Down 40lbs.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Isopure zero carb protein drink. Not a powder, clear protein in various flavors. 20oz bottle, 40 grams protein, zero carbs, 160 calories. I am 5 weeks post Sleeve and drink 1 per day. Down 40lbs.

I tried several of these early on. They have lots of protein, but I thought they all tasted like sweat. And not the good kind of sweat, either.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options

I tried several of these early on. They have lots of protein, but I thought they all tasted like sweat. And not the good kind of sweat, either.

That's a rough one. To me they taste more like a Jolley Rancher (except the coconut, don't like that one).
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

That's a rough one. To me they taste more like a Jolley Rancher (except the coconut, don't like that one).

I had a hard time drinking the Isopure for two weeks. It was way too sweet and it made my mouth feel icky. I was so glad when I could stop drinking them. There were maybe two flavors that I could deal with and I might buy a few more of those, but for the most part, good riddance to that stuff!
  • Ceruleannebula
    Ceruleannebula Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I drink Premier Protein pre-made protein shakes and they rock. They are only 160 calories, 3g of fat, and only 1g of sugar! The best part is that they have 30g of protein and taste good :)

On a side note--to help reduce hair loss after surgery, you should take Biotin :)

I hope that helps!

The Premier Protein Shakes are what my Surgeon recommended and I know that he drinks them himself as a protein supplement. The Protein doesn't come from soy and they taste great. I would definitely recommend them. I have found the best place to buy them is bulk stores like Sam's Club or Costco.
  • Beana21
    Beana21 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have three tubs of Syntrax Nectar flavors and an tub of Isopure unflavored. I've tried several samples of Nectar flavors and pretty much every one was tasty. Hard to go wrong with them. The Isopure I like to put in a shaker cup with low sugar juice or V8. I also put a scoop of it in with SF/FF pudding when I was making some the other day. Can't even taste it. :)