High Fasting, but Normal Otherwise

Options
I was wondering if anyone else has this issue with their blood glucose…

When I test my BG first thing in the morning after fasting all night, it is always high, around 120-130. About half an hour after breakfast (regardless if I have taken my meds) it seems to go down. I spend most of the day under 120, and a great deal of the time I’m in the 90’s or lower.

Whenever I get my blood work done my A1C shows that I am slightly high and that the current fasting BG is a little high as well.

It appears that even though my BG stays within a good range throughout the day, my fasting is always high, and in fact is usually the highest BG number I get all day.

I guess I am just dense, but I’m not sure why this happens. Any thoughts?

Replies

• javonjay76
    javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can't give you any thoughts but I'm right there with you! My fasting is average anywhere between 150-175 but after breakfast and throughout the day it is in normal range. Even when I have a low carb evening meal, its still high the next day.

So hopefully maybe someothers can have a few opinions.
  • Darlekins
    Options
    I think you might need to evaluate what you consider a "normal" level. Blood sugars at peak after a meal should be under 140 and should be under 100 at any other random time during the day. If yours aren't at this level, you'll need to evaluate how many carbs you're eating per meal/snack and how much exercise you're getting.

In addition, fasting is the last number to see improvement, so if your diet is in line and you are achieving "normal" numbers consistently, you may just need some time.
  • papa369
    papa369 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's called the Dawn Effect. You can Google it and it will give you a lot of information on it. I'm a newbe and my morning were in the 200 and the rest of the day in the 120. My Doctor doubled my night time med and now I'm at about 114 in the morning. Hope this helps.
    Papa369
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Mourningkiss...a couple of things come to mind...when's your last meal before you go to bed? how many carbs and calories in that meal? are you working out at all? if so, when in conjunction with when you eat and go to bed? I was having the same trouble for a while. I am completely med-free and not technically considered to be diabetic any longer...of course I'm not buying into that concept just yet, since I still have around 30-35 pounds to lose and have not changed my way of eating very much. Can give you more details later, but those things are what you need to start to look at.
  • flyrobinfly57
    Options
    Been on Lantus and onglyza for a yr or there about..Saw Endocrinologist on Oct 2..my fasting has been high..175 to 225..He changed my med routine. to make sure Onglyza is in the a.m. and he is letting me try Victoza at night..been on this for a week and fasting is coming down..around 155 average. He told me my liver was over producing while sleeping..said the brain needed the energy..This is just my predicament. I am on the next step of Victoza 1.2 for a week and then up to the 1.8 on week three so we will see if my fasting sugars come down. He has a goal of 130 or less. Everybody is different..If the numbers don't come down in a moth to 130 fasting, I am sure he will ask me to start taking the Lantus again. I trust this Dr. He is at a UAB Kirklin Clinic and they have wonderful Drs. Been a DM 2 since 2008..need to lose 15 more pounds. Did notice the fasting # will be slightly lower if I ride my exercise bike in the evening..
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Are you following a low carb diet?
    My fasting levels are a little high, but my daytime, post meal numbers are great.
    I read the following article a while back, and I believe it explains my numbers...

http://chriskresser.com/when-your-“normal”-blood-sugar-isn’t-normal-part-2
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    With you! Doc did change my med to night time to help with this. I do believe that the biggest thing is how late I eat my last meal and what it is.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It is probably the Dawn Effect, like it says above. Also, your liver will dump stored glucose during periods of fasting. I have heard eating a high protein snack like nuts or cheese right before bed will help. I don't know for sure but I have been eating peanuts every night for a few days.
  • jamiesurleplage
    jamiesurleplage Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Those occasions where I have a higher than usual fasting BG is directly related to what I eat the night before. The nutritionist I see explained that if you have a high fat dinner, it can have a direct effect on your blood sugar (and this does happen to me if I eat something with a lot of fat the night before).