Finally Home from Surgery!

Options
Well I had my Bypass on the morning of 10/21 and was able to come home on 10/24. I did have to spend 2 days in the ICU Because my blood sugars would not come down (I'm a type 1 diabetic).

Since being home I find all I do is sleep and sip on water plus take nausea meds. I have never been so nauseated in my life!! I have to take a dissolvable Zofran every 3 hours just to keep the fluids I am able to drink down. I had the same problem in the hospital too. All I would do is dry heave and it is horrible!

Dr says I need to be on the protein shakes till my post op appointment (11/4) but all the sweetness is not doing it for me! I use Unjury protein shakes and have the chicken soup flavor which is really yummy and I can handle that but the chocolate and vanilla that I was drinking before the surgery are just too sweet now! They just leave a bad taste/film in my mouth that makes me even more nauseated. I will probably have to call the nutritionist/nurse on Monday if I cant figure something out.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve surgery on Oct. 9th, and I had the same problem with the Isopure I had to drink. It was way to sweet and it left my mouth feeling gross. I was allowed to have broth, and that helped me a lot to break up all the sweetness. I hope you can figure out how to deal with it, but at least it won't be forever. Hope you feel better soon!
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our Weight Loss Surgery group. I'm glad to see you've gone through the surgery already. That Diabetes is a horrible disease, but I'm sure you're hoping with some life changes Post-Op you'll be doing much better managing it. It must have been horrible for you to be in ICU; you had to be very, very sick. But you're on your way to recovery now that you're home; I know I felt so much better being in my own bed!

I, too, was extremely nauseated following the surgery. I had the Gastric Sleeve done on 7/30/2013. I had a difficult time keeping anything down and was dry-heaving like crazy. All I could manage for the first 5-7 days was little sips of water or low-sodium chicken broth. My doctor and staff kept stressing for me to keep sipping fluids every 10 minutes while I was awake. The nausea and heartburn I had dissipated 1 week after surgery. I then began to be able to drink more clear fluids and I was able to eat a few spoonfuls of jello or applesauce.

Keep in contact with your doctor and staff; that's why they make the big bucks, LOL. And please keep all of us in the loop with how you're doing.

Heal and rest up. Cya round here, Janis
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Glad you are home and I hope that things begin to go more smoothly for you. I also am a type I diabetic who had gastric bypass on 9/27/12. I am fortunate to be on an insulin pump and, as soon as I was in my right mind, I had my sons help me get my pump reattached after surgery so my blood sugars would drop. My blood sugars were around the 700 mark and the doctors orders were to give me 5 units at a time, which obviously was not smart when my basal rate was already over 5 u/hr pre surgery. So, I was able to ward off any trouble that way, thankfully.
    I also was fortunate to never have had any nausea or vomiting at all. Whether it's my makeup or the fact that my surgeon's orders were to "eat" out of little 1 oz. medicine cups 5 x a day for the first week (aside from drinking water) that helped that, I don't know. The surgery has been one of the best choices I ever made and I hope that it will be for you too.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Great idea to keep the nutritionist informed. I saw mine once a week before the surgery and again after (once I was back on my feet). My nutritionist was invaluable to me - always great ideas on how to tweak what wasn't working and how to make it better. At times, she was more important than the surgeon. Use her/him, that's why they are in the program. Good luck and stay positive! :flowerforyou:
  • gramsoffive
    Options
    I have been using both the unflavored Unjury and the Unjury Chicken broth my sources of protein. I mix the unflavored with the crystal light flavors...not to bad. Best for me so far has been the lemon flavor. I agree, things seem to taste sweeter for some reason.

Sorry to hear about the nausea. I was very lucky (I guess). I haven't had that at all. I do take a capsule (emptied out) each morning about an hour before I try to swallow anything else. It was prescribed by the surgeon and was told to take it daily for 4 months. It is supposed to prevent reflux, etc. So far, it has worked for me.

Best wishes for fast healing. Keep us informed on how you are progressing. We are all in this together!! Things are going to get better!! I love reading the success stories on this site!
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Welcome home! Sorry to hear about your blood sugar issues, but hopefully that's all in the past and your surgery will take of any future problems with that now (that's what I've heard anyway).

I'm an advocate of the unflavored Unjury powder too. I had some samples from Unjury (you can order a sample box of variety of their stuff online). I tried it in some pureed soup and worked great. I know it will be a while before you get there, and the chicken broth is good too. And the vanilla...lol

But I agree, best to touch base with your nutritionist. Check back, we are all happy to help any way we can. I'm still a newbie myself, almost 2 weeks post-op.

Debbie
  • tabatham1982
    tabatham1982 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am on an Insulin pump and I am holding steady at 2units per hour basal rate, and with all the liquids I have yet to have to give my self a bolus. So I am very pleased with that!

I am still having a hard time with all the sweet protein drinks but I am going to call the nutritionist on Monday and see what can be done.

The other thing I worry about is the fact that I am hungry. The shakes help but the sweet ones just make me nauseated and make me want to sleep then I really want a chicken broth one which seems to give me energy and then I am hungry, did this happen with anyone else? I dunno if I am supposed to be hungry I know the Dr. said I wouldn't feel as hungry and I am not starving, I just get a craving for soft foods like mashed potatoes, but I am supposed to be on this liquid diet until the 4th and I am miserable!
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can't say I was hungry at all. I hate to force myself to drink fluids. Even when I was on the pureed diet, I had to force myself to eat/drink. I have days now where I'm still the same way, with few days where I'm combating hunger. It's probably an individual thing, but I would certainly mention it on Monday when you call your Surgeon's office. Don't give into those cravings. Maybe it would help you to drink more water, whether it be hot or cold?

Good luck to you and I hope you continue to do well as your heal :)
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have found all protein shakes go Dow best if icy cold and diluted to a much thinner consistency to dilute sweetness. Another trick is to use half flavore and half unflavored. Same protein, less sweet
  • gramsoffive
    Options
    Try the Chicken broth Unjury protein....you just have to make sure the water is under 140 degrees. It is really good!! I don't like the sweet ones either. The warm protein chicken broth from Unjury really hits the mark. It is almost soothing to the stomach. I could have it for every meal!! I was able to purchase it at our Bariatric Clinic Store, but you can also get it online. It is certainly worth a try. Plus you are getting the protein you need!!