Healthy Pumpkin Pie Custard - Low Carb & Gluten Free

Options
MermaidTX
MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
For all my low carber friends :)

I've been making this pumpkin custard regularly. They don't last long because they get eaten morning, noon & nite. Very easy to make & awesome source of Vitamin A.

I make them in silicon muffin cups & get 12 servings. To add to deliciousness, top with a teaspoon or so of roasted (in butter) pecans & whipped cream. I'm posting my revised recipe from sugarfreemom.com.

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Custard: Gluten Free & Low Carb

Ingredients
1 can (15 ounce) pure pumpkin (I like Libby's)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
4 beaten eggs (room temperature works best so the whites mix up)
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp stevia powder (not the kind w/ additives)
Optional toppings: Whipped Cream, Sprinkle of nutmeg, butter-roasted pecans

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray 6 ramekin or custard cups with nonstick cooking spray, or use 12 silicon muffin cups
In a large bowl mix together pumpkin, milk,spices, and stevia (may need 1/4 tsp more stevia if you want them sweeter so that's why I recommend tasting before adding the eggs). Mix in beaten eggs.
Pour evenly into ramekins or muffin cups.
Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. (I put my muffin cups in a large pan with water for a "bain marie" to be sure they are really smooth textured)
Remove from oven, set cups on wire rack to cool and add roasted pecans.
Best served cold. Top with whipped cream! Sprinkle with nutmeg!

Here's the link to original recipe:

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/healthy-pumpkin-pie-custard-gluten-free-low-carb/

Here's the macros for 12 muffin cups with my changes to original recipe (w/o the pecans):

53 calories
3 carbs - 2 fiber = 1 net carb
4 fat
3 protein

Edit: This really tastes like a rich pumpkin pie filling (not eggy)

Replies

• GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I was worried about an "eggy" flavor, then I noticed your comment.
    I love pumpkin pie, so I will definitely give this a try.

Thanks!!
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    I forgot to add:
    With the Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas season coming up quickly, this recipe is quite timely!
  • MermaidTX
    Options
    I was worried about an "eggy" flavor, then I noticed your comment.
    I love pumpkin pie, so I will definitely give this a try.

Thanks!!

I looked at a pumpkin pie recipe & pretty much the diff between it & this "custard" is the added eggs. It's called a custard but doesn't really have a custard texture. IMO, it's more of a pumpkin pie w/o the crust.
  • clare_smiles
    clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thankyou!
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    I looked at a pumpkin pie recipe & pretty much the diff between it & this "custard" is the added eggs. It's called a custard but doesn't really have a custard texture. IMO, it's more of a pumpkin pie w/o the crust.
    Maybe I'll just try it with 1 or 2 eggs first, since there isn't much difference between a regular pie recipe and the custard.
    I really, REALLY hate the flavor of eggs on its own, so finding a recipe that is pumpkin in flavor and the correct consistency, but without the egg flavor would be wonderful!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I tried it but with almond milk (no cream) and stevia liquid.
    I have a sweet tooth, so it may be just me, but I found it needed more sweetness to it. Will experiment again, could use some more creaminess as well, so may add the cream to the next batch. Thanks!
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! This sounds yummy!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I went to the site after I saw your diary (thanks for the address). It looks yummy!! I will definitely be making this!! Thanks :)
  • MermaidTX
    Options
    I tried it but with almond milk (no cream) and stevia liquid.
    I have a sweet tooth, so it may be just me, but I found it needed more sweetness to it. Will experiment again, could use some more creaminess as well, so may add the cream to the next batch. Thanks!

Yeah my sweet tooth has been dialed back but when I make these when guests are coming, I add a 1/4 tsp Stevia.

I also made a batch using 1/2 cup HWC for my mom to take to a luncheon - they were much creamier tasting!
    I went to the site after I saw your diary (thanks for the address). It looks yummy!! I will definitely be making this!! Thanks :)

YVW!
  • clare_smiles
    clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For all my low carber friends :)

I've been making this pumpkin custard regularly. They don't last long because they get eaten morning, noon & nite. Very easy to make & awesome source of Vitamin A.

I make them in silicon muffin cups & get 12 servings. To add to deliciousness, top with a teaspoon or so of roasted (in butter) pecans & whipped cream. I'm posting my revised recipe from sugarfreemom.com.

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Custard: Gluten Free & Low Carb

Ingredients
    1 can (15 ounce) pure pumpkin (I like Libby's)
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    4 beaten eggs (room temperature works best so the whites mix up)
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
    1/2 tsp stevia powder (not the kind w/ additives)
    Optional toppings: Whipped Cream, Sprinkle of nutmeg, butter-roasted pecans

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Spray 6 ramekin or custard cups with nonstick cooking spray, or use 12 silicon muffin cups
    In a large bowl mix together pumpkin, milk,spices, and stevia (may need 1/4 tsp more stevia if you want them sweeter so that's why I recommend tasting before adding the eggs). Mix in beaten eggs.
    Pour evenly into ramekins or muffin cups.
    Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. (I put my muffin cups in a large pan with water for a "bain marie" to be sure they are really smooth textured)
    Remove from oven, set cups on wire rack to cool and add roasted pecans.
    Best served cold. Top with whipped cream! Sprinkle with nutmeg!

Here's the link to original recipe:

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/healthy-pumpkin-pie-custard-gluten-free-low-carb/

Here's the macros for 12 muffin cups with my changes to original recipe (w/o the pecans):

53 calories
    3 carbs - 2 fiber = 1 net carb
    4 fat
    3 protein

Edit: This really tastes like a rich pumpkin pie filling (not eggy)

This was delicious! Thank you so much for sharing. I used about 1/2c of Swerve instead of the stevia. YUM!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    bump! looks good, want to try it.
  • crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! This sounds so good!
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. After 2 weeks of induction, I'm starting to branch out a little and increase my options without raising my 20/day carb limit.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spicekat77
    Options
    This is my favorite way to make pumpkin pie!!!

I have a wheat allergy, so I've been making pumpkin pie without a crust for years. I also use Xylitol (100% natural Birch) as my go to sweetner.

And thanks for the link as I'm always looking for new recipes that fit my WOL.

Anita
  • southpaw3833
    Options
    That does not sounds too bad at all.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I'm gonna try it over the holidays :)