Introducing Myself and Saying Hello

Options
I turned 50 on September 14. It felt weird and really bothered me but since I obviously couldn't do a thing about the clock ticking I decided I could go one of two ways - either let it take me down and be depressed or let 50 be the best year ever. I'm going for the second option :-).

I've been a member here for what feels like forever and have lost a few pounds, and gained a few back over the years. I really am going to put myself and my health first now and get serious about losing weight. I am 5'4" and have been hovering just under 200 pounds for the last 4 or 5 years. My goal is to lose 50 during year 50! My mother died at age 68 and obesity was one of the causes listed on her death certificate. Earlier this summer I went in for a physical and to start on hormone replacement therapy. I was shocked to see the deficiencies listed when my blood work came back. Needless to say there will be some changes to the quality of my calories as well as the quantity lol.

This weekend I dusted off the old treadmill because walking with intervals of running is what has worked for me before.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Replies

• sjsmith9
    sjsmith9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I'm 5'4", 58 yrs and I too just want to be healthy and smaller. This is a supportive group. You can add me as a friend.
  • suemichele
    suemichele Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 55 years old and looking to be healthy and feeling good. This is a great group! Add me if you like!
  • arctvc
    arctvc Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi, I'm 50 soon to be 51 in 3 weeks. I needed to do something for me as far as getting healthy and to get weight off these bad knees of mine. I have enjoyed this supportive group and I have met some pretty cool women as well . Add me as a friend if you like I don't bite, now swearing that's a very different story. Have a great day and good luck on your journey
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a great bunch of ladies. Click and add them all as friends. Me too if I don't beat you to it. :laugh:
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the warm response. I'm so glad I found this group and am taking all of you up on the offer to friend you. A girl can never have too many friends!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hi! I turned 60 in March and I still can believe it. Working out and eating better has helped me feel better about myself, but I try not to think about that number ;)
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Rapidly heading towards 58 and losing weight slowly over last year and a half.
    Feel free to add me and good luck.
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Knitting, we have similar stories, I turned 50 in Feb and finally got serious about getting healthy. My only caution is that it has been much harder, much slower to lose the weight from this aging body. I thought a steady 1 lb a week would be easy. But the reality is that at 50, it may not happen that way. Even if you are "perfect," your weight loss will fluctuate and some weeks you'll even gain. I've lost about 25 lbs since Jan with many ups and downs.

Don't let it get you down or derail you. If you're serious, this is a lifestyle change with no deadline -- just a commitment to good health. I wish you the best!
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! This is a great group of ladies. Feel free to add me!
    Ruth
  • txteadrinker
    txteadrinker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Add me too :smile:
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Lisa, and I'll be 53 on Saturday. Hard to believe, but true.

I live in the U.P. of Michigan and have a husband and 3 sons. I also have four birds and 2 guinea pigs.
  • padisneyfour
    Options
    Welcome!!! My name is Tammy. I live in a small NW pa town. I turned 50 in july and decided it was time to make a change in my life for me! feel free to add me. I try to log in every day... I have missed one day since March 2013 and it really helps keep me on track! I dont post that much but try to comment some everyday on friends progress/success..... it takes one step at a time and the hardest one is that first step which you have already done!!!!! welcome!
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are all so awesome. I'm so glad I found this group!