Running 3 days in a row?

Options
StephFork
StephFork Posts: 182 Member
Is it bad to do a week 3 days straight? I've never done it before but I finished week 4 on Monday and start week 5 today. If my back can handle it I'd like to finish off the week by Friday before the weekend. What is everyone thoughts on this? My back hurts because I did an intense crossfit workout after my run on Monday. Still sore.. :(

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Personally, I didn't do back to back runs until I completed the whole C210K program, mostly because I wanted to take it slow and steady and avoid any/all injuries. If you are already sore, I would probably not do the days back to back to back. You don't want to get hurt or strain something and then be out for a week or more - that would be a huge pain!

Week 5 can be a tough week, because W5 Day3 is the first time you run for 20 minutes straight. For me, week 5 was a tough week mentally, and I am glad that I did it every other day as the program is written. I really needed the "rest" days to prepare for the 20 minutes. I was able, by doing the program exactly as it was written, to stay really injury and pain free for the whole thing.

If your body is telling you to go for it, then do it. If your body is sore and wanting rest, I think you should rest. You will not get hurt by taking an extra rest day, but you may get hurt if you push too much.

Good luck!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'd say no. For one thing, you are already injured and that's going to affect your running. For another thing, the people who have run back to back find that their third day isn't a quality run. This is because your fitness is actually built in recovery.

Staying on a schedule is good, but the last year of running has taught me to look at the big picture. Why push yourself past the point where it's going to be fun just to get a day ahead?
  • StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'm glad I asked. I don't want to hurt myself and Mondays run was great. Hopefully my back will feel good tonight and I'll be able to squeeze in another run before Monday over the weekend. :)