Multivitamin??

Options
fatsork
fatsork Posts: 82 Member
Should i take a multivitamin as this high fat diet is leaving my vitamin columns on 0?? Concerned newbie keto gal

Replies

• Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Regardless of any diet, a multivitamin is always a good idea. Marco nutrients are great, but we need all those little micro nutrients as well.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Multivitamins FOR SURE!! You're not taking in as many fruits and veggies generally, so I would make sure to take one.
  • fatsork
    fatsork Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bought some today , thank you
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack, is there any way to get the nutrients without taking a vit? The chemicallyness of vitamins scares me, my shampoo has less chemicals lol
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack, is there any way to get the nutrients without taking a vit? The chemicallyness of vitamins scares me, my shampoo has less chemicals lol

Those chemically ingredients are usually just the chemical name of the vitamin. For example, Ascorbic Acid = Vitamin C. Ferrous Fumarate is iron. Beta Carotene gives you Vitamin A. (Sorry - but everything, in the end is made of chemicals! It doesn't make them bad).
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Pyridoxine hydrochloride sounds like it'd kill you... but nope, it's Vitamin B6!

Ergocalciferol, Phylloquinone, Cyanocobalamin, chromium, molybdenum, potassium iodide, inositol and choline... They all *sound* like something you'd find in a chemistry lab of a mad professor, but they're very useful in your body. I don't think a reputable vitamin maker would put "chemicals" that are unnecessary or detrimental in their formula; it would kill you faster and that means they lose a customer, and it would cost more and they would lose profit. ^_^

If you don't want to take a multivitamin and prefer (like I do) to get your micronutrients from foods, make sure you're buying whole fresh foods (frozen is *alright* but not GREAT.) with a lot of color. Broccoli and bell peppers instead of potatoes, dark spinach instead of lettuce, animal liver/brain (cabeza!)/tongue (la lengua!)/tripe instead of ground beef or even steak, skin-on bone-in chicken thighs and wings instead of boneless skinless chicken breasts, walnuts over peanuts... You get the idea. You could live to be a hundred without ever eating a plant again and not be nutrient deficient. Everything you need can either be synthesized in your own body organically, or is present in another animal.

Usually, it's even cheaper to get the nutrition-dense chicken thighs/wings compared to the breasts, anyway. Same with the little-demanded organ meats like liver and tripe and tongue compared to even the cheapest chuck or flank steak.

I know it goes against everything you've been taught for over 3 decades by the American Heart Association. That doesn't make what they said right. Pretty much every respectable study that compared low-fat/low-cal to low-carb diets have shown more body fat percentage reduction and improved cholesterol profiles in the low-carb group. People of our generation were raised to think (especially in the '90s) that if it's fat-free or low-fat, it doesn't make you fat... But farmers have known for years they can get animals fat by feeding them corn and grains and keeping them sedentary. Their meat also lacks nutrition and has bad fat ratios compared to animals allowed to roam and eat grass and leaves. Fat and cholesterol are GOOD. Load up on them. And then move more. Take the stairs, it beats waiting for the elevator and then having to look at the ground in awkward silence with people you don't know. Park at the back of the lot, you'll probably get to the doors quicker than waiting for a space near the front anyway.

References:
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/facts-about-vitamins.html
    http://howtodieyoung.blogspot.com/2011/02/newest-forgotten-superfood.html
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutrition-cow-tongue-1762.html
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/diet/themes/lowfat.html
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Bone broth=supplement <3
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I take a multi. It's easier than micromanaging your nutrient intake. I do monitor Mg, and K a bit more closely and supplement them separately and I've begun adding Iodine (as Kelp extract) because my Thyroid is "a little small" according to a checkup. The rest I just take a supplement rather than going on a search for offal and certain veges and berries to get something I might need more of.

Besides, not all the the nutrients in the food are listed in the MFP profiles. I think most people just put in the important bits on the label. Most labels don't list everything in the foods either. Just fat, calories, carbs, Na as required by law.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Bone broth=supplement <3

True this!
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options

The only way is to eat "nose to tail" with veges. If you like offal, you can get all you need. If you are like me and can't stand liver, brains and hearts, take a multi ^^
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have always tea ken a centrum multivitamin, omega 3 and vitamin d supplement, even before doing the low carb thing
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been generally following the Linus Pauling Institute's recommendations for supplements for more than a decade. You can get the info here:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/lpirx2.html