Already running, have not started program, opinions please!

Options
HiImJayme
HiImJayme Posts: 29 Member
Hi All,

I have been using MFP for about 15 weeks now and have been incorporating some jogging into my exercise routine. I have not been using any real running program, but just trying to go a little further each time. Recently, I have been increasing the distance and, at each of my last two workouts, have been able to complete a mile in about 12 minutes. After that first mile, I have been continuing on to complete a 5k distance with intermittent walking and running. Today, I was able to jog for 2 miles of the total distance.

My question is, because I am already able to do some distance jogging, should I start in a later week of the program? Or, should I slow my roll and just start following the program at week 1? I think the structure of the designated running and walking time will help me push myself but I'm just not sure where to start given my current ability.

I haven't been having any pain with my "longer" runs.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions you can offer!

Replies

• mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You don't need no stinkin' program! You seem to have figured out what works for you. I began running in January w/o a program. I read a lot about running and went as slowly as possible to go further and further. Now I can comfortably run 5 miles at a 10:30 pace. I can go further and faster, but that's my comfy zone right now.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    As you already have a running base (most people start from zero or haven't run for years) you'll probably find the early weeks easy but then you could always run the intervals at a faster rate, slowing down later in the programme when you need to.

Or if you really don't want to go back to the beginning, jump in at maybe week 4 where the intervals start to get longer but before the 20min runs kick in at the end of week 5. That way you'll get a feel for how the structure works just before you start to feel more challenged.

If it was me I'd start at the beginning and enjoy the easier weeks just so I could say I'd done the whole programme but it's entirely up to you if you want to jump the first few weeks :bigsmile:
  • HiImJayme
    Options
    Thank you both for your advice! I just can't believe I can actually "run." Not something I ever thought I'd be able to say!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That is too awesome! Good for you!

I'd start at the beginning and just enjoy the beginning weeks. You might want to look for a program that starts with 60 second runs, rather than 30 second runs though.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You know, if you have created your own base that is fine. I would actually suggest checking out the running programs at coachjenny.com. They might be more up your ally when it comes to getting to the 5K level. She has several that look to work into your current skill level, and having not done a formal C25K type of program.

I personally would recommend either the 5K Run/Walk program or the beginners program. I will leave the judgement up to you. My women's running group (considered a beginners group) does a run 5 minutes walk 2 minutes adaption from Coach Jenny's program.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That is great advice!
  • HiImJayme
    Options
    You know, if you have created your own base that is fine. I would actually suggest checking out the running programs at coachjenny.com. They might be more up your ally when it comes to getting to the 5K level. She has several that look to work into your current skill level, and having not done a formal C25K type of program.

I personally would recommend either the 5K Run/Walk program or the beginners program. I will leave the judgement up to you. My women's running group (considered a beginners group) does a run 5 minutes walk 2 minutes adaption from Coach Jenny's program.

Thanks! I will definitely check that out!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    What about the 5K "Finish it" plan from Train Like a Mother? http://anothermotherrunner.com/2012/08/27/beginningrunner/

If you click the link and scroll down the page, there is a hyperlink for a free .pdf of the 5K Finish It plan. I am currently doing the 10K Finish It Plan, and I'm loving it. I think the 5K plan starts you out with 2 minutes of running at a time - so it progresses you a bit faster than the Couch to 5K plan.