plateau

Options
Hey guys!
What is your experience about hitting the initial plateau after you entered Keto?
How long did it last for you and what did you do (if anything) to jump start weight loss again?

I've been on less than 20g carbs per day since September 18 (I used the atkins app at the beginning though, not MFP so on here I have just been tracking the last 15 days), lost about 17lbs in the first month, then stopped losing at all around the 14th of October.
I tried a carb nite (pizza and ice cream) on the 24th of October to jump start things but I just got 4lbs which I still haven't shed again.
So any experience/advice will be more than appreciated!

Cheers!

Replies

• Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well, you have 2 options : either fat fast or eating more carbs for a few days ( not exaggerating with calories though) . Both ways work for me.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to stop eating breakfast for a few days - this allowed me to go longer in between dinner/breakfast and for some reason that kick-started things for me.
  • gladpants
    Options
    I do fasting of 24 or more hours. Though I am rather large and have a sedentary desk job so I can make it through an entire work day on just water without feeling hungry. Try a heavy water day with super tiny snacks if you feel lightheaded and see if you dont start the weight loss again. I find myself only eating once a day now.
  • arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    when you say "fat fasting" do you mean to basically go all protein, not eating fat along with not eating carbs?
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    when you say "fat fasting" do you mean to basically go all protein, not eating fat along with not eating carbs?

No. Fat fasting is: http://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Dana Carpenter's "Fat Fast Cookbook" will completely walk you through a fat fast. I did a fat fast a few months ago and loved it! I think she recommends 1,000 calories and 85% fat + 10% protein + 5% carbs, give or take, but basically LOTS of fat.

I usually stall after week 3 or 4 for a few weeks. I agree with mixing things up. Personally, I would take a few days or a week off to have some carbs, and then I'd hit the ground running with a fat fast followed by a week of intense workouts.

But overall, I'd say you just have to expect some inconsistent losses. I think it's really rate to lose every single week. Most people will lose > lose > lose > then stay the same or gain for a few weeks > then lose > then stay the same > etc.

Your body is probably still changing, even if you don't see that exactly on the scale.
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Read Atkins . He desicribes fat fast pretty well.
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    Just curious, how much water are you getting in a day? I've heard lots of instances of people who plateau, and oftentimes it's just that their water intake isn't high enough. If you do increase your water, make sure that you're getting adequate sodium as well, or else you might start to feel fuzzy-headed and unwell.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Drink more water!
    Don't Cheat!
    KCKO (Keep Calm Keto On)
    Try a fat fast
    Try intermittent fasting
    Eat closer to maintenance calories for a few days (ie. don't cut calories too much)
    Drink more water!
    Take Kelp tablets (For Iodine which promotes healthy Thyroid function)
    Take supplements of Magnesium, Potassium if you are lacking these in your diet (for electrolytes)
    More important, take other measurements apart from weight alone such as waist, neck, thighs, even measure your "Muffin Top" for changes. You may find your plateau loses you inches!
    Drink more water!
  • arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'll go drink more water just in case ;)
  • edgartronic
    Options
    I actually just broke through a plateau last week by adding intermittent fasting. All my calories get consumed between 12noon - 8pm.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Are you eating too much protein? A body typically needs no more than 1.5 grams per kg of lean body mass. If you consume excess protein, your body will convert it to sugar, and then it's like you've been eating sugar from the start (totally counterproductive).
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Great tips everyone!