Just started C25K...

Options
Hi all I'm on my 2nd day of week 1. Can anyone offer any tips or suggestions to be successful?

Thanks!

1251017.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Welcome! My advice is to go at your own pace and go slow if you need to. I have had to slow down to make it through the longer runs and I'm now on week 5.
  • T4tania123
    Options
    I just started too

Week 2, day 2 for me!

I was told to get a pair of decent shoes!
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    same as above....go slow and comfortable and you'll do great!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Trust the program. Trust your body. You can do it. If you reach a point where you think you can't, you just need to ask the right question.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Trust the program. Trust your body. You can do it. If you reach a point where you think you can't, you just need to ask the right question.

And, what question is that??? Don't leave us hanging. :laugh:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Good Shoes
    Run at a time that won't be interrupted (it's easier to stick to a schedule if it's a good time)
    You're stronger than you think, you CAN do this
    Quitting is not an option (you can quit after you complete it but let yourself complete your goal!)
    Be proud of yourself every run, whether it was your slowest or fastest, you did something that millions on the couch can't!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Depends on the problem. However, the answer will probably be 1) have you gotten fitted for shoes at a running store or 2) slow down.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

Depends on the problem. However, the answer will probably be 1) have you gotten fitted for shoes at a running store or 2) slow down.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Those two ARE usually the answers to every issue in C25k:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

LOL! Agreed, these answers fix almost all problems encountered.

Welcome to the group. In the beginning, just slow down and complete the program. Don't worry about distance. Just make it through the run periods. Slow down.
  • sinca21
    sinca21 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Definitely go slow and wear proper shoes! I have the personality where I want to be awesome at something right away and that has gotten me into going too fast, too soon and then I quit. What's worked for me so far this time (I'm on Week 5) is to schedule out your runs and stick to it. Keep going and don't give in when your mind wants to quit. When you are having a tough time on a run, think about anything else but running. Best wishes to you!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Definitely go slow and wear proper shoes! I have the personality where I want to be awesome at something right away and that has gotten me into going too fast, too soon and then I quit.
    :embarassed: That's so me. Complete overachiever.
  • lhawke316
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone!!

So I've finished my Day 3 on Week 1 and I've started keeping a journal of my progress.
    The Shoes I've got... (finally.) So far, the past 2 days and today have been done on a treadmill....I'll see how my progress is on Saturday when I give myself the "test" lol. I've been going down to the fitness center during/on my lunch hour and hopping on an open tread mill.

I know that running/jogging on a treadmill is completely different than running/ jogging on actual pavement....Any tips on what I can do on a treadmill that will help me with crossing over to running/jogging on pavement?

Thanks in advance!!! ( Happy Wednesday!)

1251017.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Some people do the whole program on the treadmill. You're doing it and that's what matters. It can be tough to transition from one to the other (either way). But you'll learn that everything in running is handled in the same way: backing off mileage and intensity until your body adjusts. Some say that a 1-2% incline makes the transition easier; I find the treadmill to be hard enough completely flat.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

I know that running/jogging on a treadmill is completely different than running/ jogging on actual pavement....Any tips on what I can do on a treadmill that will help me with crossing over to running/jogging on pavement?

I did the entire program on a treadmill last winter and had a hard transition to the outdoors.
    Near the end of my training, I heard that if you train with the treadmill at an incline of 2 it simulates (somewhat) the extra effort and traction you use when running outdoors. I did try that but may have started too late in the program for it to be of help.
    Be prepared to back off in distance and time running when you transition outdoors. It's different for everyone and for me it was like going back to Week 4. I could run roughly 5-8 minutes outdoors before needing to take a walk break. It was deflating, to say the least. BUT it goes away and running outdoors is amazing. I'm going to miss it when I start running on the treadmill this winter.
    On the treadmill, you run in one spot and don't have to propel yourself forward. It's that forward movement that you need to try to get on the treadmill, if you can. I'll be trying to find a way myself. Inclines may be the way to do it.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Be prepared to back off in distance and time running when you transition outdoors. It's different for everyone and for me it was like going back to Week 4. I could run roughly 5-8 minutes outdoors before needing to take a walk break. It was deflating, to say the least. BUT it goes away and running outdoors is amazing.

It was the same for me when the hot summer weather hit. It's any change, really.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would also add that it's helpful to sign up for a 5k. Make the commitment, pay the money. Invest in it. I started the program in early August and signed up for the 5k I ran last weekend.

I don't think I would have finished C25k if I didn't have a race to run at the end. I would have come up with excuses. But setting the goal of running the 5k kept me in the game. I finished the program a few weeks ago and was able to run three miles three times before the race. I felt completely prepared and actually had a new PR for the race.

Keep checking in here - you've got this!!!!
  • lhawke316
    Options
    well I've completed the first week of C25K on Wednesday... I think I should have spaced it out to every other day.
    however I also feel that if I stop for a day I wont get back on the horse and I'll end up with excuses to start back up again the next day.
    Thanks for all your suggestions and feeback everyone! feel free to add me on here! can always use more tips/tricks from those more experienced than me.

I've been doing 5K's since 2008/ when I was 130 lbs lighter was the only time that I ever did a 5K in 45 minutes.... and that was my first 5k in 08. Since then...My times have drastically increased. I find that my biggest issue that I'm facing is when I start getting tired usually after mile 2- 2 1/12 ( when I'm jogging outside) I have a tendency to stop and walk more often than not after that point.... usually it's because my legs feel like their on fire and I feel like my left foot flaps/ I feel like i look like i'm marching...Does anyone else get pain on the front of their legs where it feels like you have miniscule amounts of movement/ its difficult to flex the foot up and down if that makes sense...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's called shin splints and it's common in new runners. You need to start doing this every other day. Make it into a habit. Your runners muscles are built on your rest days.
  • lhawke316
    Options
    Thanks! I will start doing them every other day, any tips for what I can do on my rest days?