Healthy Make-Ahead Freeze-Able Breakfast Burritos

Options
There are several different recipes out there for these; I used tips/measurements/ingredients from all to come up with what works for me. They freeze and re-heat very well. Since I am a planner, I have gotten to the point where I make a month’s supply but this is for 16 since the tortillas I get come in packs of 8. Calories may vary a little because of brands used but I calculated right around 300/each:

16 medium whole wheat tortillas
4 cups egg whites, (I used egg beaters all natural hundred percent egg whites) ,
8 ounce bag of 2 percent milk reduced fat cheddar cheese and
2- 9.6 ounce bags Jimmy Dean pre-cooked hearty turkey sausage crumbles.

Scramble egg whites, assemble tortillas with egg sausage and cheese, fold in the ends and roll the tortillas. Wrap in parchment paper and then in foil and store in large freezer bags in the freezer. When ready to use, remove one burrito from all wrapping and rewrap with paper towel. Microwave for 1.5-2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. I did 1.5 minutes and it was thoroughly heated. In fact, I would recommend letting it cool for a minute or two. Delicious and filling!

Just a note - I did try a batch of these with turkey bacon I had cooked - they were okay but I was surprised because I preferred the sausage. I think in some of them the turkey bacon just wasn’t as good after it had been frozen. I also played around with the cheeses - did some with swiss (which were AWESOME - love swiss) and some with pepperjack (also really good); the challenge with that is it is hard to find 2% in cheeses other than cheddar.

Replies

• DLH45
    DLH45 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make these this weekend! Thanks for the recipe!
  • AndorZensko
    AndorZensko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking that I need to do some of these ahead of time and put in the freezer so I don't have to do it every morning. Now you are making me think about it again, thanks for sharing what worked for you and what you didn't care for as much, that helps.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. Have you tried adding veggies when you scramble the eggs like onion and peppers?
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. Going to do this too. Thanks for sharing! :smile:
  • Nease269
    Nease269 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea, I like to eat breakfast burritos almost every morning. I decided to do a trial run because I wasn't sure how they would reheat. I made up 4 burritos using some leftover peppers and onions, about 6 eggs and 4 tortillas. I wrapped them in saran wrap and stuck them in the freezer.

To reheat, I just took them out of the plastic wrap, rolled them up in a paper towel and nuked them for 45 secs on 50% power, they turned out AWESOME!!!

I guess I need to make some more of these this weekend :smile:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this idea! I spent about a hour and a half making these the other day. I ended up making 17 burritos with 13 eggs, a tube of reduced fat sausage, an onion, 2 green peppers, 2 red peppers and some cheese. Turned out perfect!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I am going to try these! Sounds delish!
  • cutieryan
    cutieryan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I made these on friday for a work day breakfast... This morning I only managed to eat half of one before I got carried away with work but it kept me full for 3 hours- no easy feat as I'm ALWAYS hungry in the morning. Thanks for sharing!!
  • ageorgetx
    ageorgetx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • flyingchipmunkjiji
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe! Sounds yummy :9
  • hillarysheets
    hillarysheets Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • annemb989
    annemb989 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you for your reply/experiment! I think I will have to try this! I think I will make some to put in my home Freezer and some to put into my Work place Freezer because some days I hit the road before I can make my morning breakfast and I LOVE breakfast! So by time I get to my office I'm starving! If I had some in the freezer to pop in and eat- I think that would help both calorie intake AND financially! Great idea's keep them coming!
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,264 Member
    Options
    Bump...thanks for sharing!
  • Kolmi01
    Kolmi01 Posts: 46
    Options
    Bump
  • maguariento
    maguariento Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cross-posted from my entry under "200-250 calorie [Meal] Recipes":

Breakfast Burritos - make ahead

Makes 16 Burritos

8 Large eggs
    1 c Egg substitute or egg whites
    1/4 c Nonfat milk (75g)
    1/2 bag (~380g) Frozen Potatoes O'Brien
    4 oz. Lean boneless ham
    1 1/4 c 2% Milk Reduced Fat Mexican Four Cheese Blend
    16 Low Carb/HIgh Fiber Whole Wheat Tortillas, Large - La Tortilla Factory (Costco)
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Waxed paper

Whisk together the eggs, egg substitute, and milk. Add salt & pepper to taste. Cook in a non-stick pan over medium/low heat until well done. Cool completely.

Place potatoes in a covered, microwave safe dish. Add about a tablespoon of water and salt and pepper to taste. Microwave until fully cooked, about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.

Dice the ham very fine.

Lay the tortillas out on your counter/table/etc. Add a spoonful each of the eggs and potatoes. Sprinkle with a bit of diced ham and cheese (use very little cheese). Roll them up, then roll in waxed paper. Chill in the fridge before transferring to the freezer (your freezer will thank you by not getting all frosty!).

I pull one out the night before and pop in the fridge. In the morning, unwrap from the waxed paper and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave 2 minutes on 50-60% power, turning it over half way through cooking.

178 cals
    23g carb
    8g fat
    17g protein
    13g fiber
    504mg sodium (if you don't add any salt)
    1g sugar

The trick here is the tortillas... they are only 80 cals each with 8g protein and 12g fiber - amazing!!! I find them at Costco in Southern California; I hope you can find them, too!
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love making these fresh and looking forward to trying to freeze them to make the weekdays easier.
  • SweetGamer17
    SweetGamer17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipe for my breakfast burritos:

-12 medium eggs, scrambled
    -3 bell peppers, diced (colors of your chosing)
    -1 cup diced onion
    -12 La Tortilla Factory Smart and Balanced 100 calorie Whole Wheat soft shells
    -8 oz chicken sausage, casings removed if using links
    -6 oz Cabot 75% reduced fat cheddar
    -1 cup of black beans rinsed
    -Oil spray

1. In a non-stick pan, saute the onions and peppers over medium-low heat until onions are slightly carmalized and peppers tender. Tranfer into a large bowl and set aside.

2. In the same non-stick pan, brown the sausage until well done. Drain sausage (do not wipe out pan) and then transfer into the bowl with the peppers and onions.

3. In that same pan, cook the eggs to desired doneness and then transfer to the same large bowl. Pour in the cup of beans. Mix the items together.

4. Place a tortilla shell down on a sheet of parchment paper. Place 1/3 cup of the egg mixture onto the tortilla shell, and top with 1/2 oz of cheese (about 14 grams). Then fold the burrito and then wrap in the parchment paper. Then wrap that in sheet of aluminum foil. Repeat process with 11 remaining burritos. Place all burritoes into gallon sized resealable plastic bags and freeze. Good for up to 2 months.

5. When ready to eat, remove aluminum foil and microwave for about 2 minutes.

Stats:
    Calories: 287
    Carbs: 33g
    Fat: 10g
    Protein:20g
    Fiber: 12g
  • gngracie
    gngracie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love breakfast burritos and will have to try these. Thanks for sharing.
  • cabrams3
    cabrams3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I am always hurried in the mornings. This sounds great for me on the go. Thank you.