Introduce yourself!

Options
13»

Replies

• sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I joined this group a while ago but haven't posted yet. I am 37, at my goal weight and now working on body composition and strength. This type of weight training is the next logical step for me.

I am FINALLY starting All Pro today. I have been hesitant to do it on my own for a number of reasons so I am meeting with a trainer this morning to help me with form, etc.

:happy:

Welcome, welcome! Good idea to meet with a trainer - I often wish I had done that. I think it would have helped me with form and details of the exercises. Hope all goes well today and enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We did my 5 rep max for Squat, DL and OHP. I think I can plug that into the little calculator to get my 10 rep max. It was pretty good for a first day!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone. :)
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I joined this group a while ago but haven't posted yet. I am 37, at my goal weight and now working on body composition and strength. This type of weight training is the next logical step for me.

I am FINALLY starting All Pro today. I have been hesitant to do it on my own for a number of reasons so I am meeting with a trainer this morning to help me with form, etc.

:happy:

Nice to see you on here!!!
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hello.

My name is Trista. I found this group through karindiane, I was looking for a beginner's weight training program and she recommended this. I'm going to do my 10RM today. I have to admit I am extremely nervous about starting a strength training program as the most I've done are bicep curls lol. I do tend to do quite a bit of cardio and think I will have to drop some as this program seems to call for very little.

I'm also a little nervous about being the big girl trying to lift weights at my gym. Time to put on my big girl pants and just do it. I'll check bk in and let everyone know how it goes!
  • claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :Welcome Trista, fellow 'Big Girl' here and I can empahize with your nervousness because that was where I was when I started and now I'm about to start my 4th cycle. Believe me when I say if you can go to the gym and figure your 10RM every session afterwards will get "easier" relatively speaking of course and pretty soon you won't care anymore...

Good luck and let us know how it goes :flowerforyou:
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Welcome bpink, Trista.

bpink - excellent idea to get a trainer in the beginning. once you get your form fixed you'll feel much better about adding more weight. I wish I had done that too instead of poring over video after video on the bodybuilding.com forum!

Trista, you may feel odd in the beginning but trust me, that'll soon pass and you'll start enjoying the weights and enjoying how it changes your body.
  • sun_fish
    Options
    Hi Trista! So glad you made it over here! I hope all went well yesterday with finding your 10RM. I admire your commitment to doing this even though you are nervous. One thing I have found (and it is echoed by many on MFP) is that lifting makes you feel more confident. Hang in there and in no time you will be there too!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Hi bpink and Trista! Welcome to the party! :drinker:

Trista, I echo what karindiane said: once you start discovering your strength, it's amazing how quickly you start feeling like a BAMF! You'll be slinging those big-girl weights around the gym in no time!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the fun Trista! :flowerforyou:
  • christianteach
    Options
    Welcome Trista! I'm so glad you decided to join us!!! Keep us posted on your progress.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

My name is Sandra and I was referred here by one of your group members! I'm glad I was. I have been looking for a program and this one seems perfect for me.

I have 40-50 pounds to lose and while my food is in a really good place right now I need to get going on strength training. I also do yoga so I need how to figure out how to fit that into this routine because my yoga practice is incredibly important to me. I also do some cardio but that is just a couple times a week. My diet is my biggest focus and now this.

I am also doing 5:2 IF and I really love it.

I look forward to getting to know you as we do this together! Feel free to friend me!

Sandra
  • christianteach
    Options
    Welcome Sandra! I'm glad you decided to join us!
  • sun_fish
    Options
    Hey everyone,

My name is Sandra and I was referred here by one of your group members! I'm glad I was. I have been looking for a program and this one seems perfect for me.

I have 40-50 pounds to lose and while my food is in a really good place right now I need to get going on strength training. I also do yoga so I need how to figure out how to fit that into this routine because my yoga practice is incredibly important to me. I also do some cardio but that is just a couple times a week. My diet is my biggest focus and now this.

I am also doing 5:2 IF and I really love it.

I look forward to getting to know you as we do this together! Feel free to friend me!

Sandra

Hi Sandra! Welcome, welcome, glad you're joining us. I am on my 3rd cycle of All Pro, and also doing yoga. I lift in the late afternoon or evening, and do my yoga practice on the morning of my lift days. I only do about 30-45 minutes. I would love to do a longer practice but that's all I have time for. I was taking a class on the weekend that was about 1 hour 15 minutes, but not currently doing that. I think you can definitely fit it in! I don't do much cardio, I ride an exercise bike twice a week for 30 minutes, and an easy walk or hike once or twice a week.

I saw your post on ETP - I think you'll get great advice there. I have learned so much from reading their posts. Good luck!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Sandra!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hey all, Dani here. Some of you may know me from the SL5x5 group. I started lifting in March of this year after purchasing a used Olympic set with a bench and squat rack. I started out with Starting Strength but ran into a wall fairly quickly because my core couldn't keep up. Then I switched to AllPro's but when I got to 2x11 I threw in the towel because those were way too many reps! Never mind 12! Then I did 5x5 for a while, ran into a wall again due to a weak core, and then scaled back to twice a week with a 3x8 with going up in weight pretty slowly, which for some reason my body liked much better, and my core is slooowly getting there. However, I really do miss lifting 3x/weekly, so I'm starting a modified AllPro's where I plan on going from 2x5 to 2x9 rather than from 2x8 to 2x12. Not planning on doing body building anyway, just trying to stick with barbells because I love being stronger! I did like the variety of lifts in AllPro's, but found the work load rather taxing and leading to burnout, so scaling things back a bit should work just fine for me.

I got about 20 pounds or so to lose (eventually :laugh:), but really my goal is to stick with strength training for the long haul because at 46 years of age, I'm not getting any younger, so now is the time to lay that foundation for physical strength and independence as I get on in years. I adore the fact that I got a butt lift from all that heavy squatting, and will definitely stick with it! :bigsmile:

I also do yoga regularly (I have a yoga routine that I designed to do right before lifting that helps get me stretched through properly and into lifting mode), and will hop on our elliptical or go for a walk or a bike ride when I want to get a bit of cardio in.

That's about it. Looking forward to doing a bit of posting here and interacting with you fine folks, and am excited about the new routine I put together. I did a practice run last Friday and it felt fabulous. So ... onward! :drinker:
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new folks. Good to see a few new faces around. :)
  • sun_fish
    Options
    I also do yoga regularly (I have a yoga routine that I designed to do right before lifting that helps get me stretched through properly and into lifting mode), and will hop on our elliptical or go for a walk or a bike ride when I want to get a bit of cardio in.

Welcome - good to see you here Dani! I think it's great you have found a modification that works for you. It's all about finding something we can stick with, right?

I am curious about your yoga warm-up prior to lifting. I was doing 10 minutes of sun salutes to warm up, but I guess just got bored with that. Would you share what you do?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I am curious about your yoga warm-up prior to lifting. I was doing 10 minutes of sun salutes to warm up, but I guess just got bored with that. Would you share what you do?

Sure. I use an app called Simply Yoga (:heart::heart: :heart: that app!) and put together a program that involves these poses:
    1. Mountain pose
    2. Deep forward bend
    3. Eagle pose (helps with balance, focus and ankle strengthening)
    4. Couple sun salutations
    5. Wide leg forward bend & twist
    6. Cat pose
    7. Sphinx pose (helps with spinal erectors)
    8. Child's pose
    9. Gate pose
    10. Bridge pose

I do each of these anywhere between 30 and 60 seconds (things like Eagle and Gate would be 30 seconds per side).

And depending on the mood maybe pigeon pose or happy baby or whatever tacked on the end, depending on tight spots. This routine and has served me pretty well for the past 6 or so months that I've been doing it, and I never get bored of it. Gets me warmed up and stretched out enough to lift with no trouble at all. Hope that helps. Doing nothing but sun salutes for 10 minutes would bore me too. :)
  • sun_fish
    Options
    Thanks Dani - that looks like a great warm up. I'll give it a try tomorrow!