Barbell Girl's Bulking Journal

Options

Replies

• maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You're looking fantastic! Keep up the good work!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm going to cry. I got on the scale today and it said 113 pounds. I have a second scale that is always within 1/2 pound and it said 113.5. I started October 1 at 112.5. I even bumped my calories up to 2100 last week. I had 6 ounces of red meat yesterday, and woke up losing a pound. This is so frustrating. I have an email into my trainer. I'm starting to wonder if I'm one of those 'hard gainers'?

I know our bodies like homeostasis, and my weight has been consistently at 112.5 lbs since I started in May, but all these extra calories and weight lifting and I'm not gaining like I should be. I didn't do any cardio this week either. I don't want to start taking creatine again because frankly, I think that just helps you retain water in your muscles. :noway:
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I really don't know anything- but I'm wondering if there is any possibility that you've done some unintential recomping? Meaning, is it possibile that you have gained a bit of muscle, but have lost some fat? Or..as you say..you're just a hard gainer and have to shovel in some more food :0.

Sorry you are frustrated...
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    I really don't know anything- but I'm wondering if there is any possibility that you've done some unintential recomping? Meaning, is it possibile that you have gained a bit of muscle, but have lost some fat? Or..as you say..you're just a hard gainer and have to shovel in some more food :0.

Sorry you are frustrated...

Well my trainer just emailed me back and we are going to do a few things different with my training but leave my calories alone. He thinks I might indeed be a hard gainer, but also reminded me building takes a lot longer than tearing down, and he also told me to stop weighing myself and just focus on getting stronger.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Well, I don't have an answer for you cuz I'm new to bulking myself, but your pictures look great! I can really see an increase in your shoulder definition. You're looking awesome, keep up the good work :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm going to cry. I got on the scale today and it said 113 pounds. I have a second scale that is always within 1/2 pound and it said 113.5. I started October 1 at 112.5. I even bumped my calories up to 2100 last week. I had 6 ounces of red meat yesterday, and woke up losing a pound. This is so frustrating. I have an email into my trainer. I'm starting to wonder if I'm one of those 'hard gainers'?

I know our bodies like homeostasis, and my weight has been consistently at 112.5 lbs since I started in May, but all these extra calories and weight lifting and I'm not gaining like I should be. I didn't do any cardio this week either. I don't want to start taking creatine again because frankly, I think that just helps you retain water in your muscles. :noway:

Don't cry- this process is the same as loss- it has ups and downs. That's why it takes so long- and why you go with a slow steady gain.

I would up to 500 calories- and if you haven't already cut out the cardio. Seriously- unless you MUST do it for your mental health- cut it out- or just do it once or twice a week bare minimum- and pick up your favorite ben and jerries (I'm personally addicted to Turkey Hill Moosetracks)- and go to town.

Creatine isn't the devil- don't take it if you don't want to but it might help. (I'm a firm believer working harder and dialing diet in rather than supplementing- but it's studied at nauseum and it might help.)

Hugs. Keep at it- it's a slow process- you know it- so don't fret. It'll come!
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Well my trainer just emailed me back and we are going to do a few things different with my training but leave my calories alone. He thinks I might indeed be a hard gainer, but also reminded me building takes a lot longer than tearing down, and he also told me to stop weighing myself and just focus on getting stronger.
    [/quote]

I agree with your trainer. Have your lifts gone up? I think the fact that all your measurements went up except waist is also a really good sign.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    My lifts have been okay, not progressing as much as I'd like though. So here's what I'm going to do, I'm increasing my daily calories to 2400 and my cheat meal days will be around 2800. I'm taking this month off from creatine and not doing any cardio at all, I'm going to show these muscles and my body who the boss is and I will gain and they will grow.

My trainer I think is hoping I'll so a clean bulk but at some point I still have to bulk and that's not happening. So I'm going to try this, if I can't gain with this approach then I'm definitely going to cry. I am going to indulge a little more, time for some paleo friendly treats! ????????????
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    November has been spent staying off the scale trying to hit calorie goals better. I was pretty devastated when I got on the scale on November 3rd weighing 113 pounds when I weighed 114 on October 28. My pre-bulking weight was 112.5 pounds.

I reviewed my calories intake for October and I averaged 2007 calories a day, my goal was 2000. Because I didn't gain at the 2 pounds a month rate, I increased my calorie goal to 2100 on October 28. So far this month my daily average is 2188. I've been staying off the scale but this Tuesday I will weigh myself as well as get my body fat measured by a trainer using the seven point caliper method. I'll also take pictures and measurements. I'll take measurements again after Thanksgiving. I'm hoping that I've gained weight without my body fat percentage increasing too much. I didn't do the caliper test before I started bulking so I don't know exactly where I was but I'm guessing I was around 18-19% body fat.

My lifts have been going great this month as well. I'm doing zero cardio, none at all. I sort of miss it and I feel a little fluffier without it, but that's okay.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Sounds like all is going well, looking forward to the update! :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful! Looking forward to hearing your results!
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your lifts! Great feeling!
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    November 30, 2013 Update

I averaged 2170 calories a day and did no cardio after November 3rd. On 11/27/13 I weighed 114.5 (an increase of only ½ pound) but on November 30, 2013 I weighed 115 pounds for an increase of one pound for the month.

My measurements are essentially the same, and I had my body fat tested again using the seven point caliper method and it yielded 19.25% which is very close to the 19.4% my handheld Omron read that same day.

I’ve decided not to track my calories for a few weeks to see if I can gain some weight although I fear I’ll under eat rather than over eat so I’ll be monitoring my weight daily. Here are the pictures taken at the end of the month.

For December, I’m going to add back in a little cardio in the hopes that it stimulates my appetite in the absence of tracking, and I’m also adding creatine back in.

MVJLVdb.jpg

ctF1o2q.jpg

Arms
    vFl8ry6.jpg

Traps
    buiJmwD.jpg

Booty
    lqUs6Vj.jpg

With clothes on
    DzkyW4L.jpg
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You look gorgeous! Progress is great!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Great job! Looking wonderful!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Sounds, and looks, like it's going great!
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    :love: :love:
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Thank you ladies, I wish I could make better progress with the weight gain. I don't know if it's being an ectomorph, my age, are the combination of the two that's making it so difficult, but I'm in this for the long haul. I've come to realize that I may be eating at a surplus for the next 12-18 months to get where I need to be, and that's okay. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You're looking great! 1 lb per month is a perfect gain, IMO.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I hear that. I'm going to start a new program on Saturday and will probably use that to bulk another 4-6 months. Initial plan was 3-4 months, so this puts me at 6-8 total (at least)!