First for me :(

Options
Well out of no where today I'm having lunch, chicken fajita meat with refried beans. I've had several times before, but this time I guess I didn't chew it well enough. Sure thought I did, but bam, it was stuck right under my chest bone it felt like. I burped over and over thinking that would help. It HURT!! I tried sipping some water thinking it would go down. Didn't help and may even made it worse except for the fact that I think it helped me to throw it up. Wow, sure lost my appetite. Still feels a little sore, but at least I can sit down. I've never had that and I think I'll go back to soft foods for a while again. :(

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm still shocked that you are eating food so early after surgery. I was told my pouch wasn't healed enough for that. Sorry that this happened to you. I still, at one year and a month out have never had anything like this happen. I chew everything, make my meals last at least 20 minutes no matter how small they are and NEVER drink with them. I hope you don't have a lot of pain. :(
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this, but its how I've been learning too. It is so counter-intuitive that a sip of water doesn't help... but it just packs it tighter. Sometimes stretching my arm up over my head and walking around helps to unlodge something that gets stuck. Sometimes nothing helps but for the offender to come up and out. For me learning to slow way down is the hardest lesson. Take care my friend, you're still on the right track!
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much. It is definitely a learning curve. And it is for sure an experience I do not want to relive. It's funny, we went to a wedding last night and I was worried I might have problems with what they served and it went perfect. They did have a yummy salad that looked great! As my son said, looked too healthy....lol My husband can't eat salad, because it tears his stomach up, so none of the 3 of us ate it. What a waste. The meal though was a small grilled chicken breast and small steak, asparagus and potatoes. I ate half of the chicken and 1 strip of the asparagus. Would you believe that was the first time I've ever had asparagus? They were both great and soooo thankful I didn't have that episode there!! I skipped the cake entirely. My son said he wanted to always go out and eat with us from now now on. (He took my steak...lol)

Well live and learn, and that was truly a learning experience.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Even after 3 years out, this can happen to me occasionally
    It happens most often when I eat really hot foods. I think I tend to forget to chew enough when food temp is hot. Cold protein is still my first choice

Some meat like pork and beef roast are always uncomfortable ? Too dry?

The only egg I really enjoy is poached. Fried or scrambled makes the protein too rubbery

Fish always works when cooked without fat.

Who ever mentioned the lengthy of time to eat needs to be 20-30 min is spot on. Food eaten too quickly always feels ugly or need to come back up. At least my hubby does not panic if I disappear at a restaurant after eating.

Take it easy friend, your surgery is not far behind you Like the tortoise, patience gets you there in comfort and style
  • jostamo
    jostamo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Glad you made it through! I'm 10 weeks out, and have had this happen 3 times :( Dry protein is a big no-no for me.. I also have to remember to chew, chew , chew. I had some salmon get stuck recently (it was dry/overcooked) and after an hour of pain/distress, I finally threw up.. I didn't eat again that day.. It's all a lesson!
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    It definitely took some getting used to realize that a sip of water does not help. When something feels stuck, its just natural instinct to try and wash it down. I'm 11 months out and still have moments where I've taken one bite too many or have eaten the wrong thing for my pouch that day and up everything comes. Personally, I'd rather just get rid of the offending food rather than struggle to keep it down.
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the good info!! Definitely learned to not drink water to push it down! It worked prior surgery, so just thought it would after. Wrong!! Although I think it helped getting it to come up, and soooooo glad of that. I also think the dryness had something to do with it too, but I had ate it before, so not sure why this time mattered. Let's just say it will be a LONG while before trying chicken meat again, unless it canned and mixed with LF mayo. I know I still need to slow down and can understand hot foods avoiding the chewing. I had cottage cheese for lonch and still ate quicker than I should have, but thankfully no problems.

Lessons and patience are 2 words I need to remember. :)