Favorite on the road snack?

Options
Wilhellmina
Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
When we got to travel here, we are in the car for hours and I need to take something with me to eat and drink, but up till now I have been taking low carb bars, which got quite an amount of carbs anyway (lowest I found here was 16 gr. a bar). Too much for my comfert + they are extremely expensive.

Does any of you know a better option, preferable homemade and not too messy in the car?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof Coffee. I always travel with this. Works great for car and flights.

http://imgur.com/a/YYLwF

Otherwise, almonds, dark chocolate, and pre-cooked bacon are my go-to items.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I often fly with Blue Diamond almonds. They are available in a multipack container, so I just leave them in the plane. I especially appreciate the single serving sizes. They are mostly fiber, so their net carb value is very low. A single serving pack is 100 calories, with one net carb. I used to keep candy on board, not anymore. I typically don't fly with a lot to drink since most Cessnas and no Mooney aircraft have lavatories aboard, so it's more like a (fast) car in that regard.

I'm particularly fond of the soy and wasabi flavor, though they offer salted, nothing added ("natural"), dark cocholate, sea salt, etc...

http://bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navid=460
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    I like the pre-packed cashews from Costco and peeled, boiled eggs in a ziploc. Filling and low-carb friendly!
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Ow bullet proof coffee I can give a try. I hope it works with bambu as well, because I can't have cafeine. Nuts are off my list, food intolerances and I do not well on them, but how could I have forgotten the bacon and dark chocolate!
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Ow bullet proof coffee I can give a try. I hope it works with bambu as well, because I can't have cafeine. Nuts are off my list, food intolerances and I do not well on them, but how could I have forgotten the bacon and dark chocolate!

Assuming that bambu is decaf coffee, it should be fine. If bambu is something else, then it could be iffy.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Bambu is an alternative coffee made from chicory, figs, wheat, malted barley, acorns, from dr. Vogel. It doesn't contain any cafeine, because I bounce in every direction except the right one when I get that stuff, panic attacks even. I tried this morning and it tasted quite well! It does contain 2 gr of carbs, but I only take one cup a day anyway.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Bambu is an alternative coffee made from chicory, figs, wheat, malted barley, acorns, from dr. Vogel. It doesn't contain any cafeine, because I bounce in every direction except the right one when I get that stuff, panic attacks even. I tried this morning and it tasted quite well! It does contain 2 gr of carbs, but I only take one cup a day anyway.

I was about to reply that it sounds weird - then I remembered that I drink coffee with butter in it, so who the hell am I to judge! :bigsmile:
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Lol Kiramaniac. I guess you have to get used to it. Drinking it black is so so, but with a pinch of cream in it it's like drinking coffee with cream. I used to drink a ****load of coffee before, but all of a sudden I couldn't have it no more: shaking, anxiety, panic attacks, can't sit still for a moment, heavy feeling on the chest, etc... I tried decaf, but that didn't became me too well either. Next to that to extract the cafeine from the coffee has some nasty elements, so I guess this was the best alternative.
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was about to reply that it sounds weird - then I remembered that I drink coffee with butter in it, so who the hell am I to judge! :bigsmile:

NOW THAT'S FUNNY RIGHT THERE !!!
    :laugh:
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Are you ok with gluten (malted barley)?
  • gladpants
    Options
    Water. I travel on the road with water and make sure I stay hydrated while I drive. I driver for 2-4 hours most days and eat before I get on the road. I'm never hungry but I do have to stop for pee breaks more often.