Call of Duty: Ghosts

Options
2»

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I havne't decided if I'll be getting it or waiting to see if I get a PS4/XBox One and get it on there. I'm torn between sticking with PS or switching to XBox.

I mainly only play S&D though. For respawn gametypes the killstreaks and spawn camping ruin it for me. And I'm a sucker for single life round based objective gameplay.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here...

BF4 > CoD
  • ryry_
    Options
    I'm passing on this series from now on, every Call Of Duty has gotten worse since COD 4. I bought the last 4 because my friends were talking so highly of it and I ended up returning them and trading them in within a week...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think I got into the series late, so that's why I'm still all about it. I hear a lot of people saying the same thing as you though. I just hope the new one is good :)

I still play COD 4 with friends, it sucks because of the cheating though.

I hear everyone talk about how great it is, but that's the one Call of Duty game I haven't played haha. I didn't really get to play World at War that much either. I have it, but it's really hacked from what I've heard, so I haven't been on much. Maybe I'll have to try out COD 4 :)

It's not that COD4 was the "best" per se, more that it was the last one to give the game any significant new features/upgrades to gameplay. Every one since then, including Ghosts, is built on the same gaming engine and all they really did was make new maps and rebalance overpowered weapons. Nothing about the games have changed since then. They haven't improved in graphic quality, the gameplay is the EXACT same, the weapons list is mostly the same, pretty much everything is the same. It's like they're literally just re-releasing the same game with new added maps and some balance changes made to weapons. And the only reason to even buy the new one is because everybody else does, so you lose people to play with if you don't, too.

MW3 was the one people were most upset with because it made it the most obvious that all they did was literally take MW2 and reskin it. That's why they made BO2 set in the future, they wanted to try to avoid that. Originally there was talk that Ghosts was going to be built on an entirely new game engine, which people were excited about (wow, you mean a COD game that isn't just the same exact game reskinned?) But they ended up going against that.

Anyway, the COD fans who have been around a while grow more impatient with Activision with each release. They want something fresh, something that actually makes REAL updates to the game. And Activision more or less tells them to go **** themselves.

My response to this would be....Be careful what you for.

Anyone here ever play Socom? It was the game that got me into online gaming...Then Socom 2 came out and pretty much improved on everything from Socom 1 and I was in love.

Mid sized maps, Single Life Round Based Objective gameplay focusing on team strategies...It pretty much launched GameBattles.com.

But people wanted new. innovation, new features, etc.

Along comes Socom 3 aka the destruction of Socom. Huge Maps, Vehicles, new gameplay mechanics...The game was basically unrecognizable.

And every game since has been the same. Confrontation captured the essence but it was so terribly built it could not survive.

Socom 4 was even more unrecognizable and now Zipper (developer) is no longer in existence.

I wish Socom 7 was coming out and all they did was reintroduce new maps and features and streamlining of the game. I like that COD knows what they are. My one gripe is they don't carry over the maps to the new games. That would be awesome to have a pool of 50 or so maps to choose from.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm passing on this series from now on, every Call Of Duty has gotten worse since COD 4. I bought the last 4 because my friends were talking so highly of it and I ended up returning them and trading them in within a week...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think I got into the series late, so that's why I'm still all about it. I hear a lot of people saying the same thing as you though. I just hope the new one is good :)

I hear everyone talk about how great it is, but that's the one Call of Duty game I haven't played haha. I didn't really get to play World at War that much either. I have it, but it's really hacked from what I've heard, so I haven't been on much. Maybe I'll have to try out COD 4 :)

It's not that COD4 was the "best" per se, more that it was the last one to give the game any significant new features/upgrades to gameplay. Every one since then, including Ghosts, is built on the same gaming engine and all they really did was make new maps and rebalance overpowered weapons. Nothing about the games have changed since then. They haven't improved in graphic quality, the gameplay is the EXACT same, the weapons list is mostly the same, pretty much everything is the same. It's like they're literally just re-releasing the same game with new added maps and some balance changes made to weapons. And the only reason to even buy the new one is because everybody else does, so you lose people to play with if you don't, too.

MW3 was the one people were most upset with because it made it the most obvious that all they did was literally take MW2 and reskin it. That's why they made BO2 set in the future, they wanted to try to avoid that. Originally there was talk that Ghosts was going to be built on an entirely new game engine, which people were excited about (wow, you mean a COD game that isn't just the same exact game reskinned?) But they ended up going against that.

Anyway, the COD fans who have been around a while grow more impatient with Activision with each release. They want something fresh, something that actually makes REAL updates to the game. And Activision more or less tells them to go **** themselves.

Anyone here ever play Socom? It was the game that got me into online gaming...Then Socom 2 came out and pretty much improved on everything from Socom 1 and I was in love.

Mid sized maps, Single Life Round Based Objective gameplay focusing on team strategies...It pretty much launched GameBattles.com.

Along comes Socom 3 aka the destruction of Socom. Huge Maps, Vehicles, new gameplay mechanics...The game was basically unrecognizable.

And every game since has been the same. Confrontation captured the essence but it was so terribly built it could not survive.

Socom 4 was even more unrecognizable and now Zipper (developer) is no longer in existence.

I wish Socom 7 was coming out and all they did was reintroduce new maps and features and streamlining of the game. I like that COD knows what they are. My one gripe is they don't carry over the maps to the new games. That would be awesome to have a pool of 50 or so maps to choose from.

Then it literally would be just an overpriced DLC map pack.

Look at Battlefield. Each one has kept to the spirit of the game, making gradual improvements every time despite never using the same game engine twice.
  • ryry_
    Options

Look at Battlefield. Each one has kept to the spirit of the game, making gradual improvements every time despite never using the same game engine twice.

IDK...Watched BF4 on Twitch and looked like the same game...Little more destructibility maybe? Nothing scream innovation or anything to me. And thats ok

That is basically what COD is an expansion pack...With a new 6-8 hour campaign and some coop stuff thrown in.

Then they fleece you a little more because they deliberately hold back content so you re up for the map packs through out the year.

Don't get me wrong its less than ideal. I just look at it as I paid 60 bucks and got access to multiplayer for 12 months as a result. MMO what am I paying for that timeframe for online access? And its better than a popular title feeling like they need to change and ruin what they have as a result. And until COD is dethroned as the king they have no incenitve to not collect their billions of dollars every year.

Personally, I am waiting for a popular shooter to take out a different model. FTP (possibly tiny monthly fee). In game interactive map advertising (think like those digital billboards but in game) consistent updates and new map content (so i don't lose access to other maps)...In game Team Clan wars and ranks, etc.

It will probably never happen though.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

IDK...Watched BF4 on Twitch and looked like the same game...Little more destructibility maybe? Nothing scream innovation or anything to me. And thats ok

That is basically what COD is an expansion pack...With a new 6-8 hour campaign and some coop stuff thrown in.

Then they fleece you a little more because they deliberately hold back content so you re up for the map packs through out the year.

Don't get me wrong its less than ideal. I just look at it as I paid 60 bucks and got access to multiplayer for 12 months as a result. MMO what am I paying for that timeframe for online access? And its better than a popular title feeling like they need to change and ruin what they have as a result. And until COD is dethroned as the king they have no incenitve to not collect their billions of dollars every year.

Personally, I am waiting for a popular shooter to take out a different model. FTP (possibly tiny monthly fee). In game interactive map advertising (think like those digital billboards but in game) consistent updates and new map content (so i don't lose access to other maps)...In game Team Clan wars and ranks, etc.

It will probably never happen though.

Lately I've primarily been playing Mechwarrior Online. It's semi-P2W. The game is free to play, but their are units you can buy through RMT that give you a slight advantage in terms of gameplay. It is only a slight advantage, though, and in my experience, skill can more than overcome it. I have 4 of those RMT-obtained mechs, and I still perform best with a freely-accessible one.

My biggest (and probably only) gripe with the game is that, as with the Battlefield games, the whole game is based around a gameplay style that only works if you're on some form of VOIP with your teammates, coordinating your efforts. And they did not provide any form of VOIP. So pug games for HORRIBLY and you have to more or less join a clan if you want to enjoy the game.

Also, I have some issues with the community it attracts. The Mechwarrior franchise has a rich history of tabletop gaming, and a lot of people complain about the fact that they didn't keep many things as they were in the tabletop source material. They couldn't due to balance reasons. The tabletop game was turn based. This is not. Balance changes had to be made, and elitist fans of the old school tabletop games need to shut up.
  • oOoNICKIoOo
    oOoNICKIoOo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    So... I finally played Ghosts last night. I think I might have over-hyped it a little bit. I'm happy that I have a new game, but I'm slightly let down. I guess I thought it was going to be better than it is. I'll have to wait and see how it is once they patch it (if they decide to -- which I'm sure they will).

Anyone else have any thoughts?
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    So... I finally played Ghosts last night. I think I might have over-hyped it a little bit. I'm happy that I have a new game, but I'm slightly let down. I guess I thought it was going to be better than it is. I'll have to wait and see how it is once they patch it (if they decide to -- which I'm sure they will).

I haven't played it and I have no intention of it, but can I ask what it was exactly that let you down? Was it the fact that it's more or less the exact same game? Or what?
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you were let down, I played multiplayer last night and jumped right back in. Was happy to see that my lack of playing and older age had not taken away from my twitch reaction skills. Only played a few maps got to lvl 4 on multiplayer and jumped into campaign. I was really enjoying the campaign even 4 hours into it.
  • jstur14
    Options
    I am enjoying the game so far, been playing with friends online and having fun (still getting used to maps and haven't delved too much into guns and customizing my load outs)

Played just a very little bit of the single player so far so haven't experienced enough to make a opinion on that.

If you want to group up on 360 feel free to send me invite xT1m3x
  • oOoNICKIoOo
    oOoNICKIoOo Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I haven't played it and I have no intention of it, but can I ask what it was exactly that let you down? Was it the fact that it's more or less the exact same game? Or what?

The issue with the game (in my opinion) is that the graphics look very similar to the quality in MW3. And, just the overall engine feels the same. The menus aren't as clear as Black Ops 2. I find it difficult to determine who's won a match after being placed back in the lobby. I can look back at the match stats, but it doesn't outright tell you who the winner is. At least not that I've seen, so you really have to pay attention at the very end of each match to find out whether or not your team won.

Apart from the that, the levels are a lot bigger and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of flow to them. It seems like it's just a ton of **** thrown in there for cover and everything is just randomly placed. The only thing that is better about this game is the fact that there's a lot more elevation, so you can go to various levels on the map and be above or below teammates and enemies. Also, with the maps being a lot bigger it's harder to find people, so the game seems a lot slower. It's not a run & gun game anymore. It's slightly more similar to Battlefield 3 in that aspect, but at the same time it's not similar to that game at all.

It seems painfully slow to level up. I played for at least 2-3 hours last night and I unlocked 1 gun. The point system for leveling up and unlocking stuff is weird as well. The new perk system isn't explained very well either. It just seems like a lot of stuff is unclear. I eventually figured out how the perk system worked, but it took me a little bit. I feel like they just tried to change so much and add in so many new elements that the game is a bit unpolished.

Granted... I still have fun playing the game and I'm excited I have something new, but the overall quality of the game isn't what I expected.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

The issue with the game (in my opinion) is that the graphics look very similar to the quality in MW3. And, just the overall engine feels the same. The menus aren't as clear as Black Ops 2. I find it difficult to determine who's won a match after being placed back in the lobby. I can look back at the match stats, but it doesn't outright tell you who the winner is. At least not that I've seen, so you really have to pay attention at the very end of each match to find out whether or not your team won.

Apart from the that, the levels are a lot bigger and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of flow to them. It seems like it's just a ton of **** thrown in there for cover and everything is just randomly placed. The only thing that is better about this game is the fact that there's a lot more elevation, so you can go to various levels on the map and be above or below teammates and enemies. Also, with the maps being a lot bigger it's harder to find people, so the game seems a lot slower. It's not a run & gun game anymore. It's slightly more similar to Battlefield 3 in that aspect, but at the same time it's not similar to that game at all.

It seems painfully slow to level up. I played for at least 2-3 hours last night and I unlocked 1 gun. The point system for leveling up and unlocking stuff is weird as well. The new perk system isn't explained very well either. It just seems like a lot of stuff is unclear. I eventually figured out how the perk system worked, but it took me a little bit. I feel like they just tried to change so much and add in so many new elements that the game is a bit unpolished.

Granted... I still have fun playing the game and I'm excited I have something new, but the overall quality of the game isn't what I expected.

In regards to the graphics and engine being the same, they more or less have been unchanged for years. That's one of the things people have been complaining about. Regarding the actual game engine, nothing has changed since I think COD2. The game is built using the old Quake III engine, which is outdated. And until Activision decides to abandon it in favor of a new engine you won't see any improvements there. The last COD game that included any actual changes that affected gameplay was COD4:MW.

Regarding larger maps with lack of flow, that's something a lot of people complained about with the original BO and with WAW. Activision contracts out to two different developers to develop the COD games. Infinity Ward, who is responsible for the MW series, and Treyarch, who is responsible for the BO series and WAW. Treyarch tends to favor large maps which change the combat style in a way that more emulates other, more tactical first person shooters like Homefront and Battlefield somewhat, while IW likes to keep tight corridors, keeping it to more of an "Arena" style. Because the Battlefield franchise has been "stealing" more and more players from COD ever since BF3 came out, they decided to have Treyarch make the maps even bigger to appeal more to people who favor that style of gameplay.
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Meh. I belong to that whole "COD has sucked since COD4" camp. There aren't enough new, innovative features in each release to justify new games, and most everything that IS included just as easily could--and probably SHOULD--be included as a DLC for the last year's game. But because all the lemmings buy it you pretty much have to in order to maintain access to an active playerbase.

I think that Activision more or less just plays you all for fools. Each game is exactly the same. Compare to the Battlefield games. Each one uses an entirely new engine, has greatly improved graphics, and totally new features while still keeping to what makes the games true to the franchise. Activision just repackages a new graphics front end on the same engine and sells you all the same game you already own.

Its because COD used to be a PC game. Unfortunetely now it is a console game which is then ported to PC. Before they went primarily to console there were graphic improvements with each release. But now that consoles are limited to what they can output, they just release the same damn thing with a couple new perks. Unless a new console comes out...

Now with the new consoles coming out it looks like they added a few things to the IW engine. IW6 which is used in Ghosts is the MW3 engine with a couple additions. The top things being HDR lighting, Tessellation, better PhysX support (PC), and SubD. Nothing ground breaking though.

Now.... I bought it for the Xbox last night and watched the kids play it for a couple minutes. Looks the same as the previous version graphics wise. Although playing it on a 360 or PS4 will more than likely look a lot better with those new features of IW6 and increased polygon count. Has anyone got it for PC yet and see if it looks any better there? I'm sure it does.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Meh. I belong to that whole "COD has sucked since COD4" camp. There aren't enough new, innovative features in each release to justify new games, and most everything that IS included just as easily could--and probably SHOULD--be included as a DLC for the last year's game. But because all the lemmings buy it you pretty much have to in order to maintain access to an active playerbase.

I think that Activision more or less just plays you all for fools. Each game is exactly the same. Compare to the Battlefield games. Each one uses an entirely new engine, has greatly improved graphics, and totally new features while still keeping to what makes the games true to the franchise. Activision just repackages a new graphics front end on the same engine and sells you all the same game you already own.

Its because COD used to be a PC game. Unfortunetely now it is a console game which is then ported to PC. Before they went primarily to console there were graphic improvements with each release. But now that consoles are limited to what they can output, they just release the same damn thing with a couple new perks. Unless a new console comes out...

Now with the new consoles coming out it looks like they added a few things to the IW engine. IW6 which is used in Ghosts is the MW3 engine with a couple additions. The top things being HDR lighting, Tessellation, better PhysX support (PC), and SubD. Nothing ground breaking though.

Now.... I bought it for the Xbox last night and watched the kids play it for a couple minutes. Looks the same as the previous version graphics wise. Although playing it on a 360 or PS4 will more than likely look a lot better with those new features of IW6 and increased polygon count. Has anyone got it for PC yet and see if it looks any better there? I'm sure it does.

You hit the nail on the head. COD started out as being a PC game and the reason they got lazy about development was because they switched to making primarily for consoles. Damn console players ruining the franchise for us =P
  • KirbyT16
    KirbyT16 Posts: 411
    Options
    I wish I had it right now to play! I have had my PS4 preordered for forever and I preordered my hardened edition of Ghosts for my PS4. I wanted it to say PS4 on the box and I didn't want to just upgrade for the digital copy or whatever, but it sucks because now I have to wait!

*waits*
  • hougt
    hougt Posts: 1,088
    Options
    I quite like it but agree with the lack of flow to the levels. The way you buy weapons is vastly improved so you can rock out the better weapons from the start. I also quite enjoy the alien game (whatever it is called)