November Whole30?

Options

Replies

• redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Does the Whole30 not allow bacon? It's been a while since my last one. I'm not starting today but thinking about next month.
    If it has no sugar or preservatives, than yes. I bought a half big from a local farmer, and their butcher cured the bacon in salt only and smoked in a smokehouse. It is awesome, but it doesn't has a shelf life of normal bacon so it is in my freezer. I know this farmers sells their stuff at the local farmers market, so probably other farmers do that too. Make sure you ask exactly what they use in the process. For example this farmer has smoked hams and bacon cured only in salt, but they use prepackaged spices making breakfast sausage, which does have sugar and even gluten.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I wish I had seen this a few days ago. I'm having trouble these days sitting down to a desktop computer to troll the threads (as I recently changed jobs (YAY ME!!!)) but I think I've already had some meat today with some sulphites but I'll have to check. Maybe I can start a day late? Or I'll just keep trucking with what I'm doing and wait until all the evil holidays are done!
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I wish I had seen this a few days ago. I'm having trouble these days sitting down to a desktop computer to troll the threads (as I recently changed jobs (YAY ME!!!)) but I think I've already had some meat today with some sulphites but I'll have to check. Maybe I can start a day late? Or I'll just keep trucking with what I'm doing and wait until all the evil holidays are done!

You can still do it! I didn't start on oct 1st, so I end on Nov 6th. Start tomorrow! :)
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Day one went really well. Scale is tucked away and I'm still logging but just to make sure I eat enough fat...on my last whole 30 I didn't eat enough of it and I was miserable.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I've got enough kale (my favorite!
    What do you do with kale? I only got it twice in my life, and didn't know what to do with it. I used them in salads, but I didn't like the texture nor the flavour.
    I use mostly baby spinach as my green leafy veggie. Beside spinach my favorite veggies are the nighshades: tomato, peppers, eggplant. I also love eating raw celery, carrots and sugar snap peas. In cooking I use parsnip, kohlrabi and cabbage a lot.
    Cauliflower and broccoli is a hit and miss with me.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    What do you do with kale? I only got it twice in my life, and didn't know what to do with it. I used them in salads, but I didn't like the texture nor the flavour.
    I use mostly baby spinach as my green leafy veggie. Beside spinach my favorite veggies are the nighshades: tomato, peppers, eggplant. I also love eating raw celery, carrots and sugar snap peas. In cooking I use parsnip, kohlrabi and cabbage a lot.
    Kale, washed, chopped and stir-fried in coconut oil or bacon fat, makes a great base for a meal. I like to fry onion and garlic with it, and top it with meat and pour balsamic vinegar over all.
  • Duende60
    Duende60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, pulled pork for breakfast, lunch of salad with grilled chicken, afternoon snack of almonds, and dinner will be another salad with chicken, roasted delicata squash with coconut butter, and probably more nuts.
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like to fry up a slice of bacon, then add a whole bunch of kale (washed, trimmed from the stalk, and torn into manageable bites) and saute it down with the bacon fat.Usually, I'll need to add a little veggie or chicken broth at this point to help steam it. I can eat an entire huge plate of this for dinner. It's delicious!

I also adore kale chips. Yummo!
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    I sucked up the excuses and started Whole30 today!!! I'll finish on December 4th and likely do it again in January after all the Christmas food :/

I weighed in this morning and I will take my measurements when I get home this evening and put the scale and the tape away until it's all over. Here we go :)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,
    I did the Whole 30 this summer, didn't weigh myself or log food the entire time.
    The best things I noticed were "brain fog" went away, better sleep, chronic pain gone, water retention gone.
    Worst things I noticed? massive headache between the 7-11 day achy all over (nope no cold).
    I didn't loose to much weight (don't think I ate enough).

I'm starting the whole 30 today and plan to log my food to make sure I eat enough and get enough fat in my diet.
    Add me if you like.
  • Kaelitr0n
    Options
    I made *delicious* beef stew for dinner tonight. It's snowing for the first time this season tonight, so some serious comfort food was calling. I used rutabaga instead of potato and winged the recipe. Turned out amazing! Day 5, complete :D

28NY176l.png
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    That looks amazing! I'll have to get my ingredients together and make one for myself this weekend with some sweet potato. I can't get rutabaga in Barbados :( But I'm excited to give mine a go. Thanks for the inspiration!! :)
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I made *delicious* beef stew for dinner tonight. It's snowing for the first time this season tonight, so some serious comfort food was calling. I used rutabaga instead of potato and winged the recipe. Turned out amazing! Day 5, complete :D

28NY176l.png

is there a recipe? :) I made some totally yummy chicken soup last night from homemade broth. used turnips instead of potatos and I can't quite jive with the brussel sprout flavor of rutabaga. :wink:
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    How is everybody doing? Yesterday I almost slipped because my preprogrammed oven didn't turn on, and instead of having a nice roasted ribs by the time I got home, I had nothing prepared. My husband had an evening dr appointment, and I had 45 minutes to make dinner and walk the dog alone with 2 small kids who were constantly fighting with each other. Luckily I had homemade larabars , eggplant dip and hardboiled eggs in the fridge, so that was dinner. Once my macadamias get here, I will make more larabars, because somehow the crazy never stop in my house.

Anyway I noticed that in the last 5 days, I slept better and more than I usually do despite the fact that I kept my morning coffee.
    I usually guilty of watching a movie or spend 1-2 hr on the internet prior to sleep, or just my brain keep spinning and need an hr or two in order to able to sleep. Well on whole 30, I go to bed and i am out within 30 minutes. It is kind of strange, because I am not sleepy during the day. This is extremely important to me because my baby wakes me up a few times at night, and and this extra hr of sleep is a miracle.

I also noticed I am eating 2-300 calories more than I used to. Since I am not supposed to count the calories if I want to eat, I just eat. I am still within maintenance, but definitely have less calorie deficit than before.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Day 7 for me and everything is going really well (a part from a tummy bug i had for a few days). This is my second whole 30 and the last time I got to day 7-8 I was miserable, had lots of craving and was ready to give up.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Today is day 4 for me and so far so good. I've also noticed changes in my eating and yes I'm still tracking for my sanity. My carbs are naturally going up but not in a bad way, my sleep too is better and I feel better than I did last week around this time when I was still fighting to go back to strict paleo. My only struggle comes when I'm finding things to eat and I am constantly going back to the same foods because in Barbados there are not quite as many options as in the larger countries, but I'm ok with sticking to my regulars and I'm just excited to see how this all turns out on day 30 :)
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Day 5 - headaches seem to be gone. :) food is getting easier to prepare and remembering not to mindlessly grab something like soy sauce when cooking.
    Work sucks because there is always some kind of junkfood in the breakroom. chocolate chip muffins is the fare of the day today. . :( But I am resisting. :)
  • Kaelitr0n
    Options
    is there a recipe? :) I made some totally yummy chicken soup last night from homemade broth. used turnips instead of potatos and I can't quite jive with the brussel sprout flavor of rutabaga. :wink:

Yes, there is :) I'm contemplating starting a Paleo/Primal food blog, so I wrote everything down and took lots of pictures. For some reason, I feel like I'm not allowed to link it here, so I'll copy-pasta the method :}

Ingredients:
    • 2 medium rutabagas, washed and cubed
    • 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
    • 1 small red onion, chopped
    • 1 small white onion, chopped
    • 4-5 cloves garlic, minced (it’s a lot, but did you know that garlic is wicked good for you?)
    • 1 lb grass-fed beef roast, cubed (hey, leave that fat alone—no trimming)
    • 1 quart organic broth (beef, chicken, veggie—whatever)
    • ½ tbsp organic coconut oil (or olive oil, just use a high quality fat)
    • Salt (I used Himalayan Pink Salt ‘cause it sounds fancy)
    • Cracked black pepper (fresh is always better!)
    • Spices—whatever you like (I used cayenne pepper, coriander, celery seed, and allspice)
    • Water

Method:
    Cube and chop your veggies, as stated (or, y’know, however you want) and put ‘em in a bowl to keep them corralled. All except for the garlic, ‘cause that’s going to go before the rest of the vegetables. Cube your meat at this point, too.

Settle your pot over medium-high heat and melt your coconut oil. Olive oil can be substituted here. Toss in your garlic and your meats, give it a good stir, sprinkle a decent amount of salt over top, and then leave it alone for a while.

Listen to a song. A longish song. Listen to two songs! You want your meat to get a nice sear here. If you don’t leave it alone, it’s not going to do that. 5-7 minutes later, you can touch your meat (or can you go longer? Just don’t burn your meat). Go ahead and turn it over to brown the other side. Give that side another 4-5 minutes.

Now, go ahead and toss in your vegetables. Give ‘em a good stir and toss a bit more salt over top; just don’t over-salt… you can always add salt later, but it’s hard to take it away. Pour in your quart of broth—I had vegetable on-hand. I like organic broths that have no extra additives (it’s surprising how many out there add sugar!). Add water until all your vegetables and meat are covered, just barely.

Crank the heat! Once your soup comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer (this is more like medium-low on my tinker-toy stove) and cover.

Let this bad boy simmer for, oh, about an hour. The longer you let this cook, the more delectable your meat is going to become. I wouldn’t leave it longer than an-hour-and-a-half, though.

Sometime during that hour, give your soup broth a taste and spice it up however you please! Mine didn’t need much help, so I used ½ tsp or less of the spices mentioned in my ingredient list. Wait to add any remaining salt and pepper until the very end—these spices should only be used to liven up the flavors, so let those flavors develop first.

And, SOUP!
  • Kaelitr0n
    Options
    I finished Day 7 yesterday and am feeling wonderful! Days 3 and 4 were pretty miserable... low energy, a general feeling of malaise. I'm not used to eating breakfast, as I'd usually just take a bulletproof coffee and a mid/late morning snack. Since I'm too cheap to put up the cash for ghee for my coffee, I've been going without and experimenting with breakfast. I've discovered that a huge breakfast really works for me! Two eggs and 5 strips of side pork yesterday kept me going strong until lunch time at noon.

I did have on slip up and drank some herbal tea without looking at the ingredient panel. It contained soy lecithin :\ The Whole9 forums said that to take it as a lesson learned (always look at your ingredient panels!) and keep on going with my Whole30. I'd have been really upset if I had to start over completely. It serves as a great reminder, though! Things which may appear harmless often times are not!

I'm a little apprehensive about the weekend. I can't hide from my social life forever and the whole happy hour thing is probably too much temptation for me to resist. I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with my Friday if I can't curl up on the couch with a scary movie and a glass of wine. I miss wine. I *really* miss cheese.

Not weighing has been really tough. I find myself staring longingly at my scale a couple of times each day (I was a 1-2x daily weigher). I'm not going to cheat. I'm going to make it the whole 30 days without weighing!

I am also finding it hard to eat enough calories. I'm eating my three squares each day and usually one snack (a small handful of nuts or an avocado with a sprinkle of salt) and usually squeaking in around 1200 cals each day. As I committed to in the beginning, I'm not using my food log as a way to stay within certain parameters, but rather as a tool to collect data. If I'm hungry, I eat and if I'm not, I don't. My carb intake has also increased... mostly because all they have left at the Farmer's Market is root vegetables, heh. I'm curious to know how that will affect my results.
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    Day 10 for me and I am feeling great! I am 4 weeks post abdominoplasty - and was hoping another Whole 30 would help me regain some energy/strength. I am still very restricted as far as activity goes so I am focusing only on food - and so far so good.

I have noticed a huge reduction in swelling across my abdomen and a significant increase in energy. I am guessing these results are a combination of Whole 30 benefits and a normal part of the recovery process.

Anyway - feeling great and enjoying the journey!