Stuck where?

Options
Ok, this may seem like a dumb question, but after my recent experience with the very painful chicken fajita meat getting stuck, I couldn't answer my sister's question..........just where does it get stuck? In the esophagus? In the pouch? In between? I thought the pain was too high up to be the pouch, but looking at diagrams, I guess it could be stuck trying to get into the pouch. Just curious.

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Stuck going into the pouch, which most likely means you are not chewing enough. Been following your posts for a bit and am concerned that you might be accelerating your transitions to "real food". You might want to go back a stage and focus on soft or pureed foods to help you get through. My mel plan did not reccomend transitioning beyond soft/pureed for 4 weeks then choosing ground meet and flaky fishes along with chooped veggies. Sticking the plan has allowed me to completely avoid these problems and I easily moved to chicken, pork and steak in week 5. Good luck.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Stuck going into the pouch, which most likely means you are not chewing enough. Been following your posts for a bit and am concerned that you might be accelerating your transitions to "real food". You might want to go back a stage and focus on soft or pureed foods to help you get through. My mel plan did not reccomend transitioning beyond soft/pureed for 4 weeks then choosing ground meet and flaky fishes along with chooped veggies. Sticking the plan has allowed me to completely avoid these problems and I easily moved to chicken, pork and steak in week 5. Good luck.

^^^This exactly^^^
    I haven't understood why your doctor/dietitian didn't give you a plan to follow. I have been worried about you regarding this. Hoping things go more smoothly for you!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

^^^This exactly^^^
    I haven't understood why your doctor/dietitian didn't give you a plan to follow. I have been worried about you regarding this. Hoping things go more smoothly for you!

This surprised me too, I am 4 weeks out and I am just transitioning out of pureed food this week into "soft" foods. Maybe taking things more slowly might help?
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I have gone back to soft foods. I thought I had been following my doctor's plan. His are just so much different than yours.
    But looking back, it does say to eats meats "moistened"....I guess I thought I was doing that enough, but apparently not. Thank goodness eggs don't bother me like I've seen it do to others. Switching to a fried egg with the yolk runny, yogurt, refried beans and cottage cheese again for a while. Maybe pureed veg soup with beans? I had that early on thinking it was ok, but then PA said to wait, maybe because she thought it had too many starchy potatoes. Only a little bit of corn I think. I really liked it for the extra fiber. Gonna lay off the tuna and chicken for sure.

Thank you all so much for your comments and concern. So glad to have this place to come to. :)

Debbie
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yes, creamed soups are great. Greek yogurt. I don't know if there is a Kroger near you, but their Greek brand has 16 grams of protein as opposed to the 10-12 for Dannon or Yoplait. However, I LOVE the Dannon Light and Fit Toasted Coconut Vanilla. Tastes just like coconut cream pie.
    As for the eggs, soft scrambled or over easy, mashed with the runny yolk mixed into the white was great at the soft stage. I think you've got this. Just be patient, the real food comes in time and if you wait a bit, it all goes much smoother.
  • DebbysJourney
    Options
    I so wish we had a Kroger, but maybe will check the other store brands, maybe they are similar. As long as the Toasted coconut is just flavoring, not the actual coconut, can't deal with the texture...lol I'm putting more soups on my list too, would really be nice with the cooler weather. Thanks so much for all your suggestions!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You can make any yogurt that you like "super "Greek yogurt by adding unflavored protein powder. Convenience size I can't beat Fage yogurt. For flavored yogurts or smoothies, a bit of extract from spice section works, or does a teaspoon of sugar free jello in your favorite flavor.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are a fish fan but grilled or broiled fish is a great source of protein, tastes great and is easy to eat at this stage. From week 4 onward I have had Stuffed Talapia, Broiled Salmon, Broiled Blow Fish Tails and Thresher Shark. Greek yougurt is a great meal option (I like Dannon Oikos) along with chopped eggs, sweet potatos and sauted spinich (iron & calcium). All foods easy to prepare and consume. Good luck.
  • DebbysJourney
    Options
    Great idea about adding the protein powder to the yogurt, will be trying that for sure. Just had the orange NF Greek yigurt last night. Very good and smooth!

Yes, love fish, only me that does though, so I get the Gorton's frozen fish small fillets. They are very good, low fat, good protein. :)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Right now I am hooked on plain Greek yogurt with PB2 and some vanilla protein powder added in. SO good. I am also hooked on cottage cheese with some hummus added to it. These have been very easy to eat, texture wise and easy on my stomach.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I tried protein powder in yogurt early on and it was yucky. But I'm not a fan of yogurt either. But protein powder in sugar free fat free pudding mix is great, goes down easy, and has lots of protein.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think any pureed soup, including vegetable are good. However, you might consider adding protein powder to it if you go with vegetable. (Just make sure it isn't too hot.)
  • jostamo
    jostamo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Debby-
    Every doctors plan is different.. I have talked to people that are on normal food the first week out, they never do a liquid or pureed stage. Most of them swear that this is why they have less food issues/sensitivities than others. For example, when I moved from puree to real food.. textures threw me off.. I would eat something with too much texture, and would start to gag when it was in my mouth, ending in painful dry heaves, and not being able to eat.. My doc agreed, that this can be a problem when one has been on liquids (even pre-op) and then liquids and purees for several weeks.. It took me a couple weeks to get past this problem, and sometimes I still have issues..
    I think the best advice I was given was to try new foods (regular foods) 1 at a time. For example, I added grilled/baked chicken (adding a little broth for moistness) , this was the only new item I added to my diet for 2 days.. I handled it fine, so then added moist shrimp for a couple days.. Etc.. That way, if something was too much for my stomach, I could pinpoint it and not eat it for a week or so, then re-introduce.
    The truth is, I can eat just about anything without any issue (even at 10 weeks), as LONG as I eat slowly, and chew well, and make sure it is MOIST. if I get lazy, and eat too fast, or eat something dry, it is going to get 'stuck' and it is going to hurt. This seems to have more to do with forgetting the rules and eating quickly, not chewing etc..
    Good luck, You are doing great!!!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Debby-
    Every doctors plan is different.. I have talked to people that are on normal food the first week out, they never do a liquid or pureed stage. Most of them swear that this is why they have less food issues/sensitivities than others. For example, when I moved from puree to real food.. textures threw me off.. I would eat something with too much texture, and would start to gag when it was in my mouth, ending in painful dry heaves, and not being able to eat.. My doc agreed, that this can be a problem when one has been on liquids (even pre-op) and then liquids and purees for several weeks.. It took me a couple weeks to get past this problem, and sometimes I still have issues..
    I think the best advice I was given was to try new foods (regular foods) 1 at a time. For example, I added grilled/baked chicken (adding a little broth for moistness) , this was the only new item I added to my diet for 2 days.. I handled it fine, so then added moist shrimp for a couple days.. Etc.. That way, if something was too much for my stomach, I could pinpoint it and not eat it for a week or so, then re-introduce.
    The truth is, I can eat just about anything without any issue (even at 10 weeks), as LONG as I eat slowly, and chew well, and make sure it is MOIST. if I get lazy, and eat too fast, or eat something dry, it is going to get 'stuck' and it is going to hurt. This seems to have more to do with forgetting the rules and eating quickly, not chewing etc..
    Good luck, You are doing great!!!

Very well said.
  • DebbysJourney
    Options
    Great ideas from everyone!! I've written them down. :) I have to look up and try and find this PB2. I've been hearing more and more about it and I LOVE peanut butter!! Also hummus, never thought of putting it in cottage cheese. I didn't want to eat it plain.
    Honestly i think the problem I had with the chicken was I just didn't wait long enough between bites. Whatever happened, I'm trying to learn from it. I have to concentrate on getting my water in too. It seems it's always something...lol

Thank you all again for taking the time to post and offer suggestions, I really appreciate it! :)

Debbie