Ack Confused!

Options
Rei1988
Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
What taste better Xylitol or Erythritol? I want switch to a more natural sweetener. Stevia is very confusing & I hear it has a weird aftertaste. Help?

Replies

• sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    splenda?

I use stevia powder, its whole foods brand. I don't notice a funky aftertaste with it, but I use it sparingly
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I like erythritol blends. Z sweet is my current preferred - it's a blend of erythritol and stevia.

Xylitol has a higher glycemic index. for those with dogs, it's also toxic to them. Xylitol is supposed to be the best with respect for tooth hygiene. it's a base (most sweeteners are acidic) so it actually helps fight acid erosion of tooth enamel. Bacteria also doesn't grow with xylitol. Xylitol has a slight cooling effect - kind of like a mint effect, but without the mint flavor.

I see some grittiness with erythritol in some recipes - some recipes may need the powdered version. And in higher concentrations, you may also get some of that cooling effect (I noticed it in the keto fudge, but not in cheesecakes and custards). but I don't get any gastric upset with the Z sweet. And the taste, to me, is just like sugar.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-alcohols/

Z sweet is my recommendation.
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What taste better Xylitol or Erythritol? I want switch to a more natural sweetener. Stevia is very confusing & I hear it has a weird aftertaste. Help?
    I use Stevia and love it. I buy the individual packets that are vanilla flavored for my coffee. I have also used regular Stevia to make ice cream.

I can't use Splenda because it gives me a headache!
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Another one I've heard positive things about - which is a blend with erythritol - is Swerve.

And if your familiar with "I Breathe I'm Hungry", she recommends Ideal, which is a blend with Xylitol.

I find the blends are often a good choice. By itself certain sweeteners may have characteristics (stevia and the bitterness; Xylitol with the cooling effect) that when blended can be reduced or even eliminated.
  • Rei1988
    Options
    Yeah I was thinking of using Swerve . Spenda is artificial, it's Dextrose, Maltodextrin & Sucraclose. So I want to avoid it.
  • Rei1988
    Options
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    I've ordered from this site before
    http://www.holdthecarbs.com/sweeteners

Depending on what you use sweeteners for, they have a few good options. The Natural Sweet Drops are a blend of stevia and Monk Fruit Coffee. I like this for coffee but I did not like the taste in baking. I don't recall if I tried their Natural Sweet White product.