LET'S GET STARTED

Options

Replies

• sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I weighed in today after not hitting the scale for two weeks. I am down 2.4 lbs. Not bad, for not always eating healthy, and not always keeping with the exercise schedule. Now I know what I need to do to keep that number moving in the right direction. Hope we are all having a great week.

SW:217 lbs
    CW: 214.6
    GW: 199
    UGW: 164
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone my name is Kelly. This is a great group!! I wouldn't want anything more than to be fit, healthy and get closer to my goal for christmas!! I am new to myfitnesspal and the lingo has me a little confused.. if anyone could fill me in that would be awesome!!!

What does CW SW UGW and GW stand for? I am guessing it has something to do with weight numbers!!

Welcome to MFP and to this Challenge! That was kind of the reasoning behind making an open challenge. A lot of them say "lose x pounds this month" and I have been a part of those and at the end of the month, when I didn't meet the universal goal, I was ready to give up. I wanted everyone to set their own goal, that they felt was attainable, and PUSH each other to reach it! I am so glad you are here and what a great "goal" you have :)
  • HotSouthernMess
    Options
    I weighed in today after not hitting the scale for two weeks. I am down 2.4 lbs. Not bad, for not always eating healthy, and not always keeping with the exercise schedule. Now I know what I need to do to keep that number moving in the right direction. Hope we are all having a great week.

SW:217 lbs
    CW: 214.6
    GW: 199
    UGW: 164

AFNG...congrats!! You will be in Onederland in no time :)
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    SW: 286
    CW: 273
    GW: 248 (By Dec. 25)
    UGW: 140

I got down to about 240 a couple years back but then due to life events I've gained it all back. I workout everyday which ranges from running, walking, strength training and Zumba. I have an app on my phone called GymPact that I recommend if you need motivation and accountability. I kinda sorta depend greatly on the apps I use haha. I eat somewhat healthy for most of the day then blow it in the evening, I'm working on fixing that bad habit now (:

I understand the losing then gaining it all back concept. I lost 58 pounds when I first joined MFP and gained all of it back and then some because "life got in the way". Or, at least that was my excuse! But, you are here now (and congrats on your progress so far). I have the same problem with doing great during the day and then going home and eating whatever I want. So, that is a good thing for us to work on together! Welcome! Happy to have you join us!

Oh yes, and Halloween candy lying around was definitely not helping. Finally got back on path though :D
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    So friends, I need some tough love. Two nights in a row I found myself up eating pop tarts and milk before bed. I don't even really like poptarts and I wasn't even hungry. I've been having a bit of stress surrounding a home renovation project that seems to be going on forever. And last night I was tired and ready for bed but trying to get a couple loads of laundry done before I went to sleep.

What do you do when you catch yourself falling back into old habits like this?
  • kellbellebamf
    kellbellebamf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!! :)

SW 220
    CW 211
    GW 191
    UGW 175
  • kellbellebamf
    Options
    So friends, I need some tough love. Two nights in a row I found myself up eating pop tarts and milk before bed. I don't even really like poptarts and I wasn't even hungry. I've been having a bit of stress surrounding a home renovation project that seems to be going on forever. And last night I was tired and ready for bed but trying to get a couple loads of laundry done before I went to sleep.

When I get those sudden unconscious urges to eat garbage food I try and redirect myself. I really love anything crafty, recently I have taught myself to loom knit.I find that It helps alot to do something with your hands when you get cravings because if you hands are busy then there isn't food going into your mouth. Also crafting is a sort of de-stress for me as well so its a double whammy for me.... no junky food and de-stressing at the same time.
  • kellbellebamf
    Options

Also, another trick I have used a time or two is to brush your teeth when you feel like eating junky things. The toothpaste taste in your mouth makes you less likely to wanna eat in my opinion.

When I get those sudden unconscious urges to eat garbage food I try and redirect myself. I really love anything crafty, recently I have taught myself to loom knit.I find that It helps alot to do something with your hands when you get cravings because if you hands are busy then there isn't food going into your mouth. Also crafting is a sort of de-stress for me as well so its a double whammy for me.... no junky food and de-stressing at the same time.
  • Gus130
    Gus130 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I know that once I start to fall into those habits, they will only get worse. So you have got to get back on track.

I find that when I am very tired, I eat more, as if my body is confusing the tiredness of stress with hunger. If possible, I try to get out of the way of food, like go in the basement. Also, I make sure to put all of the food away in cabinets where I cannot see it. The other day I had some sunflower kernals out and kept on taking small handfuls every time I went past. They have 190 calories in 1/4 cup and in no time I had eaten a cup of them - Yikes. They are now stored in the pantry.

Maybe you can make a deal with yourself that you can have the Pop Tarts tomorrow, if you can hold off today. And then maybe tomorrow you can do the same thing.
  • vahine03
    vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I second that about the Toothpaste. Definitely brush your teeth. It's also an indicator that tells you that you've finished your meal.

When I'm faced with temptation to eat junks that are right in front of me, I usually allow myself to eat it. If my body is craving sugar, I let it have sugar. I just have to make sure I'm in control. Like for example, "I'll have a bite and If I still want more I'll find something else that will satisfy my crave but wouldn't do so much damage." Yesterday my sister brought home a Double Chocoloate Chip muffin. I could smell it and see that it looks really good. To control my mind before it tricks itself that it needs all the muffins in the world, I asked for a chunk. Ate it, swallowed, and felt I definitely wanted more. I walked out the room and into the kitchen to look for whatever we may have to snack on. And i thought, "POPCORN!" Looking for other alternatives help a lot. Anything not so damaging to anything perfectly beneficial to your health.

Other than that, If you feel no pull towards it but just mindless snacking, either drop it and keep yourself busy with other things (like commenting to people here on MFP =)) or drink water. haha Yes, I may be bad at giving advice. =))
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    Thank you! I was definitely bored, stressed and trying keep myself awake. I should have just left the laundry and went to bed. Standing right in front of the pantry waiting for the dryer to finish is a Bad idea.

I'm going to try some of these tips. Keeping the hands busy, brushing my teeth and waiting a while to see if I'm really hungry. Gah, I wouldn't even feel so bad if it was food I actually liked and wanted KWIM?

Okay--back on track! Today has been great so far!
  • tamijones357
    tamijones357 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been having some motivational problems as well. I put a picture of myself on the fridge as a reminder of what I do not want to look like.
  • HotSouthernMess
    Options
    I have been having some motivational problems as well. I put a picture of myself on the fridge as a reminder of what I do not want to look like.

There is a picture of me in my "skinnier days" (pre-pregnancy) and I use it, to remind me of what I CAN look like. :smile:
    Thanks so much!! :)

SW 220
    CW 211
    GW 191
    UGW 175

Welcome, again, Kelly! I see "Onederland" in your near future!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOP WHOOP!
    Thank you! I was definitely bored, stressed and trying keep myself awake. I should have just left the laundry and went to bed. Standing right in front of the pantry waiting for the dryer to finish is a Bad idea.

I'm going to try some of these tips. Keeping the hands busy, brushing my teeth and waiting a while to see if I'm really hungry. Gah, I wouldn't even feel so bad if it was food I actually liked and wanted KWIM?

I know that feeling Gruno! Boredom is what has gotten me off track in the last few weeks. I think the brushing your teeth method is good...I also will chew sugar free gum during the day and drink lots of water. Something about the chewing, keeps my mind elsewhere. Good luck to you :)
  • vahine03
    Options

Wow, I definitely know what you mean. Recently, my boss started selling Filipino food. It's veeeerrrrrry delicious. Pork Adobo, Pork Guissantes, and Chicken Afritada. Every Mon, Wed, and Fridays, we sell these at Lunch and I am ALWAYS being tempted. Filipinos like a LOT of salt in these dishes, especially in their Pork Adobo. Salt and Sugar are on the top list that causes binge eating. For me anyways.
    I mean, when you compare these entree's to health foods, wouldn't we all like to skip the boring and take what's interesting? SO what I did was make my own version of Chicken Afritada. It's basically Chicken soup. It tastes Oh so good! Almost like the real thing. Just the absence of potatoes. From here on out, I'll be tryin to make my own version of my favorite foods. That way, i'm comfortable with what i'm eating.
  • mikeyo30
    Options
    I am back on fitpal been a way for a while going to get back into the swing of things.

Sw- 241
    CW-227
    GW- 202
    UGW-170

When do we post our weekly weights?
  • vahine03
    Options
    So, the question was asked about weigh in days. I weigh in every Wednesday, so tomorrow, I will start a new topic for weigh ins. (This one I thought could be more for introductions and what not). Not everyone weighs in weekly or even bi-weekly so just be sure to check in on this page at least once a week and let us know how things are going...and then check in to weigh whenever you normally would, on the other post. I am so excited that all of you wanted to join this challenge! I am super excited and believe that great things will happen for all of us as we bring 2013 to a close! WOW! Even reading that and thinking that 2013 will be over with in a few short weeks, seems unreal to me. But, ready or not, HERE IT COMES!! :)

So here is what has been decided. Check-ins once a week and share how things are going and weigh in whenever it is that you weigh in.
    Any questions or topics you'd like to post, feel free. =)

Welcome Mikeyo30 =D
  • HotSouthernMess
    Options
    I am back on fitpal been a way for a while going to get back into the swing of things.

Sw- 241
    CW-227
    GW- 202
    UGW-170

When do we post our weekly weights?

I second that welcome! I originally thought that since we all started this week and posted our starting weights, that on Monday, I would start a new "weigh ins" post for everyone to go and check in weekly, bi-weekly, whatever suits them. Good luck to you and congrats on your loss so far!
  • annamtrx
    annamtrx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Anna, and it's actually been exactly a year since I found MyFitnessPal, and last autumn I lost 15 pounds between Halloween and Christmas. But since then? I got off the weight-loss bandwagon. Oh, we hiked five miles every week this summer, camped and biked, but... it's fall. That stuff is over, and it took NO time at all for poundage to creep back on. I need another challenge.

I'm glad your board is open, and that it's a smaller board. Makes things a little more intimate, and it's easier to keep track of the people I'm doing the challenge with! I'm assuming this post is where we give our starting stats?

●☆● ☆● ☆● ☆● ☆● ☆● ☆● ☆●

STARTING STATISTICS
    NAME: aNNa
    HT: 5'9
    CW: 197
    GW: 175

●☆● ☆● ☆● ☆● ☆● ☆● ☆● ☆●

And last time I just wanted to see if it would work. THIS time I'm a little more serious about losing weight and getting down to my mid-baby weight of 175. ((I carried six babies. I know it's NOT realistic to hope to return to pre-preggercy after THAT insanity! Besides, I've hit 40. Isn't that like geriatric or something?)) So... here's to a fantastic fall challenge!
  • mikeyo30
    Options
    Thank you. so I will weigh in on monday then.
  • mikeyo30
    Options
    And I do have a correction on my status.

I want it to reflect what my fitnesspal account has been going by. last time I was on I was 236. but when I stoped I went up to 241.

So I will change it so it matches with my current weight loss tracker.

SW 236
    CW 227
    GW 202
    UGW 170