new to low carb

Thanks for all the great posts! I was using the keto calculator and it recommends 125 g of daily. I'm having a hard time picturing eating this amount. Where do I begin?

Replies

• sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Atkins induction says 20g net, which means you want to come in UNDER or at 20 after you subtract the fiber from the total carb count for the day. So if you have 30g today but 10g of those are fiber carbs then you should count 20g.
  • christinecsaucier
    christinecsaucier Posts: 30 Member
    I understand net carbs, just having a hard time with the fat. I'm a cardiac nurse and fats aren't something I tend to embrace. I see a lot of butter, bacon etc., but healthy fats like avocado, is that more what I should strive for???
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Yes, avocado and nuts and coconut oil
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    I'm not sure that there is agreement on "healthy fats". Certainly transfat are in the "bad" category.

Saturated fat was vilified for many years, and that's been debunked (although, unfortunately, that message has not gotten widespread communication, and you will find many articles online still calking this a "bad fat").

Mono-unsaturated fats are good

Poly-unsaturated are a mixed bag. Look for fats here that have a low omega 6: omega 1 ratio.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/#axzz2kHD86pcK
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Poly-unsaturated are a mixed bag. Look for fats here that have a low omega 6: omega 1 ratio.

Whoops - that should be a low omega 6: omega 3 ratio.
  • christinecsaucier
    christinecsaucier Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks everyone! This is starting to make sense!