Words of Wisdom

Options
Lovemyveg
Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
I read this blog earlier and thought it was worth copying for anyone else who is interested. Perhaps we can use this thread to copy anything which might give others inspiration.

Road Closed
Posted on 10/29/2013 by BeingKevin
It was cold and dark and I was running towards some flashing yellow lights. It was at the end of a road I have run for some time now, along with a set of painted orange barriers and a big orange sign – “ROAD CLOSED.” I knew the road was getting old and in pretty bad shape, but it was still functioning just a day or two earlier, so I had no idea that the road was going to be closed.
I stood there for a few minutes and looked at that big orange sign amidst the painted orange barriers that seemed to scream “ROAD CLOSED” every time the flashing yellow lights blinked off and then back on. I thought about how much it reminded me of the same situation I was in just over a year earlier. At over 450 pounds I was just like that road that I ran. Like the road behind those flashing yellow lights, I was getting old. Like the road behind those painted orange barriers, I was in pretty bad shape. Like the road behind that sign that screamed “ROAD CLOSED,” I needed repaired.
I needed repaired, I always knew that, but how to repair was the hard part. I knew that it was going to take time, and I knew that it was going to be more than difficult, and I knew that there would be obstacles. I knew all of those things but I also knew that if I did not fix myself then one day my wife and son would wake up and find that like the road I have run for some time now, I was now closed.
I made a promise to myself back then that I would give the time I needed to give with the hope that in the end I gain much more time than I gave. I made a promise to myself back then that I wouldn’t quit no matter how difficult things became. I made a promise to myself that I would overcome the many obstacles in my way in whatever way I could so that I could keep moving forward.
It was in the spirit of that last promise that I stepped through the painted orange barriers and by the big orange sign. I came to a pile of gravel that seemed to be a mile high and took up the entire width of the road – and I walked around the mile high pile of gravel having to leave the road momentarily just to get past it. I came to a wall made from concrete barriers that stretched from one side of the road to the other with big barrels lined up on each side so you couldn’t go around – and I climbed over the concrete barrier and jumped down to find that the road was just like it was a few days earlier when I ran down it unimpeded with one exception – there was absolutely no cars to be seen. The path to where I needed to go was clear so I kept running.
The number of people who ask me how I could lose so much weight is immense. Often many of those same people will tell me that they can’t lose weight because “insert obstacle here.” I tell them that I understand, and I truly do, because I had those same obstacles in front of me for a large part of my life and I still battle them every single day.
It wasn’t until I promised myself that I would overcome any obstacle in my way, because I wanted to get healthy no matter the cost, that I finally realized that most of the obstacles standing in my way weren’t nearly as obstructing as I thought they were.
Like I did this morning, sometimes you simply need to go through an obstacle. Like I did this morning, sometimes you simply need to go around an obstacle. Like I did this morning, sometimes you simply need to climb over an obstacle. Like I did this morning, sometimes when you get through, around, or over the obstacle, you will find that the path to where you need to go is clear.
The next time you come across an obstacle, overcome it. Do not let your road be closed.
votes
+-
8 comments:

Replies

• Lovemyveg
    Options
    "~"This is the END" cried the caterpillar. "This is just the BEGINNING!" rejoiced the butterfly!~~"
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. Loved the post and plan to contribute.
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Something I often say to myself...... Do I need it? No I don't. Shall I eat it? No I won't!..........Maybe not words of wisdom, but it seems to work for me!! lol x x
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    I found this quote on MyFitHooker's profile (name refers to her love of crochet rather than a lifestyle choice!)

"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses; only results."

I really enjoyed reading her story on her profile page and that quote sang out to me too. It's time to be committed again.

xx
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    My mantra for the next 30 days 'what doesn't actually kill us, can only make us stronger!' I shall be thinking those words when the LOVELY Jillian says during the SHRED only 5 more when she means 10!! I won't have the strength or breath to say them out loud!
  • PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't have many words of wisdom however many years ago I said something along the lines of the following to a friend. I said it almost in passing but when I thought about it I realised it was very true. A friend forgives you for not being perfect. Be a true friend to yourself. Forgive yourself for not being perfect.

Just a thought

PB xxx
  • new82day
    new82day Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Love this new thread.... but am having a mind blank!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    B.M, I like this very much. It is like an 'earworm'; it gets into your mind and is hard to get rid of - not a bad thing here. I think it has actually saved me a few calories already, particularly of the "I'll just have a little more of this before I put it away" kind! It has sort of popped into my head then. (I thought my response would be under your entry, B.M.)
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Here is a slogan that is used by one of our local fitness clubs on t-shirts: " Don't let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things that I can."
  • new82day
    new82day Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Heres a couple to keep us going.....

' what you do today can improve your tomorrows'

and

'if it doesnt challenge you it doesnt change you'
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    NEW8 - I shall remember that one everytime I'm doing the SHRED!!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    I thought of this the other day. Years ago a secretary at my school had a poster taped to her computer. It always made me laugh but it had a great message. The poster, a black and white sketch, showed a stork with a little frog's head in its mouth, ready to devour it whole. However, the frog had managed to slip his hands around the stork's throat and is hanging on for dear life, resisting with everything he could, being eaten. The caption was: Don't EVER give up. I wondered if it might possibly be on the net. Of course, it is. In fact, there are numbers of versions and many sites referencing it. I got to it by just putting in - frog choking stork never ever give up. That saying, I think, suits this group's outlook very well. If this group had a team t-shirt, I think this would be a great logo and motto. So I am going to imagine all of us wearing such a shirt.
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Great idea Bracken, but I'm starting to think you have a tiny fixation with "throttling" lol!!

Andy posted a couple of pertinent comments on her Facebook page yesterday

"Don't let today's disappointment spoil tomorrow's dreams" and "If you can dream it, you can do it". I believe the latter is a Walt Disney quote. They struck a chord with me.

xx
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Found this on Kimmie185's profile page

"Knowing from trying diets again and again, I know that diets just don't work. To be successful and stay that way it's all about having a lifestyle change. If you are not willing to change for the long term, then don't expect long term results. "
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    This blog resonated with me

Why I Gained Weight Back
    Posted on 11/09/2013 by wendybird5

It took me a year and a half to lose 88 pounds. It took me 8 months to gain back 25 of those pounds. So I lost weight at a rate of 4.8 pounds a month and gained it back at a rate of 3.1 pounds a month. I'm thankful I can lose faster than I gain.

But why did I gain it back at all? Most people think people gain weight because they are lazy or stupid or eat a ton of fast food or don't workout. But I still kept working out the whole time, albeit not as consistently at times, and I didn't go back to my old daily fast food habit either. No, what did me in was my attitude. I got too cocky and full of myself and I thought it was so easy to lose weight that when I started splurging more and gained back five pounds, that it was ok because I could lose five pounds in a week easy so, no worries.

I hit ten pounds and told myself, "My jeans still fit so no big deal. I can burn ten pounds easily." At this time my grandmother had passed away and I was dealing with issues at work and in my love life and was eating my emotions. I also started to resent not being able to eat the way I used to while seeing friends who could eat a ton, but remained super skinny. It just wasn't fair!

When I hit 20 pounds, my jeans let me know it. Half of them I couldn't wear anymore and the other half worked under protest. Talk about muffin top! I had it in a big way. Now I began to realize something had to be done. But no one else could see the weight gain. Anytime I told people I'd gained weight, they asked, "Where?" It was kind of frustrating as I found myself wishing that someone would tell me I was getting fat. But everyone just kept telling me I was doing great while asking me if I could tell they'd gained five pounds. But getting back on track was a struggle for me. After six months off track, it was difficult to get back to my good habits, no matter what trick I tried.

And then I hit 25.When I realized how close I was to 200 pounds, then I finally freaked out. No more excuses. I knew exactly what to do to lose the weight. I didn't have to guess or experiment. I just needed to go back to doing what I'd done before.

Five days in to slapping myself on the hand and going back to what works, I've lost seven pounds already. I know most of that is likely water weight and that in the coming weeks, the weight loss will not be as impressive, but as long as it's a pound a week, then I'm good.

But through this all I've remembered the most important key to success in weight loss. It has to be important to you. Sure, you can want to be slimmer and healthier, but you aren't going to take the steps needed if it isn't important enough to you that you stop making excuses and start doing what you know is going to work. It's not about how bad you want it. It's about how important it is to you versus the other things in your life. So take moment to look at the excuses you use for not doing what you know you need to do to get into shape and ask yourself, "Is that other thing really more important than my health? Is me being unhealthy going to improve that other thing or person that I've decided is more important? Or would improving my health also benefit that situation as well?"
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Ooh, lots of that I could identify with.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Me too, ie. there is a lot to identify with and a lot to think about. This thread is becoming a real wellspring for inspiration.
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    I haven't checked these links out, but might be some useful stuff in them for those of us who like to read about fitness and nutrition.

xx

A collection of my favorite and recommended fitness resources!
    Posted on 08/04/2013 by Mother_Superior

This is a list of my favorite fitness related websites on everything from nutrition, to strength training with both body weight, and traditional weights, yoga, HIIT, and more. If you need exercises, routines, or to learn how to eat, these are excellent sources!

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
    http://http://www.bodybuilding.com/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    http://stronglifts.com/
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/
    http://www.mymadmethods.com/
    http://www.marklauren.com/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/
    http://www.doyogawithme.com
    http://maxshank.com/
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    I saw this a while back and thought it very true.

"I'm fat because I chose to be. I'm fat because I consistently chose to put too much food in my mouth and sit on the couch instead of moving.

I can also be healthy because I choose to be. And that's a choice I have to make every single day for the rest of my life."

April Williams 2729's Blog.
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    That's a really good one MITM. I think I've seen that before but I had forgotten it. It's all about the choices we make.

xx