Anyone NOT have a good experience with Armour?

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
Hello! I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a couple years ago. Went on 50mcg of Synthroid. Felt better, then felt worse, then felt better, then felt worse, etc. Eventually convinced my doctor to switch me to Armour. Felt better, then felt a LOT worse. Kept feeling worse. Like I was on drugs. My numbers were going nuts. Tested a few times. Went to an endo who switched me back to Synthroid since Armour isn't regulated. Took 88mcg of Synthroid for a month. Felt better, then felt worse. Upped to 100mcg. Felt better, now feel a LOT worse. Blood testing again in a few weeks.

I'm tempted to go back to Armour to work on dosage. I keep reading SO many good things about it. Obviously neither drug is doing its job ... at least not for very long.

I'm tired.

Replies

• ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I tried Armour once several years ago and it did not seem to work for me. I felt like I wasn't on anything at all. All my symptoms came back right away and I was falling asleep everywhere as if I weren't even medicated. As soon as I told my doc, they switched me right back to Synthroid. Sometimes I'm tempted to try it again too because I also hear nothing but good stories, and I only stayed on it for a month. Maybe that just wasn't enough time to get the right dosage? I don't know, but my limited experience wasn't good.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience - was switched from synthroid / cytomel combination to Armour and initially felt worse than I had in YEARS. I think I was on 1/2 grain (30 mg). Turns out I was on way too LOW of a dose, and doctor was trying to regulate by TSH, which is totally useless, instead of Free T3 and Free T4. I'm now on 120 mg a day, with an afternoon cytomel supplement (5 mcg) to try to combat a high reverse-T3 thing currently going on. Feeling really great, finally.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mistakes-patients-make/ (see #1)

I had low iron (due to my endometriosis) and very low vitamin D, so that was not helpful. I now take supplements for both.

I learned something new today - I always thought Armour was regulated by the FDA, because it requires a doctor's prescription. Apparently, it is a "grandfathered" drug that has successfully been used since 1891. FDA oversees the manufacturer's facilities, but the drug itself is not technically regulated (yet).

Edited to add: my previous synthroid/cytomel dose was 100 mg/10 mcg in the morning. Guessing the synthroid to armour conversion chart often used is flat-out wrong. :-(
  • kcvance
    Options
    Here's a conversion chart:

drugchrt.jpg

By my old dosage, doctor had switched me to 1/2 grain, which is a little low according to the conversion chart. I'm now taking 2 grains (120 mg), and this is the most "normal" I've felt in almost 20 years.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Tried Levothyroxine with many side effects making me not feel well at all. Convinced dr to let me try Armour going from 60mg down to 30mg. The 60 was a few yrs ago, so I couldn't remember why my dosage was changed. 30 mg wasn't enough, so I requested to try 45 mg. I felt really well on this. My dr retired and my new dr saw I was just in the "normal" range, so he tried me on 60 again. That was a big mistake with lots of side effects. Back on 45 mg again per a float dr. and again beginning to feel a lot better. The one that upped my dosage to 60 actually wanted me to go on the synthetics, but I disagreed with that. Have changed again to another dr, so I will see what this one thinks. My thoughts are why change when I am feeling so well.....
  • Lii3
    Lii3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was reading these comments and noticed that every one said felt worse and then felt better. What does everyone mean by feeling worse? can you give me a detailed example because i have had hypothyroidism since i was in 6th grade and i am now about to graduate college and let me tell you all, its been a struggle nightmare not only on my health but on my emotional state. I just need to understand if this is my thyroid brining me down into the depths of hell or if i am a little imbalanced cognitively haha.
    I am on levothyroxine which is a synthroid i believe. 50 mcg since i started the drug.
  • kcvance
    Options
    When I say feeling worse I mean that every single one of my hypothyroid symptoms came back, some with a vengeance (I was doing "OK" on my cytomel/levothyroxine combination). The fatigue and the constipation were the most noticeable changes, as I've continued to have low body temperature and dry skin since before being diagnosed.

Now that I'm on the correct dosage, I have minimal symptoms with the exception of continued low body temperature - I have enough energy to run 9+ miles every day, I'm not constipated, I don't have brain fog, and I've lost 25 pounds fairly easily.

It's hard to explain, but once you get on the correct dosage, it is mind-blowing how much better you feel. For me, my symptoms got progressively worse until I didn't remember what "normal" felt like anymore, or realize how bad I actually felt.

For what it is worth, I was continually told my symptoms, including my skin peeling off and my hair falling out were "just depression". So I don't assume that you are cognitively imbalanced, it is probably your thyroid.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thank you all for replying. I don't think I've ever been on the correct doseage!!!!

@Lii3 - when I say I feel worse I mean I get tired at 6 p.m. I sleep for 8-9 hours and feel like I could sleep another 10. I wake up tired. I feel like I'm almost buzzed from drinking or I've taken some kind of drugs that make me "foggy." I can't concentrate on tasks at work and I feel drained, unmotivated, depressed, pissed off and frustrated. I don't handle things the same way; I let my emotions get the best of me.

... and even more than that, I'm flippin' constipated!! LOL, I HATE that.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Armour is regulated!. It's a drug that has to pass regulation just like Synthroid. Doctors love to say it's unreliable but that is not the case. It just might take a bit more work to get the dosage right. I was on 200 of Synth and 20 of Cytomel when I switched to Armour. So now I'm on a much lower dose of T4 (Synthroid) and about about the same of T3 (Cytomel). I actually feel better in that I have more stamina, which was my worst hypo symptom.

As for the constipation, try taking 500 mg of magnesium at night. I have always sworn by it. I take a mag/calcum every night with Vitamin D. It works like a charm ;)
  • Hollyaw24
    Hollyaw24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if your iron is low or you have adrenal issues, armour will make you have side effects. It is worth getting these in line as you begin taking armour! the reference to stop the thyroid madness earlier in this thread will explain that to you!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of Armour. I went from Synthroid to Armour, and was on Armour for 1-2 years. It had the same ability of not really altering my levels or symptoms enough (I was staying hypo, despite increasing dosages; hair falling out, always cold, weight stalls, constipation, etc.). Levothyroxine (off-brand Levoxyl) is similar to Synthroid, but compounded slightly different--it's the best I've been on so far.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My endo won't let me go on anything other than Synthroid. I am stable at 112 mcg.
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read through later.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I had been "level" on levothyroxine at 150 mcg but just felt like crap with all the stupid symptoms (I've been hypo since age 21) 3 weeks ago I switched drs and requested Armour. He gave me 60mg tablets. Within a week and a half I felt Horrible! He told me to increase by 1/2 pill which I did and I take that 1/2 in the afternoon seperate. I feel sooooo good! I do lab work in a week to see where I'm at.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Just started Armour about a week ago and have not been on any other thyroid medication previously as I was just diagnosed. Feeling awful. Main issue is a huge increase in fatigue. I was started on 45 mg. Do you think it is too soon to ask my Dr. to increase the dosage?

Yeah. I'm surprised at BJ's comment--most endos know that the half-life on thyroid drugs is longer than a week (Armour DOES metabolize faster than all the other pills, but even then, a week's not giving the drug even a chance to help stabilize levels).

The unfortunate thing about thyroid issues is the "waiting" period. Waiting for the pill to break down fully in the body. Waiting for the blood stream to properly circulate the hormone. Waiting for the thyroid and pituitary gland to react to the hormones. Waiting for them to do so long enough to change symptoms one way or the other.

This can take months. People that jump dosages too quickly (which I've seen tend to happen more with people being treated by GPs/PCP instead of endos) can end up screwing themselves by not letting themselves figure out a proper dosage.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I was pretty surprised that he increased my dosage after such a short span also (he is a GP, not Endo). But now my dosages on Armour is equivalent to dosage on levo. Normally I have always had to wait the standard 6 weeks to do new labs. However as good as I'm feeling right now.... I will not complain :)
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I first tried Armour it was too much for me. The second time I went on it after being on Levoxcyl and Cytomel for 3 years it worked much better. However, I had also changed my diet to more whole foods and gluten free, began taking a multi-vitamin with Selenium I also take 10k IU of Vitamin D3 4-5 days a week and began a regular yoga practice. It took a couple of months but, I now take 1.5 grains of Armour a day and feel great. It does take time for your body to adjust. Also, you sound like you have Hashimoto's where you go from being Hyper to Hypo. I do find that I have to change my dosage in the winter due to lack of sunlight (living in Seattle). You may want to breakup when take your Armour. I take one grain in the morning and chew it then the rest after lunch. Be sure to chew it and only drink water after for the first 15-30 minutes and don't take any calcium within 4 hours of taking it. I also recommend staying away from Soy as it inhibits the Thyroid hormone from working.

Sorry I sound preachy but, I have been working with Hashimoto's for a long time. Just keep researching to see what will work best for you. Good luck!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Make sure to chew your pills and break up the dosage(1/2 morning and 1/2 after lunch on empty stomach). Just drink water and allow it to absorb into your system )(15-30 mins works for me) Don't eat soy products and stay away from Calcium within 4 hours of taking the pill.
  • firstsip
    Options
    The T3 in Armour is available immediately.... and has a half-life of about 1 day and that is why many suggest breaking up the dosage and taking it 2-3 times a day. I've actually tried this and it does not work for me... gives me terrible insomnia, even though I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open. I might try it again later if I can get my dosage right.

Yes, if someone is on T4 only, then it would take a long time for that T4 to build up, and then even longer for the T4 to convert into T3 so that your body can use it.

Anyway, that is my understanding of how Armour works compared to T4 only or synthetics. I'm pretty new to all this. I do know that everyone is different and that what works for one may not work for another. But for me it comes down to the fact that I trust my doctor. He is the one that found I had hypothyroid after being undiagnosed for what seems like forever. I am 40 now and I've complained to every GP I've had about being tired since my early 20s and all they ever wanted to do was throw me on anti-depressants... which never helped one bit with the fatigue. Now I am seeing an ND and so far he has been great.

He went ahead and increased my dosage and is going to check my levels again in 3 weeks. He also found that I have low cortisol and is going to treat that as well. I just finally feel like there is hope for me to finally feel normal again after so long.

Just reiterating what I said earlier: something breaking down immediately doesn't solve symptoms immediately. Thyroid levels don't function like taking a Tylenol for pain--your entire body does not instantly regulate levels from one Armour pill, let alone one Armour pill. It would quite literally be a "miracle pill" if it worked that quickly. Armour does break down much quicker, but even a day (let alone a week) isn't enough time to see if it's properly working. Some people confuse reactions to the actual drug sometimes with "nypo/hyper symptom changes."

Again, half-life is just breaking down the pill, and people aren't different when it comes to half-lifes. What's different is how soon people's thyroids (or pituitary glands) notice the changes through blood, etc. etc. Even with Armour, a week isn't much time to give it.

I'm certainly glad you stopped going to GPs, though. I've never heard anyone with success going to a GP/PCP, and I've literally had GPs say, "Oh, I think your issues might be thyroid related, since I see you have no thyroid"... for what ended up being a sinus infection.

Also, once cortisol is in the picture, that trumps thyroid. That needs to be solved before thyroid levels can be accurately matched to symptom output (although severely unregulated thyroid levels one way or the other can cause them, as I've experienced...twice). A naturopath saved my life from it the first time, so it's good you found an ND for those issues.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thank you all for adding your experiences. This has turned into a VERY interesting thread.

I got my levels checked last week. My vitamin D is a little low, but - of course - I'm in "the range" on all the thyroid tests, except for the TSH (high). I ran out of the 100mcg sample packs of Synthroid the endo gave me and made a decision to not request a prescription, but to go back to an old script of Armour. I started taking two Armour per day last week, but felt pretty foggy. I scaled it back to one grain this week and have felt decent. I am also scheduling an appointment with this lady: http://www.drjaninetalty.com/
  • christadenz
    Options
    I took Armour and did not like it. I felt horrible on it at first but that was not just because it was Armour, it was because my other levels were off in vitamins, etc. I made a post called Healed most thyroid symptoms, but still need some advice. It is very long so I don't want to retype everything, but I hope the information will help you!!