OHP Weight

Options
13»

Replies

• debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started SL at the end of September, and just progressed to OHP at 55 pounds but only got 5,5,4,3,3 the first time I tried it (Monday). My body weight is around 137, and I'm 5'2". I am progressing on the other lifts, but this is the hardest one for me. I have never had tremendous upper body strength, but am hoping SL changes that.

I was stuck at 47.5 for a while (unable to do 5 sets of 5 so stayed there), then didn't get stuck at 50 or 52.5 (was able to do 5x5 on the first time trying it). Sounds like I need to make sure my grip isn't too wide and remember to use my whole body (squeeze core and buns). Oh, and time my rest in between to make sure it is long enough.

Edit to add that I am using large washers from Fastenal for fractionals so I can creep up slowly.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    You can always move to 3x5 too..
  • LauraLouFace
    LauraLouFace Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just started my 6th week on Monday and did 60 lb OHP for the first time. Call me crazy, but even though it's the toughest one for me, I love the challenge! I look forward to Workout B every week :) My husband is a machinist, and he made me some fractional weights that didn't quite equal a pound (he had limited material to work with), so I add in the collars and they equal out to 1.18 lb for each one. Kind of a crazy number so I'd still like to try and find some of those washers at the hardware store.

I am so inspired by you ladies, these forum posts have helped me SO MUCH - I just want to keep going and going and getting stronger :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I guess I can chime in...

I am 5 ft 7 and about 164lbs my OHP is at 70lbs this workout.

Started middle of september but looking back at my log I see I did get 5x5 @65 in early october but didn't like my form so stayed there and failed the next work out so of course stayed again. Knocked them out but stayed at 65lbs to ensure form.

I am pretty sure the last time I did them it was fine so going to 70 today.

They are the hardest lift fr me as well always have been even when I lifted when I was younger (41 now).

Keep at it increase reps if you can (not a lot of increase) and make sure form is good as I found that made all the difference. As well make sure your rest periods are long enough.
  • kblairham
    kblairham Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm failing on OHP on the 4th set. I can do 5,5,5,4,3. Thanks for explaining deloading. It has always been confusing! Also, I will definitely try and get some fractional weights. Thanks guys!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm failing on OHP on the 4th set. I can do 5,5,5,4,3. Thanks for explaining deloading. It has always been confusing! Also, I will definitely try and get some fractional weights. Thanks guys!

if you are only failing the last reps on the last sets then just stick with the bar until you get 5x5 the move up in fractionals, also make sure you are giving yourself enough rest between sets, if its hard at least 3mins
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Only at 50#. I had to buy 2.5 pound plates so I could increase my weight on this one because upping it 10lbs was too much. I felt like such a weenie.
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is my nemesis too! I have deloaded back down to 20kg after hurting my back because of poor form, so I am staying at this weight for the foreseeable future until my abs catch up to my back strength. The heaviest I got was 30kg.