Hating Sansa

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I first started reading the series I hated Sansa as I found her very self centred and just annoying but having read further on I realise that's how we're supposed to feel about her. In some ways she's the one who changes the most out of the Stark kids and her story arc is quite interesting.
    I've just started Feast for crows and am now routing for Sansa and hoping she doesnt get killed off at some point.
    See, I don't think we were supposed to hate her or even dislike her. I think Martin wrote an accurate 11-year-old, sheltered, dreamy girl who goes through hell and has to grow up fast for self-preservation.

I've read all the books and watched all three seasons. I don't see that she's not still the same person. She just gets dosed with harsh reality.
  • Banannafish512
    Banannafish512 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Depending on how far you are in the books, it ends up that Sansa is constantly in the hands of people who want to abuse her or threaten to abuse her. She has no agency by herself because her family is gone and she is stuck dealing with people who treat her as a pawn.

Despite being beaten, threatened to the point of rape and death, she still manages to be a kind person (although mercifully, a little less naive). She saves someone's life who was nothing to her (don't wanna spoil), comforts others during the siege of KIng's Landing when Cersei kinda abandons ship.

Despite facing such challenging odds, she still manages to keep the honorable values that Ned instilled in her. While being kind is certainly not as "badass" as killing people openly, staying true to yourself after facing incredible abuse is so notable. imagine if Arya were in Sansa's place. Arya would die, quickly and painfully, if she was under Cersei's thumb because she has no sense of how to survive without a sword.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Depending on how far you are in the books, it ends up that Sansa is constantly in the hands of people who want to abuse her or threaten to abuse her. She has no agency by herself because her family is gone and she is stuck dealing with people who treat her as a pawn.

Despite being beaten, threatened to the point of rape and death, she still manages to be a kind person (although mercifully, a little less naive). She saves someone's life who was nothing to her (don't wanna spoil), comforts others during the siege of KIng's Landing when Cersei kinda abandons ship.

Despite facing such challenging odds, she still manages to keep the honorable values that Ned instilled in her. While being kind is certainly not as "badass" as killing people openly, staying true to yourself after facing incredible abuse is so notable. imagine if Arya were in Sansa's place. Arya would die, quickly and painfully, if she was under Cersei's thumb because she has no sense of how to survive without a sword.

That's actually a pretty good point. She is making the best out of the situation with what she has. I still feel she is annoying to read as a PoV charachter but maybe that will change with time, last I read a chapter from her PoV she was certainly getting better at "the game".
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I'm all caught up now -- books and show. There was no point that I felt any kind of animosity toward her. I agree with everything you said.

I still don't get the anti-Sansa thing. lol