whats your best veggie recipe this week?

Options
I think I'm going to die of boredom...sick of onions, peppers, mushrooms and zucchini

I probably just need to get creative, but don't seem to have it in me. What's been your favourite veggie or veggie dish this week, and how did you prepare it?

Replies

• cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I just love turnip fries.

Cut and peel the turnip - cut in long thin strips and place on baking sheet with salt, pepper, garlic and a drizzle of olive oil.
    Bake in the oven on 400 until tender, same tenderness as fries baked in the oven.

So delish and I don't even like cooked turnip.

Good luck
  • sdkyne
    sdkyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower. A pound of cauliflower, teaspoon of cumin, tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 cup chicken broth.,toss together in a bowl, put in roasting pan, oven at 375 for 30 min or so. Very filling!
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you! Those both sound fantastic and I have the ingredients for both!!
  • GrandmaAbbie
    Options
    yummm...I need to try those turnip fries. I have a feeling that it'll make me feel like I'm cheating a bit. :smile:
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    yummm...I need to try those turnip fries. I have a feeling that it'll make me feel like I'm cheating a bit. :smile:

You never realize how good turnip tastes until 3-6 months away from potatoes...
  • Seakale
    Options
    kale chips

1 bunch kale
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt or seasoned salt like Spike

Preheat oven to 359 Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Remove leaves from stems and tear leaves into pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry with salad spinner Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt.. Bake 10-15 minutes making sure not to burn edges.

I'm making a double batch today and sending some down to my dieting daughter as a care package.
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Seakale's recipe!

My favorite though, is the kale recipe, but with brocoli. Man, o man! I used to hate that stuff, now I coud eat it every day. It gets nice and krispy if you cook it right.

- bunch of broccoli
    - grapeseed oil or olive oil
    - salt/ season salt
    - one or two garlic bulbs, freshly pressed

Clean broccoli. Dry VERY well.
    Toss everything in a bowl. Preheat oven at 350-370
    Line a cookie sheet with aluminium, add broccoli to sheet and put in oven for 30-50 minutes.

When i'm in a hurry add put the rack very high and up the heat a bit.
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Also! Zuccini "noodles". I got myself a spiralizer and I can make fun zuccini noodles that you can have raw, in salads, or you can toss in a pan with some oil and herbs.

Very fun and tastier somehow, hahah.
  • jan5500
    jan5500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Warm Cabbage Slaw:

2 Cups packaged green and red cabbage "slaw"
    1 TBsp Olive Oil
    Splash of Seasoned Rice Vinegar
    Tsp Toasted Sesame Seeds

just heat the oil, throw in the cabbage and "stir fry" until a little browned on all sides
    splash on the vinegar; cover pan and wait about 2 minutes
    sprinkle on the seeds and enjoy!
  • ljlantgen
    ljlantgen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sounds great Jan! I need to try this.
  • ljlantgen
    Options
    Interesting broccoli recipe! I think that looks good.
  • ChampagneHrglss
    ChampagneHrglss Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a giant fan of roasting my veggies. I roast everything with olive oil, salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder. If I have it, I'll use garlic-infused olive oil but I'm out right now. :-(

For St. Patrick's Day, along with the corned beef (which was a sodium bomb I paid for for three days after but it was worth it) I made cabbage this way:

Quarter the cabbage and remove the pit at the bottom
    Heat olive (or grapeseed) oil in a large, flat frying pan, sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, and pepper
    Place the cabbage wedges in the pan, pressing down with a spatula or spoon to sear the surface really well - a couple of minutes on each side - however long it takes to get the amount of browning you want
    Transfer wedges to a baking rack placed on a baking sheet or pan, something with edges, and put in a 350* oven
    Before closing the oven, pour about half a Guiness into the baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.

The guiness just steams some of the beer flavor up into the cabbage without actually adding the carbs/calories of drinking the beer, since it never actually touches the cabbage. The flavor gets all smoky and awesome.
  • ljlantgen
    Options
    Wow, I really need to try this!