November Whole30?

Options

Replies

• ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any food dreams just yet, but seeing as it's likely to happen I can prepare myself! lol
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I just jumped into my second Whole30 yesterday, totally unplanned. I'm excited! I'm planning on a Whole40 actually. Everything was going ok, but the dairy was getting out of hand again. And another thing I need to address is I always want a night snack, which is ok if I am truly hungry but not ok as purely habit. So, night snack allowed when needed, eaten in the kitchen but not in bed.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This was so YUMMY. Chicken Saag with boiled eggs.

6f901c9b-22ee-4b4c-914c-f2ac542ba171_zps3d4f3102.jpg
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    How everybody is doing? I personally do not feel anything. I am not better or worse than prior the whole 30. I expected some major breakthrough or epiphany, but it is nothing. I am not tired neither energized. It is the 11th day. .

This is me too. I have my tired and not tired days. I don't have any "I feel awesome!" days like other folks. I think it may be because I didn't have any serious health complaints prior to doing my whole 30. I don't have IBS (that I know of), I don't think I was gluten intolerant, or any of the other things... I just ate to much and specially to much sugar and carbs. I'll admit, I got on the scale and I lost 5 pounds so far. but I miss sweet stuff... cookies and ice cream mostly...
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    Day 16 for me and I really do feel great! Yesterday was a challenging day for me - my youngest daughter turned 19, the "legal" age where we live. Of course, this life event involved a dinner/night out at a local pub. As I anticipated, pub food is not exactly "Whole 30" friendly. So proud of myself for facing the challenge head on and sticking to my goals! Had a lovely beef tenderloin with grilled veg and copious amounts of club soda and lime. The food was great and I am so glad I put my fears aside and enjoyed this time with family! And after all - someone had to be the "designated driver"

Making bone broth today - my house smells fabulous, and can't wait to taste the final product!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    . I just ate to much and specially to much sugar and carbs. I'll admit, I got on the scale and I lost 5 pounds so far. but I miss sweet stuff... cookies and ice cream mostly...
    5 lb ??? That is awesome!
    It is day #14 for me and I am up 2 lb ...I am such a pathetic failure.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    . I just ate to much and specially to much sugar and carbs. I'll admit, I got on the scale and I lost 5 pounds so far. but I miss sweet stuff... cookies and ice cream mostly...
    5 lb ??? That is awesome!
    It is day #14 for me and I am up 2 lb ...I am such a pathetic failure.

That's why it is recommended that Whole30 include putting away the scale. Gauging success or failure based solely on that number is illogical. I weighed during my first W30 and had no weight loss in the first two weeks but by the end it was over 3 pounds down, which is great for me these days. I can be up two or three pounds on any given day from the day previous, I'm not a "failure", it's normal fluctuation with water and whatever. There are a lot of things going on in our body that the scale has no way to display!
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    That's why it is recommended that Whole30 include putting away the scale. Gauging success or failure based solely on that number is illogical. I weighed during my first W30 and had no weight loss in the first two weeks but by the end it was over 3 pounds down, which is great for me these days. I can be up two or three pounds on any given day from the day previous, I'm not a "failure", it's normal fluctuation with water and whatever. There are a lot of things going on in our body that the scale has no way to display!

This - AND it is about so much more than the number on the scale - try not to be so hard on yourself!
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

This - AND it is about so much more than the number on the scale - try not to be so hard on yourself!

ditto!! I agree that it is more than what is going on on the scale. I do feel "healthier" if that makes sense?? it is just an overall feeling. by then end of my sugar bindge (before whole30) I was feeling fat, tired, bloated, and mood swinging. those things are at least gone for me for the most part. Like I said, I still have tired days... like today.
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This was so YUMMY. Chicken Saag with boiled eggs.

6f901c9b-22ee-4b4c-914c-f2ac542ba171_zps3d4f3102.jpg
    This looks delicious! I'd LOVE to recipe, if you have it :D

I'm halfway through the challenge and it feels good. I also launched myself into working out with coworkers after work--our goal is 3-4 sessions per week. It's mostly been cardio so far, but I had a friend give me a rundown on how to properly lift free-weights. My goal is maybe 20 minutes of cardio tomorrow, followed by an upper body strength training session. If I manage not to drop a weight on my head, I'll call it a success.

I bought myself an enormous dungeness crab for tomorrow to celebrate the end of day 15. I plan to saute garlic, onions, and crab parts in ghee and cilantro and then make a giant mess getting to that delectable crustacean meat. Yummo! I have some shrimp I could also add the mix, but I doubt I'll need it. I'm pretty darn excited!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

ditto!! I agree that it is more than what is going on on the scale. I do feel "healthier" if that makes sense?? it is just an overall feeling. by then end of my sugar bindge (before whole30) I was feeling fat, tired, bloated, and mood swinging. those things are at least gone for me for the most part. Like I said, I still have tired days... like today.

Good for you! ! i remember that feeling, i had that after my gluten challange in August. . I have not eaten gluten or any commercial candy / chocolate or even icecream since august.. Halloween was prior to my start, but i didn't eat a single piece of candy or chocolate even than.
    I didn't have any health or craving or bloating or any issues prior to this, so I guess it cann't really fix anything for me. I have a single problem that my fat won't go away despite of my calorie deficit and being in keto for months. I really hoped , this would help. I can live with a plateau , but seeing the scale move to the opposite direction is just frustrating.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Happy to report that so far, all is well :) Some days until I actually have to think "can I eat that on Whole30?" I actually forget that I'm on it! The food is amazing as usual but being so pure about it also has a very satisfying feeling. Honestly I thought this would have been a bit harder than it's turning out to be but generally the only "challenge" if you can call it that, is having to make sure that EVERYTHING is totally pure. Sometime I let a few things slide on my regular paleo like brown sugar or a little honey and I do enjoy my dark chocolate, but on Whole30, it gives you a totally different outlook.

My plan for the next few months is simple. I'll go back to my regular paleo after the 4th of December and try to do my best over Christmas while all that delicious food is floating around. But come January 1 it's another Whole30 for me and then I would like to try and get back into a ketogenic state for a little while. Woot!!!! I'm excited people! :)
  • Kaelitr0n
    Options
    My plan for the next few months is simple. I'll go back to my regular paleo after the 4th of December and try to do my best over Christmas while all that delicious food is floating around. But come January 1 it's another Whole30 for me and then I would like to try and get back into a ketogenic state for a little while. Woot!!!! I'm excited people! :)

Another Whole30 in January would be awesome! I've been toying around with the idea, myself. I actually have a few people at work hyped up about Whole30 and potentially 4 people that have committed to doing the challenge with me in March, 2014. In return, I have committed to doing a 5k Color Run in April... although I doubt I'll be able to run the whole thing, haha.

I'm feeling really, really good this morning. Was up and at 'em at 5 this morning just ready to take on anything. Yesterday I was feeling a little bit like the first half of this thing was soooo long and I wasn't looking forward to the other half, but my outlook has totally changed this morning. The past 15 days has been a breeze!

I am still struggling with not weighing. I find myself thinking about it a lot, trying anything to justify it. I not only took the batteries out of my scale at home, I had to put it away so I couldn't even see it. I discovered we have two scales in the gym, so it feels like no matter which way I turn, I'm confronted by it. I never would have guessed that this would be the hardest part of the Whole30. My two biggest vices, wine and cheese, were easy to give up compared to this.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options

Another Whole30 in January would be awesome! I've been toying around with the idea, myself. I actually have a few people at work hyped up about Whole30 and potentially 4 people that have committed to doing the challenge with me in March, 2014. In return, I have committed to doing a 5k Color Run in April... although I doubt I'll be able to run the whole thing, haha.

I'm feeling really, really good this morning. Was up and at 'em at 5 this morning just ready to take on anything. Yesterday I was feeling a little bit like the first half of this thing was soooo long and I wasn't looking forward to the other half, but my outlook has totally changed this morning. The past 15 days has been a breeze!

I am still struggling with not weighing. I find myself thinking about it a lot, trying anything to justify it. I not only took the batteries out of my scale at home, I had to put it away so I couldn't even see it. I discovered we have two scales in the gym, so it feels like no matter which way I turn, I'm confronted by it. I never would have guessed that this would be the hardest part of the Whole30. My two biggest vices, wine and cheese, were easy to give up compared to this.

I say we totally do a January Whole30! But even if no one joins me, I'll be doing it to start 2014 off right. On December 6th I've committed to doing the Bronze Medal in the Run Barbados series. It's a fun mile on one night, a 3k the next day and a 5k on the last day. It's 3 days in a row, but I want to get it done so bad!

I was worried about my food choices (or lack thereof) when I initially started Whole30 but now I'm realizing more and more than there are so many options once carbs are allowed. I still enjoy the lean feeling of being in a ketogenic state, but I can't really say that I'm unhappy eating all these great natural carbs.

I'm happy to hear your 2nd half is going well. Monday next week would be 2 weeks for me and I'm loving it. Like you I still really want to weigh as well but I always find an "excuse". "Hey look, I just got my period so it wont be accurate" or "well I just ate something so the numbers will be off". I left my scale out to give myself the willpower to stay off of it though. I'm a bad *kitten* like that! LOL
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'll do a January Whole 30 with you! As long as I remember to keep up with logging into MFP, I know I'll find a way to get through this Whole 30... as well as the next. If you ever don't see me posting, I invite any of my friends to send me a message to get my butt back!

Reading through this thread, I'm more excited about recipes- even though I HAVE to be strict with my budget. Good luck everyone! I started Nov. 13 so I'm in my first week!
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Kaelitr0n recipe was an adaption of this http://nomnompaleo.com/post/66176702405/saag-gosht-lamb-with-spinach-sauce But I didn't have all the ingredients so I changed it. I used lard instead of ghee, chicken instead of lamb, spring onion and cauliflower instead of onion and silverbeet instead of spinach. Once cooked I added boiled eggs.

And I'm keen for another whole 30 but in February because my Bday is in Jan and I want to eat paleo cake and treats, plus it will be xmas/summer holidays here so I want to enjoy it was family and not stress them or me out with food...haha my primal diet does that enough.
  • Kaelitr0n
    Options
    Thanks, nicky! I'm going to have to give that recipe a try this week, I think.

Last night I had a dream that I drank a beer and ate some chocolate. I was so upset with myself for ruining my Whole30. In my dream, I found myself wishing it was a dream so that it wasn't true, but simply resigned myself to believing that I'm not strong enough to do this. I woke up this morning still feeling dejected that I couldn't complete the month. Still trying to shake off that feeling.
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    I had a very vivid dream about eating HUGE amounts of buttered popcorn - woke up feeling so disappointed in myself until I realized it was only a dream!

On day 19 today and planning ahead for the week's meal. Going to try making mayo again today - last attempt was a disaster so keeping my fingers crossed that I get it right this time.

I am really feeling well so am hinking of extending beyond 30 days - is anyone thinking of going longer?
  • Kaelitr0n
    Options
    I am really feeling well so am hinking of extending beyond 30 days - is anyone thinking of going longer?
    I am! I have some social outings already planned in December, so I can probably only extend my Whole30 by one week, but that's better'n nothing :D
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    Am loving the recipes links that come in the daily Whole 30 newsletter. I am not an inventive cook, so need all the help I can get!

Today I'm making the beef chili recipe - would never have thought of adding cocoa powder - but wow - does my kitchen ever smell wonderful. Glad I made enough for lots of leftovers!