Ok, you're a runner. Get over it.

Options
2»

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    what a sad guy. he isn't even a good writer. He just sounds angry.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Here's another good response. I love this blogger. :tongue:
    http://www.shutupandrun.net/2013/11/are-runners-full-of-themselves.html
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Even if runners are doing it for a "look at me", their reasons are really no one else's business or problem except their own.

Ultimately, who gives a rat's *kitten* WHY people are doing it? It's not some exclusive club where people have to be a certain way or do it for a certain reason to be "real". If you run, you're a "real" runner. If you run for a sticker, shirt, Facebook status, or whatever else, you are STILL a runner, because you're RUNNING. That's all the definition of runner implies: One who runs. The WHY part is completely irrelevant, and really doesn't impact ANYONE else except the one doing the running.

No one asked for his opinion, because it doesn't actually change anything, or even matter, in the end. So what if they're proud of themselves? Apparently they need to be, in the face of asshat commentary telling them that they're reasons or outward manifestations are not "approved".

I never understand why people have to take the success of others and become defensive, like others' successes are somehow their failures that they need to defend. Putting others down to bring yourself up is a very immature coping mechanism, to say the least.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's annoying that running is trendy... I am probably a runner today because running is trendy. And as a result, I am fitter, healthier, and happier than I have ever been in my life. If more and more people want to share that, fantastic. I hope this trend takes over the world.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am always wanting to be a one person parade. I only do it for people to stare at me and wish to have my athleticism. /sarcasm :laugh:
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Unable to develop the discipline required to be a runner, Chad, who is a little on the plump side and feeling unhealthy, is acting out in frustration.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Unable to develop the discipline required to be a runner, Chad, who is a little on the plump side and feeling unhealthy, is acting out in frustration.

:laugh:
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I just rolled my eyes at the original article. I totally admit that part of why I run is to help me in my weight loss efforts, which is at least in some small part about vanity. However, the mental benefits I reap from running are so much more important to me than the physical at this point - I would be insane without it.

If you don't like running, don't. If you don't want to see your friends posting about running on social media, either hide their posts or use your (free) scrolling finger to just manually ignore them. Who cares what stickers people put on their cars? Ignore them if it annoys you so much.

Reading his article makes me want to post all of my runs on facebook. LOL
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a trend over at the WSJ, first they told us last May that running is bad for us now we have someone trying to make us feel bad for doing something that makes us feel good.

I know what I look like in my tights and fluorescent yellow running shell and I don't care what people think, I (and I suspect I could say we) don't run for the attention or approval of others I/we run because I'm a / we are runner(s).......

If I subscribed to the WSJ I'd cancel my subscription........
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a trend over at the WSJ, first they told us last May that running is bad for us now we have someone trying to make us feel bad for doing something that makes us feel good.

I know what I look like in my tights and fluorescent yellow running shell and I don't care what people think, I (and I suspect I could say we) don't run for the attention or approval of others I/we run because I'm a / we are runner(s).......

If I subscribed to the WSJ I'd cancel my subscription........

I think you are missing the point. You aren't supposed to go RUN in your tights and shell. You are supposed to go to Starbucks and be adulated (is that a word)? Because, you know, people are IMPRESSED when you say you run. Like my coworkers, for example. They ooh and ahh when I talk about intervals and hill work and splits.

The other day, I had to fight my way through the crowd of people snapping photos of my 13.1 sticker to get to my car.

And not one reader of Mark Remy's column has let not having a subscription prevent them from cancelling it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I think you are missing the point. You aren't supposed to go RUN in your tights and shell. You are supposed to go to Starbucks and be adulated (is that a word)? Because, you know, people are IMPRESSED when you say you run. Like my coworkers, for example. They ooh and ahh when I talk about intervals and hill work and splits.

The other day, I had to fight my way through the crowd of people snapping photos of my 13.1 sticker to get to my car.

And not one reader of Mark Remy's column has let not having a subscription prevent them from cancelling it.

I need to get one of those (and a triathlon one too) but there must be something wrong with me....... I don't like Starbucks :happy:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole article was hilarious. And he does make a good point "Why would someone want to get up at 5 a.m. and run 10 miles adorned with fluorescent tape to avoid being struck by someone who has the good sense to use a car for a 10-mile journey?" Why? I am terrified of being run over. I don't know why I do it either!

I agree--I thought it was pretty damn funny.