Recomendation for lift substitutions after a disc injury.

Options
The_Enginerd
The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
I had some severe back pain about a week ago, and after an MRI have been diagnosed with a small annular tear at the anterior of L5-S1. I'm feeling MUCH better now after a round of steroids and am currently doing physical therapy, but I'll have some limits to prevent further injury and problems while the disc heals. The physical therapist did confirm I have a weak core, which I pretty much knew because of the problems I'd had with my squats that forced me to deload.

The physical therapist is having me do some core strengthening exercises and recommended staying away from exercises that put stress on the disc, such as dead lifts and squats. He recommended using the leg press where my back is flat up against the seat instead of squats. Not sure what where I can do instead of dead lifts.

Any recommendations for exercises I can do instead? Since they are foundational, compound movements, I'm expecting it may take several exercises to replace one. Not sure how long I'll have to cut them out. Hoping not more than a couple of months, but it can take up to a year for a disc to fully heal.

FYI, I am following the plan Sara and SS recommended from this thread:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1031665-sl-5x5-vs-allpro-hybrid

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    sorry I forgot I mustnt help- I sent a PM
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    sorry I forgot I mustnt help- I sent a PM

We are fine with people posting - we just ask for people not to post on intake threads or about topics that they do not have a good knowledge of.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    48 hour bump.

Talking with my physical therapist, I should be able to go back to squatting lightly (just the bar) starting in a couple of weeks, although it will be longer until I can dead lift.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm not intending to ignore this post, but this is something I would work with your physical therapist on as far as defining the limitations you have due to your injury.

Good luck with your recovery. Injuries SUCK, sometimes mentally as much as physically.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have chronic lower back issues from 12 years of carting beer for Budweiser and I did myself no favors by allowing myself to get to 560 pounds and stretching my abdominal's out by 6 1/2 inches which I had repaired in a body lift procedure last year.... I had to wait several months before i could begin core exercises. I have been in Physical Therapy for the past 4 years throughout my weight loss do to my back, a pinched nerve in my neck, and two severely bad knee's (bone on bone) and the best advice I can give is take only those suggestion offered up by the therapist and your physician overseeing your injury.. Although I and some of the others in this group may have personal experience recovering though injuries such as this, the best advice is going to come from those that physical get to work with you hands on and see your progressions and set a plan accordingly... These types of injuries (especially to your back and spine) are very complicated and could lead to bigger and more long term injury if they are not treated properly..... Best of Luck to you on your road back to good health.......