I feel like crying:(...

Options
I started a juice detox fast a little over a week ago. Drinking nothing but greens, veggies and fruits. I did 3 days before preparing myself for it, and 7 days of nothing but juicing, drinking 5 juices a day. I felt great, and actually I wasnt ever really hungry because the juices filled me up! In 7 days I lost a total of 8 lbs. I dropped 2 lbs I think the first day, then a lb every day after that.

I was unsure of whether or not I was going to do the juicing detox for 7 or 10 days, was going to go 10 but by the 7th day
I was really really craving and missing eating real food and the green veggie juices although I had got them to taste decent, I was getting tired of. I would much rather eat them lol So I decided to end it at 7 and continue on my journey of health and weight lose by following this juice fast with eating more of a paleo style type of plan with a few exceptions....

I was going to go this route except do more of a primarily veggies and fruits with only meats, nuts a few times a week and anything else on very rare occassions. Ive been off the juicing for 2 days now. I quickly found out my first day that my stomach either shrunk or my system isnt used to actual food like it was because it doesnt take much at all to fill me up. I made my first reg meal the first day after my juicing and I was only able to eat maybe a cup of it before I was already feeling sick to my stomach, like I had just ate a big thanksgiving feast lol. I wasnt sure whether I should go with my instincts of stopping when I felt full or push myself to finish it all every meal...I decided to let my body be the judge, so once I felt full, I would stop.

Ever since I have started this whole process which was about 10 days ago, I havent had any sugar whatsoever, no caffeine, no nothing. Only either juices or veggies and fruits with the exception of some lean grass fed beef I had for dinner Sunday night. You can check out my diary if youd like:)

Why I feel like crying is since the juice has ended, each day I have put back on a lb a day. At the end of my juicing I was down to 167 and this morning Im back up to 169:( I know that any type of juicing or fasting is going to cause you to lose weight...and that afterwards the weight lose will slow way down, but since I was still taking in calories, I felt that I might gain a lb back and then start loosing again, or I would just stay the same and continue to loose 1 or 2 lbs a week. But gaining this 2 lbs back in the 2 days Ive gone back to reg eating is scaring me and really has gotten me depressed:(

Does anyone have any advice? Is this normal? What should I expect and is there anything I can do? Am I doing something wrong? Please Help!:(

Carrie

Replies

• JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    Carrie: if you are following Paleo guidelines in terms of eating, my advice would be to skip weighing every day - maybe go once a week. The scale is a TERRIBLE judge of what is happening to your body on a day-to-day basis.

Paleo is about making the right choices over the long haul, watching the results unfold gradually, and eating some great food along the way.

Also - I am not an expert on juicing but I would venture to guess two things -- you didn't "lose" eight pounds - you lost some fat, some muscle, and mainly water weight. So #2 - it would not be unusual for your body to hang on to a little water in the days following the end of your juicing regimen.

So hang in there - live abundantly - and eat well no matter what the scale might say on any given day. :bigsmile:
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jeff!! I am definitely going to keep going, it was just so frustrating seeing that lol. One of the first things I thought of this morning after getting on the scale was...Forget it...Im going right now to go make me a sandwich (my all time fav thing) and a cup of coffee with sugar and cream! LOL Of course I didnt do that, but that was the way I felt:) I will take your advice on only getting on the scale maybe once a week from now on:) I know this is the best for me, its just hard sometimes waiting on the results from those choices to start showing up I guess:)
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are making great, healthy choices. I completely understand the scale frustration...I am actually going through something similar myself!

I agree with Jeff, you should definitely skip weighing yourself every day. Our bodies fluctuate so much on a daily basis and if seeing this fluctuations discourages you (like it does me!) then just try to check in on your weight once a week...on the same day and time.

Anyways, you are eating great and if you stick with this healthy lifestyle, I am sure you will see results! Don't be too hard on yourself and stay positive =]
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    What Jeff stated.
    Maybe go with measurements and not weighing yourself.
    With juicing your calorie intake is very low which might put your body in starvation mode, so any calorie taken in will be stored.

With Paleo/Primal remember you are eating healthy food, no processed and your body will thank you for it.

You can add me as a friend!
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!:) I really do appreciate all the help and support:)
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ Jeff as well.

But would like to point out, with being a woman your hormones will make your weight fluatate greatly. If you weigh yourself daily and keep track of it, you may even be able to predict these changes. (Like I gain 5 pounds the day I ovulate and "hold" that weight (for 2 weeks) until my TOM. This would make me nuts until I figured it out. You don't know how many weight loss attempts were foiled by this. I would be eating great, working out and then smacked with a gain of 5 pounds and would say screw it and throw in the towel. Had I not thrown in the towel and stuck it out another 2 weeks I would have found out that I have a HUGE loss that week. )
  • dwest1976
    dwest1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I do a 3 day juice fast every couple of months. I usually find I lose 5-6 pounds and then gain 2 back. What I mainly find it useful for is resetting my food priorties and restoring discipline.

If you end up losing a net 4 in 7 days that is huge. What you will probably find is that your weight loss will accelerate again after things settle down.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You say that you had no sugar during this juicing, but you likely had lots of sugar. Natural sugar is still sugar. I'm not a big fan of juicing. I don't think it's biologically appropriate and the good stuff is being discarded while the sugar water is being consumed. Were you consuming any fat and protein during this time?

I don't really understand juicing as Paleo. My health is reliant upon lots of healthy fat and meat. Of course I eat vegetables, and limited nuts and fruits, but I consider them side dishes to the essential protein and fat.

So is the juice detox for rapid weight loss or are you focused on long term health? Long term health is achieveable by eating healthy foods every day, no "detox" required. The way I eat now is the way I will eat the rest of my life so I really don't need to obsess about the number on the scale every day. Find an enjoyable, sustainable way to eat for life and if the scale derails you, get rid of it.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Akimajuktuq. TBH I don't like encouraging extreme 'detox' diets at all. Obviously you were doing it with the purpose of shedding weight quickly. Which happens, because you're starving yourself and only consuming green stuff that will go right through you! So yeah, you'll drop weight right away. Is it sustainable or healthy? No. And I'm not at all surprised that you're putting some of the weight back on.

Honestly, if you're going to eat paleo, you need to view it as a long-term change rather than a quick fix.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    ^^ As was said above, I don't know how sustainable a juice fast is (though I have a couple friends who dealt successfully with serious health issues -- kidney failure, and Crohn's, this way, against medical advice so I'm not pushing it). Everyone's different, but what is really working for me started with a Whole30 and continues with paleo/primal macros of 60/20/20 (fat is the first number) and enough calories to keep my body from going into starvation mode and hanging on to every calorie.

What I liked about the Whole30 was that it helped me stop obsessing over food or not-eating, gave me energy I hadn't had in years, took away cravings, helped me sleep better, significantly reduced joint pain, and regulated my appetite and blood sugar so that I am almost never hungry, and never get the low blood sugar shakes anymore.

Don't know if it is something that would appeal to you, but I am glad to say I have finally found something that works for me, and that I can follow forever.

What worked for me, in short: Whole30, followed by setting carb and protein levels (among other things) recommended by MarksDailyapple.com.